Dom Ball next season

DOMINIC BALL would consider extending his loan spell at Ibrox. 

The defender is set to return to parent club Spurs in the summer. 

But after helping Rangers secure the Championship title, the 20-year-old admits he’d love a crack at the Premiership next season. 

Ball said: “I’d definitely look at another loan spell. 

“I’m contracted to Spurs and so far the decisions they have made putting me into certain clubs have been the right ones. 

“It’s the manager’s decision based on what I do when I go back on pre-season. At the moment it’s hard for me to say as I don’t know what the options will be. 

“But I’ve loved my time at Rangers and it’s a massive thing going into a club where you know the manager and you get on with him. 

“It helps massively that he knows what I can bring to the team. 

“In the end there will be a lot of decisions that are out of my hands, but I think they will be the right ones for me. 

“The manager said to me at the start ‘that my job is to make you a better player when you go back to Spurs’. And he has helped me massively.”

Ball insists similarities between Mark Warburton and his boss at Spurs Mauricio Pochettino are there for all to see. 

He stressed: “Both managers are very similar. They like a high pressing game with high intensity and it’s a lot to do with the mentality. 

“Moving from one to the other was easy. I was training with the first-team at Spurs but not really involved. 

“Here I was a real part of it. At Spurs there are two or three world-class players and I was trying to get in. 

“The experience of me coming to Rangers means that I now have more about me to go back to Spurs and try to push again.”

Poch and Co could seal a dream title double for Ball if they can overhaul Leicester in the race for the Premiership crown. 

Ball added: “I have kept an eye on it — Leicester are seven clear and it’s tough now. 

“But Spurs have been brilliant — the best since I’ve been there — and it’s all about the mentality shown by the manager down there.”

It won't be a popular opinion but I'd probably say no to him coming back for another loan.

Stuggled to get in the team and when he does lately it's not in his best position. If he can't displace DW & RK for a place in the championship then he's no chance in the SPL once we bring in another better CB or a better DM.

4 minutes ago, MasterD said:

It won't be a popular opinion but I'd probably say no to him coming back for another loan.

Stuggled to get in the team and when he does lately it's not in his best position. If he can't displace DW & RK for a place in the championship then he's no chance in the SPL once we bring in another better CB or a better DM.

There was a while where he started consistently ahead of Danny Wilson. He's also been Robs replacement when he's not been availble (granted that's just twice)

I think there would be a place for him, giving his age and that he's already done a good job he's prone to improvement. I'd take him and another CDM. That way we have cover and a boy whose going to learn his position.

In two minds about this tbh, he's better than Wilson imo but would still rather see a more commanding no nonsense CB come in and DCM is a role that will be where games are won and lost next season  imo and that role isn't for him all though he done a decent job at championship level when he played there we need a tougher player in there Souness tough, Hurlock tough, Alex Rae tough to break up play and not be bullied off the ball and offer more protection to the back two.

if he stayed it would need to be back up for a permanent player we bring in. Loans aren't going to generate any cash in terms of selling on players and when they leave your back to square one of finding another player to gel with the defence we already have. Not ideal when your pushing for a title.

I'd be happy with him staying as he can cover defence and defensive midfield positions and is reasonably capable. 

I think his game time would be less next season though as we likely re-enforce defence and defensive midfield positions. He and Spurs may not be happy with him remaining if he is likely to get less game time. 

If it's for centre back then yes, because he's certainly a lot more composed than Kiernan and has a bit more pace too. If it's as a DM then no, we really need to sign someone permanently for that role, and as we've seen Halliday can cover albeit it's not his long term position.

Not too sure about this, has had more bad games than good i.e. Falkirk, but had a cracking game against Dundee.

Maybe a loan deal with a view to offering him a contract at the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

We need a more experienced DM and he won't be first choice CB any time soon. IMO he wouldn't be guaranteed the amount of games to make it worth it for Spurs so I don't see him coming back. Best of luck to the boy, he clearly is loving his time here.