A Bluenose

Tom0411

As long as I can remember "A Bluenose" has been an affectionate term for a Rangers supporter and wonder if anyone knows where it came from.

To the best of my knowledge I first heard it being used by an uncle who supported Airdrie round about the mid to late 50's.

Please don't tell me it is now a derogatory term and is on a banned list!!!

1 minute ago, bluedart1952 said:

Its to do with alcohol and cold weather while stood on the wonderful old terraces of Balmoor Stadium.

Fixed that for you.

Peterheid...Blue Toon...Blue Noses...then it spread southwards as the Peterheid True Blues made their way down to games.

Fact.

7 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

Fixed that for you.

Peterheid...Blue Toon...Blue Noses...then it spread southwards as the Peterheid True Blues made their way down to games.

Fact.

I was talking from my alcohol induced experiences, but thanks for the history lesson.

Original spelling was blewnose. A derogatory term used by the filth against us as they were disgusted that we used hankies rather than  hoiwk our snotters up and gob them out. But, because most of us are illiterate we now spell it bluenose and it's completely un-related to the colour we play in. Be ashamed OP, pish patter.

2 hours ago, Tom0411 said:

As long as I can remember "A Bluenose" has been an affectionate term for a Rangers supporter and wonder if anyone knows where it came from.

To the best of my knowledge I first heard it being used by an uncle who supported Airdrie round about the mid to late 50's.

Please don't tell me it is now a derogatory term and is on a banned list!!!

Was that your wicked Uncle Tommy?  :541:

Derogatory, well they turned the H word against us so put nothing past the cnuts