Has MW/DW actually sorted the defensive issues without needing to sign anyone?

JWAC

That's been a few games we've won 1-0 and don't seem to be cut open so much through the middle from breaks. 

I was shouting for a defensive mid during January, based on the fact we were dominating teams and occasionally letting them score too easily on the break. The lack of being clinical upfront still worries me when we're creating the many chances we create but it seems, for the moment, we're more sorted defensively.

Kiernan and Wilson are playing much better together now, which is to be expected with players who've never played together in a team mostly who've never played together either. I've been a bit critical of Halliday too as a defensive mid which isn't his natural position but that's the area I was most concerned about and I think he's proving his worth now.

Glad to get these 3 consecutive games on artificial pitches out the way but I'm more happy seeing us being more savvy in defence. I was pissed off when we didn't get Diagouraga  because I thought that was the area we really needed to strengthen, it seems the management have toughened up defence without needing new players.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, kaiser1041 said:

Both full backs have been reigned in leaving the centre backs less exposed.it wasn't rocket science though I personally prefer ball in there as opposed to Halliday in that defensive roll.

the stats are there to see the improvements 

I'm not too sure about Ball. Can't remember if it was against Falkirk at home he played that position but he seemed to slow down the midfield too much

No, we got out of jail a couple of times, QOS should have scored today. I thought we were fortunate to come away with all 3 points. Looking at the stats, I think that is the most amount on target any team has had against us, and I include the STJ, Hivs Falkirk matches where we lost.

We need to take chances to relieve pressure on the defence, we have failed to do that the last few weeks.

6 minutes ago, sergio said:

No, we got out of jail a couple of times, QOS should have scored today. I thought we were fortunate to come away with all 3 points. Looking at the stats, I think that is the most amount on target any team has had against us, and I include the STJ, Hivs Falkirk matches where we lost.

We need to take chances to relieve pressure on the defence, we have failed to do that the last few weeks.

They should have scored? And what about us? Shall we score the match by chances that should have been scored?

Ok then.......100-3 Rangers.

Just now, Getstiffed said:

They should have scored? And what about us? Shall we score the match by chances that should have been scored?

Ok then.......100-3 Rangers.

The Topic is have we sorted the defence, and I said not on that showing, you're kidding yourself on if you think we did well defensively against QOS. 

"And what about us"  I said we need to take chances early on, and we didn't do so. 

4 hours ago, jim white's a bear said:

I'm not too sure about Ball. Can't remember if it was against Falkirk at home he played that position but he seemed to slow down the midfield too much

Agreed. I believe it was Falkirk. He looked every bit a centre back playing in midfield. I like the big man but for me he's not a solution at DM, and I don't think he's of the quality we need going forward at CB. I'm sure he'll go back to Spurs.

As for the OP's question - the defense has definitely stepped up from the start of the season. As someone above mentioned, Wallace and Tav have both been reined in. Danny Wilson has recovered from his early season horror show and is in good form atm.  Kiernan has made a couple of mistakes in the last few games but, crucially, they have not cost us. I am a big fan of his, actually. 

That said - we looked like conceding from every corner Queens put in the box today. We were sloppy at times and lucky not to concede but for big Wes. However, a crucial 3 points and we all know you cant win pretty every week. Onwards and upwards.

8 hours ago, cushynumber said:

There is 2 things we have gambled on in January - no centre forward and no centre mid.

I think ball can cover in midfield, but the injury to waghorn has highlighted how light we are up front in goal scoring terms.

Ball's never a holding midfielder for me, has never looked convincing and was all over the place v killie, and not in a good way! 

Imo Halliday has been outstanding in that roll.

Wilson has improved to the point that he is consistent. But I think he's still overshadowed by Kiernan despite kiernans mistakes being more costly when they do happen (the draw 2-2 draw for example and he repeated a similar mistake against Killie but scavenged it)

Think he didn't deserve the yellow card yesterday, there wasn't anything in it and compared to the challenges done on us which saw players getting blocked outright, pulled back and latched onto. 

Still rate the big man highly though and glad we have him. He does get business done, good on him taking that cunt Lyle out again. 

We hung on for grim death,  the same old problems still exist from the start of the season, not taking our chances and looking like conceding. We were under severe pressure yesterday and held on after scoring a fluke goal, I'am not convinced this team could handle better opposition, something has to change and not just in defence.

I think W&W will know exactly what is required for next season and along with Mcparland will be identifying players already.All defences are guilty of losing goals and all forward lines are guilty of missing chances.We have had multi million pound defences in the past lose goals to forward lines put together for 2 bob.We have also had multi million pound forward lines fail to score against defences put together for 2 bob.Its football and that's the nature of the game we are not the finished article and MW has never said we are so let him and the rest get on with their jobs which they are doing well enough at the moment.

We have definitely become a lot more solid at the back and all credit to the management staff and players for that.

We are still way to vulnerable from set-pieces, particularly corner kicks. There were 3 or 4 time QOTS had a free header in the box and that isn't good enough.