Garner

ready1873

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, delamonty said:

This thread has gone from (almost) serious to pish and back again to serious to complete pish lol   to... ?

I will say this...   Only our support can have a thread like this (tu)  WATP and GSTQ

Just gotta wait for it to turn into a rob kiernan bashing thread and all will be right in the world :wink:

43 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Just gotta wait for it to turn into a rob kiernan bashing thread and all will be right in the world :wink:

I don't get the hype surrounding Kiernan. He's useless. What exactly did he do on Saturday? ... (Is that better for you now RFCR? :) )

9 hours ago, William McBeath said:

Nah, I've still yet to see anything to indicate he will score much. He fails to connect with much of what we put in the box and it seems like he's just poor at his timing. Same with a lot of headers.

To be fair on him though he's not really had many chances from in front of goal because there is always so many bodies in the way. He is useful too in pulling defenders around and gets them irritated with his rough house tactics. Probably gets other players fired up which has often been lacking this season.

No doubt he'll do well in this league when we get stronger but I doubt he'd do so well in big games against good European sides or maybe even the unwashed because he's not like a Miller when he was younger. He'll just become isolated or too deep to be effective. He still looks more like a poacher to me who would be best suited to having a partner near him.   

His timing in the air is excellent otherwise he wouldn't win so many flicked on headers.  Also Kiernan got his goal in part due to Hearts being all over Garner...see Hearts defence ripping his jersey when Tav puts the ball in.

He's hardly had a barrel load of chances. If he was missing chance after chance every game then I'd get the point of him not scoring enough. I can't remember him even having a chance to score on Saturday, Aberdeen maybe one chance which he put wide and Hearts at Tynecastle he came on and had a brilliant header cleared off the line which was very unlucky.

His general play right now is pretty good in terms of bringing others into the game and occupying the defenders for others to have space. The goals will come if he keeps playing how he is IMO.

He is fantastic in the air which is a shame because we very rarely manage to find him during games, he scored some amount of headers for Preston

Tbh the signing is surprising given the way he plays, you would think MW would have preferred someone with pace and more of modern day striker, Garner is definitely an old fashioned striker

I like him, think his desire pays off and his work rate is superb, defenders fucking hate him, I know I always used to hate playing guys who wouldn't give you a second on the ball, knocking you over, sometimes going in late, used to make me make a quick pass which was always shite :lol: 

He will be instrumental in getting us into Europe

We've still to get used to finding him in the box. 

A few weeks back he was constantly coming short for it and by the time it was whipped in he was a yard or two away from the ball because he came short, trying to get involved in the game. 

Now our wide men have essentially stopped that kind of play as he's getting more involved with the direct outballs from the back. We need to find a happy medium with him, if we could produce on the wings I'm certain he'll score plenty. He had one snapshot in the past two games which was well blocked. Our wide players need to believe in themselves a little more. If he's the only player in the box be confident you'll find him. 

I still think he'll get close to 20 goals this season but if he keeps up what he's doing then I don't see the problem. Mckays goal came from a throw cause their CBs were too focused on Garner which meant their LB was caught out of position. Same with the first one. 3 of them trying to wrestle him to the ground allows Kiernan a free header. He has his worth in other areas of the pitch at the moment

10 hours ago, bam74 said:

Can't fault his work rate but that's about it. Least I would expect for 1.8 million. Honestly don't get the hype. We have become easily pleased.

Exactly what I've been saying all along no end product though, not good enough to be a Rangers forward.

1 hour ago, Boybluesy said:

His timing in the air is excellent otherwise he wouldn't win so many flicked on headers.  Also Kiernan got his goal in part due to Hearts being all over Garner...see Hearts defence ripping his jersey when Tav puts the ball in.

Yeah that's what I meant about pulling players around. His timing might seem good with a long ball he can watch but he always seems to fail to connect with his own chances or scuffs and misses them. That's why he hasn't scored many. He's missed a lot of chances because he fails to get on the end of them.

Hopefully he's just finding his feet though because if he starts scoring then he becomes well worth his jersey given the fight in the boy.

He's a strange one. Smaller than Ally but with the style of Hately. Scored 1 in 3 for Preston I think which is good. But right now he looks like a not very clinical version of Scott McDonald who would scrap with defenders, go go headers, but scored more.

If he starts to find the net regularly then he will have been worth the money. But it's too much to pay if it turns out scrapping is the main part of his game.

9 hours ago, smell the glove said:

Who are your favourites at the moment incidently?

Thats a good question. Probably Rob Kiernan at the moment as he has steadied the ship in terms of his performance and is showing a level of consistency. I like Tav when he is bombing forward - though some of his defensive errors are cringeworthy.

The rest are similar to tav in some respects - from the sublime to the ridiculous from one game to the next and its that lack of consistency I find really annoying.

If we take the money we paid for him out of the equation, I'd say he was a useful player for us and I like him.

If we decide to factor in the fact that we paid 1.8 million pounds for him then I'd say we paid over the odds for him.

Is he better than Adam Rooney or even Rory McAllister at scoring goals?

9 hours ago, Smile said:

The money spent on him was to get us goals he has to start banging them in.

How do you know that?

The money spent was on him to improve the squad, the first team, and help get us wins imo. He is doing that.

Unfair to judge him as a 30 or 40 a season scorer if that's not the requirements of the manager. Which if it is I've missed.

If he can continue to make us more dangerous up front, get team defending more and worried by our play, and get us winning more (regardless of who scores) then for me he'll be a success.

Which I don't think will be relevant anyway as i predict he'll score a good few sooner rather than later.

Guest Lloyd72

Joe Garner scored the majority of his goals for PNE from crosses into the box something we don't really do I think we need to start implementing more crossing into our play style to really get the best out of him.

19 hours ago, delamonty said:

Then again... Maybe it's not about Joe scoring goals.. but holding up play.. flick ons that create chances... Why do CBs come up for corners?  Because they are suddenly goal scorers?  No.  It's about creating issues in the box.. where chances are created.

Joe is playing that role.  Stop thinking he will score score +20 goals per season.  He is making a massive difference by being the out ball we have sorely lacked.  (tu)

Exactly - as ever I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinion however that anyone can be at the game (assuming that is the case) and not see what he contributes to the overall performance is beyond me.  It's no coincidence since he has hit form we have won two tough games imo.