Joey sent home

scottjf82

This debacle will show the mentality of the players as well.

They either react and hammer Ross County as a get it up ye tae Barton work your way back into the team or they flop completely and let this get to them. We'll find out even more about our squad on Saturday again

The Club obviously had no contingency plan in place for managing someone who is arguably the most high profile player in the Scottish game and as recent history tells us, for not much else either. It's not like we didn't know the mhedia don't do us any favours and we either mitigate that or just bend over. No matter who the bad guys are in all this, it has been badly handled.

Sure, Barton is his own worst enemy, but again, it's not like we didn't know.

He is an employee of the club and and a very well known quantity, but we have still failed to manage both him and the circus that surrounds him.

Whether he comes back or not is neither here nor there in the bigger scheme of things. We all know what the problems are and there can be no more excuses.

Seems this episode might take a bit of work for the Club to sort out.   Cool - but hard - heads are needed at Ibrox and emotion needs to take a back seat.    The maverick streak in Barton has resurfaced and whether he really appreciates it or not (or even whether he really cares about it or not) his actions and words and Rangers actions (banishment) but no words are simply providing fuel to a thirsty anti-Rangers media.  Journalistic field days are being had on this story, with no sign yet of how Rangers are going to bring this to an orderly conclusion.    Just sitting it out until Monday doesn't seem quite the right response in the face of Barton's media campaign.

So.  What to do?    I would have thought a way forward would be for Warburton and Weir to meet with Barton immediately - not a phone call but a face to face meeting.    The objective being to agree that at the very least Barton holds his tongue with the media and says nothing more that could risk inflaming matters further.   He must come to terms with the fact that it is the Club's reputation and good name that risks being adversely affected and it is giving an already hostile media the sort of story that Rangers could well do without.   

If tempers have cooled sufficiently, and if both Rangers and Barton are prepared to continue with each other and Barton undertakes to apply better ways of channelling his football talents for Rangers and better ways of communicating his views to his coaches and colleagues then maybe this spat can be turned into useful improvement in Barton's performances and the performance of the team.   Phew.....that seems to be a big ask though.   

Barton's track record works against him and there is only so much a Club can take with mavericks.   But then this was known by Rangers before Barton signed.   I wonder if the Club - MW in particular - is willing to try again to channel Barton's style to make it work for Rangers?   It may not be so much management that Barton needs but a firm authoritative boss who once he directs then that's the deal and Barton gets on with it or gets out.  Actually, the same applies to the other players too.    

Of course its also possible that Rangers and MW will simply try to play all of this down by saying that it just shows that all the players, including the new players, were hurting over the poor OF performance and about results so far and whilst stuff went a bit far to the point that some breathing space was needed, it shows the players have a passion for Rangers and its MW's job to harness that constructively and effectively........matter is behind us and we move on.   

I bet there will be a few journos and cameras at the training ground on Monday to see if Barton turns up and to see what he has to say for himself.    

Meanwhile there is a game to be won on Saturday.   Seems this season so far is characterised by games which are preceded by some distraction or other which is not really ideal for the squad.

46 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Making a player who plays every week captain for a one off game against lower league opposition isn't in anyway comparable to what PLG did with Rae.

No player should just walk into being Captain at Rangers, that's the Problem we have with Warburton and PLG they don't realise the significance or Honour it is to Captain Rangers and hand it out like its a prize for Failure.

It's like Yesterday with nobody died comment he doesn't get it for me.

Just in case anyone things I'm trying to defend Barton I'm not, if we do have proper legal ground to dismiss him I'd probably go for it and hopefully use the wages elsewhere. But reality is we probably don't and the fact he's one of our highest paid players is a problem we've not got much cash to spare 

1 minute ago, Smile said:

No player should just walk into being Captain at Rangers, that's the Problem we have with Warburton and PLG they don't realise the significance or Honour it is to Captain Rangers and hand it out like its a prize for Failure.

It's like Yesterday with nobody died comment he doesn't get it for me.

Out of the side that started that night who should have had the armband?

2 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Just in case anyone things I'm trying to defend Barton I'm not, if we do have proper legal ground to dismiss him I'd probably go for it and hopefully use the wages elsewhere. But reality is we probably don't and the fact he's one of our highest paid players is a problem we've not got much cash to spare 

Your famous sarcasm again?

Joey Barton has confirmed to talkSPORT he has been banned from Rangers’ training ground, but has called his expulsion ‘strange’ and insisted he ‘has done nothing to apologise for’.

Reports surfaced on Thursday night that Barton had been ordered to stay away from Murray Park by manager Mark Warburton following a training ground row with team-mate Andy Halliday.

The fall out came on the back of the Gers’ humiliating 5-1 defeat to bitter rivals Celtic on Saturday.

Barton has been involved in numerous unsavoury incidents throughout his career but he insists this latest one has been blown out of proportion by the Scottish side.

Speaking EXCLUSIVELY to Jim White on talkSPORT, the outspoken midfielder, who joined Rangers on a free transfer in the summer, said: “They’ve told me to stay away but there are a lot of misconceptions out there at the moment.

“I’ve been asked to revaluate the way I’m thinking, but I don’t think that’s going to change - I want Rangers to win!

“We lost to our fiercest rivals at the weekend and we’ve been picking the bones of how we get better, how we get Rangers back to the top of Scottish football.

“We’re asked for an opinion and I’m someone who gives an opinion. Two passionate Rangers players have then shared opinions on how we get better and what’s going wrong - it’s nothing more and nothing less than that.

“Obviously sometimes the way I communicate can be a bit blunt, a bit direct, and it ruffles people’s feathers, which I know I have to work at, but I don’t apologise for trying to win.

“There is absolutely no issue with me and Andy. There was no anger. We sat down in the dressing room afterwards and spoke through what was said. It’s disappointing that certain people are trying to insinuate that there is, because it’s completely false.

“Andy is a mad, passionate Rangers fan, he’s stood in the terraces, so I’ve got great respect for him. He cares deeply about making the club better, as it do.

“But the way it’s been handled is strange.

“When you look at my history and you’re told to stay away from the club, it does look like something more has happened, and that’s why I’ve decided to get on the radio and speak.”

Asked why Halliday hasn’t also been told to stay away from Rangers after the disagreement, Barton explained: “Because Andy stopped on the training ground.

"The manager pulled me in afterwards and asked me to explain what I’d said and I’d told him in no certain terms where I believed it to be at.

“So he’s saying I need to go away and think things through. Whilst I didn’t agree with that, he’s the manager of the football club and I have to accept that.”

Then, quizzed about whether he had apologised to Mark Warburton, Barton replied: “…I don’t believe I’ve done anything to apologise for.

“It’s the tone of language I’ve used [that was the problem].

“Maybe I don’t communicate like somebody who has been educated at Eton, but that’s not me, I’m from Liverpool. I communicate how I communicate and I want to win football matches.

“It can be bristling at times and for that I take responsibility. Maybe I could communicate better and I accept that, but the message doesn’t change.

“It’s not the wrong message I’m communicating, and it’s unfair for anybody to say that is the case.”

http://talksport.com/football/i-havent-done-anything-apologise-joey-barton-lifts-lid-rangers-ban-exclusive-talksport

10 minutes ago, BF2 said:

Just listened to it. The players were asked for an opinion, they gave it and MW called Barton into the office. Sounds like JB has told MW what he thinks of his plan A and goal of being 2nd in the league. 

I havent heard the interview but read someone elses comment about how he has no issues with Halliday. Could the point of his call been to try and calm the situation and say that there is no issue with Halliday and Warburton. The press are loving this as soon as it happened all I heard in the press was is this the end of his Rangers career. This happens on training grounds all the time. He might not have had permission from the club by going on the radio trying to defuse the situation and it may have back fired a bit for him but good intentions.  

Just now, Sweetheart said:

Just listened to it. The players were asked for an opinion, they gave it and MW called him into the office. Sounds like JB has told MW what he thinks of his plan A and goal of being 2nd in the league. 

Seems a bit childish asking for opinions then binning someone who gives them.

To be fair..  The actual interview is more passionate than yesterday's presser..  he wants to be here and knows we are playing shite. Bigger question is how it leaked and why. 

We asked for a shake up of the team after Saturday and we have got it let's see how it plays out now.

1 minute ago, Figo said:

To be fair..  The actual interview is more passionate than yesterday's presser..  he wants to be here and knows we are playing shite. Bigger question is how it leaked and why. 

We asked for a shake up of the team after Saturday and we have got it let's see how it plays out now.

Incoming...you'd better keep your head down.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Gilks, Tav, Kiernan, Hill, Hodson, Barton, Rossiter, Kranjcar, O'Halloran, Dodoo, Forrester. 

Which one gets the armband? Also, it's worth adding it was also Kiernans 50th start.

Clearly JB should have got it...oh wait. Definitely O'H was the man. Naw, just joking. It should have been Hill.

Just now, The Dude said:

Gilks, Tav, Kiernan, Hill, Hodson, Barton, Rossiter, Kranjcar, O'Halloran, Dodoo, Forrester. 

Which one gets the armband? Also, it's worth adding it was also Kiernans 50th start.

Anyone but Kiernan Failure should not be rewarded by getting the Captaincy at Rangers 50 starts or not.

1 minute ago, Figo said:

He sounded upset. The team were asked for an opinion and he gave his view and got banished. I agree the bigger question is how it leaked and why.