Lack of transfer fees..

2 hours ago, Ger77 said:

If we can win the league without paying any transfer fees I will be delighted.

If the signings don't work and we fail to win the league, the buck stops with the Manager and Board.

Whomever comes in must get our backing 100%.

Both have got our backing so far especially in terms of STs, it's now over to them to deliver 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, stevemartin1991 said:

Youve got to look at the bigger picture, until our merchandise deal is sorted we will continue to use the market wisely. 

If you want us to spend 5 million on players and the. Take loans out halfway through the season you are moronic.

we are a team rebuilding. The stadium is getting slowly improved, our shite players are gone, we are getting in a mix of players. 

I would be more worried if we were throwing money at players. Time have changed. Lets hope it pays off. Going for 55

The clock is ticking and winning 55 outweighs all things IMO

10 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Not overly concerned about lack of transfer fees yet. Under contract players tend to happen later in the window compared to free transfers that are looking to move quickly.

We need a quality CB and striker, if there's none available for free then money has to be spent, if it's not then it's either the board not having the money or MW underestimating the challenge ahead, or a bit of both.

MW underestimating has me concerned 

3 hours ago, Tav's Bandage said:

Anybody else worried about this and the way we are doing our business?.

I am not saying for one minute that you need to spend millions to be successful but i dont like the idea of getting near record season ticket sales and not a lot of solid investment going into the team.

I know its early days but i thought that Barton and Rossiter was an early indication that we mean business, however a lot of the players that have been linked thereafter dont fill me with great confidence.

I may well be wrong but i would like to see us broaden our horizons a little more in the transfer market, there are a lot of talented players in the European leagues that have great potential/sell on value.

Investment in the team can be via wages as well as fees - it's a different world these days and lack big transfer fees are not really a worry 

4 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

MW underestimating has me concerned 

Might not be a case of underestimating the challenge, he maybe just has faith in the players he has and who he has been planning on bringing in since January. We know we need competition for places this year so I'd expect several more to come in. If we end up signing 7/8 players then there is no way we could afford fees on them all but 6 for free and a couple with a fee involved seems entirely possible.

I'm going with the idea that MW sees the current squad as being pretty solid and that the signings he is making are targets that will fit into his ideas for the team as a whole rather than just signing a couple of big names. We have some good young players who lack experience and those that are coming in will help with that. He might be taking a gamble but it might just be worth it.

It's hard to predict it would be great if we could win on a budget with cheap or free players but i'ts going to be a lot harder this year and you cannot predict how those players will respond to playing for a big club with real expectations.

I think we will just have to wait and see, would like to see real quality up front if at all possible.

If we can pick up underrated players for nothing and they become stars and we get a big fee form them down the line,  what's the issue?  If we pick up a player that is proven to be a top class player coming to the end of his career but is still streets ahead of anything else in the country for nothing,  then what's the issue? 

I'd like to see more movement but I'll wait till closer to the window closing before making judgement. Id like another couple of signings like Barton that will excite the fans and have us going into this season with a buzz, we need to be full throttle from the start this season. I'm not going to get ahead of myself but I'd like to see us come out all guns blazing and go into the first OF top of the league by at least 3 points although that will be a struggle

Reserving judgement, don't want us spending silly money, which we don't appear to have anyhow.

Midfield now has great depth, not too bad upfront though a bit thin.  My real oncerned is lack of quality and lack of depth at the back, even if our back 4 and keeper were superstars we have little cover if any get injured.

Look at the quality weve brought in for free. Is there any real need to be spending money at the minute?

The money saved in fees, means we can push the boat out a bit in wages for the likes of Barton, and Mariappa. 

12 minutes ago, gersandy said:

Look at the quality weve brought in for free. Is there any real need to be spending money at the minute?

The money saved in fees, means we can push the boat out a bit in wages for the likes of Barton, and Mariappa. 

We should be able to do both. Our wage bill must be under £10m, we were promised investment.

People adding wages into investment are clutching at straws when the added wages so far probably equal what just left the club.

3 hours ago, To Be A Ranger said:

I'm going with the idea that MW sees the current squad as being pretty solid and that the signings he is making are targets that will fit into his ideas for the team as a whole rather than just signing a couple of big names. We have some good young players who lack experience and those that are coming in will help with that. He might be taking a gamble but it might just be worth it.

What good young players do we have that lack experience? Our Young players have all been loaned out.

Don't really get the obsession with spending money on transfer fees. If there are players available for free that the gaffer thinks are good enough then surely we should be signing these players rather than paying a fee for a player of similar quality.

1 hour ago, MasterD said:

We should be able to do both. Our wage bill must be under £10m, we were promised investment.

People adding wages into investment are clutching at straws when the added wages so far probably equal what just left the club.

Yup the calculations seem to be done differently depending on the circumstance :P

3 hours ago, Gooseman said:

If we can pick up underrated players for nothing and they become stars and we get a big fee form them down the line,  what's the issue?  If we pick up a player that is proven to be a top class player coming to the end of his career but is still streets ahead of anything else in the country for nothing,  then what's the issue? 

Correct, and if the freebie don't work out there is no financial damage done.

People saying they expect offers to go in soon or after July 1st. Which positions would you be targeting? If we sign Kranjcar and Mariappa then I think MW has his starting line-up sorted. The only position left to spend money on would be a number nine striker and possibly a goalkeeper although I think Wes will be the number one. Therefore the only signings left to be made would be back-ups and squad players and there will be not be a large amount of money spent on those players.

1 minute ago, Gandhi1872 said:

People saying they expect offers to go in soon or after July 1st. Which positions would you be targeting? If we sign Kranjcar and Mariappa then I think MW has his starting line-up sorted. The only position left to spend money on would be a number nine striker and possibly a goalkeeper although I think Wes will be the number one. Therefore the only signings left to be made would be back-ups and squad players and there will be not be a large amount of money spent on those players.

We certainly need a clinical striker you only have to look at chances created to goal scored to see that.

It's all very well saying we should be signing gems from Europe but exactly how many foriegners do we have??  Start going European and we could end up with segmental cliche dressing rooms ala advocaat last season. 

Warburton wont risk making an arse of the job by signing people who could divide the squad.  Also the transfer fee side doesn't bother me in the slightest. Free agents from the English championship are a far higher standard than anything Scotland can throw at us.  

27 minutes ago, Smile said:

We certainly need a clinical striker you only have to look at chances created to goal scored to see that.

Yeah that is the only position I think MW will feel he needs to fill in his starting line-up and the only position left that we might spend money to buy someone.