We were much better today.

stevemac

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have improved greatly since the semi final,  and in patches we showed that they are an average side with a pair of above average players and one exceptional player.  While it pains me to say this,  they deserve to win this title...the form and consistency that they have shown to this point will not last and certainly will not be replicated next season.  I fully expect that come the start of next campaign we will be vastly improved and be stronger for this season. 

Where and when it counted we didn't have it. We lost and would have lost by more had they finished better or had Foderingham not been our best player along with McKay. We need new signings who are far better than the players we have. Today showed where we are lacking, but then again so have the all the other matches this season.

6 minutes ago, Goianegra said:

Windass was pish yet again. If only those 3.5Mil buy out clause rumours were true. He's not worth a tenth of that from what I've seen.

I'm not his biggest fan by any stretch, but he did put Tav away for the the goal and another similar one.

That said, he should have done more of that!

7 minutes ago, Goianegra said:

Windass was pish yet again. If only those 3.5Mil buy out clause rumours were true. He's not worth a tenth of that from what I've seen.

Unfair. Had Windass been brought into a more experienced and more talented midfield then he would gradually come on to a game. He has shown in flashes that he could be a good player.

Just now, HG5 said:

I'm not his biggest fan by any stretch, but he did put Tav away for the the goal and another similar one.

That said, he should have done more of that!

Lost count how many times he lost the ball on top of that though. Not looking like the player he was bigged up to be on here.

I don't know what it is, but the start was positive. We looked like we wanted to go for it. We get the goal then concede. Their player should have never had that space to smash the ball into our net. Soon as we conceded its like we lost our belief to win. We finished the first half okay but the heads went down and that continued soon into the second half. 

I think it's a lack of quality and also mental toughness from some players. That will cost us a fair few bob but it needs to happen. I hope we sign a real striker. No harm in Garner, he tries but we need someone that is going to score 20 plus for us. We need a creative midfielder who can take on a player, create something out of nothing. A bit like McKay on top form but we need that in the middle of the park. We also need an enforcer as I don't rate Andy Halliday. Think he would be a decent back up for Wallace at left back. He's far to casual at times and gets caught out. And I would get another pacy, strong centre back who can win headers and command his box. I would if we could get a proper winger who has pace to take on his player, ball control and cab whip a cross in for the new striker. Might be asking for much but that's what we need to challenge. 

5 hours ago, stevemac said:

I personally thought we were much better today. We conceded but we still hung in there, played much more confidently than the midweek. A few daft decisions maybe cost us (waghorn, Forrester for example) but as frustrating as it was at times you have to look at the positives that we did play much better.

FOD - top class. Not a lot he could do about either goal

Hill - top drawer 

Wilson and kiernan - much better than recently, wee bit shaky at times but didn't do a lot wrong.

Tav - flashes of decent play, but overall poor today.

McKay - top class. Taking men on, confidence under pressure, fantastic play today.

Halliday and Holt - felt these two had there bad moments (more so halliday) but overall better than recent performances.

Windass - excellent passing, movement, good drive.

Miller was great, waghorn not so much. Felt waggy was ineffective today. 

Let's hope 2017 is a better year 

here's the thing, I agree with you in that we were much better today than the other two Old Firm games, we started well, pressed high and played some nice football at times but when it's all said and done we still got beat and in the end we were lucky they didn't take 4 or 5 off us, so while I agree we played much better what does it really say when we still conceded plenty of excellent chances, I don't see how this can be considered improvement, I've never seen a tim team make so many chances in one half of football at Ibrox

4 hours ago, Goianegra said:

Lost count how many times he lost the ball on top of that though. Not looking like the player he was bigged up to be on here.

You won't get an argument from me on that!

Just a wee bit of balance, was all.

Happy new year to you & everybody out there in RM Land!

TBH I thought we were going to bury them early on, then my world turned to shit. There were some decent performances out there with McKay I thought a standout, but it all gets back to the big picture in that this squad are nowhere near good enough and we will have a season of further disappointment. Anyone guarantee a decent cup run? Exactly.

To close the gap on the scum in even this shit league it will take significant invest and this with the current leader and this board we simply fall down.

Live with this board and we are in for prolonged disappointment.

9 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

Then we're without a manger or do you have a replacement in mind in your plan of sacking the manager?

Rodgers spent £4.5M on one player in the summer to add to a group of internationals who have won the title the past few seasons. Warburton has built an entire team for less. I'm not sure what people actually expect from him with the budget he's had.

I kinda agree with the sentiment around the funds we have spent - i think Warburton has the ability to improve us but he doesn't have the funds.

We should have scored in 30 seconds. We should also have been 2 up but squandered easy enough chances with players taking nosebleads.

Poor and you just knew these missed opportunities we're going to bite us on the arse.

We just can't seem to fkn score when it matters.

1 hour ago, five stars said:

We were decent in the first half.

Second half was a shocking performance. 

MW subs didn't help.

Neither did our formation.

Or our lack of quality in midfield.

Disagree strongly on the formation. Our change to a 3-5-2 is the reason we started well and scored first. It's the reason Miller was in the six yard box to finish instead of running around somewhere in the middle of the park. It's the reason the scum took a lot longer to get on top in the middle of the park. We still had too lightweight (and lacking in quality) a group in there, but at least we didn't have three players trying to outplay five. It's also the reason we were able to create many more chances than we did at the girodome when we played 4-3-3 and didn't force a save from their keeper. All about opinions, of course.

I can understand why you would say we were better given the previous performances but it is still well short of what we should expect. In my opinion they looked fitter, stronger and hungrier than us in every position. We should have been the team with a point to prove today and right up for it. We were for the usual 20 mins but as per the tempo dies and we never ever regain it. He is an absolute cunt but today when we were on top the Lego munchers was letting the other cunts know it wasn't good enough and put the boot in when they needed it. We need to be targeting more physical players for this league.

Three games against Savco three defeats. And I can't see us taking anything off them in the games to come. With a potential cup game that would be six defeats to them. Regardless of our league position that "record" should,for a Rangers manager,see Warburton get the chop. It would be unacceptable. Can't take any positives at all,continually plays Tavernier who is diabolical when Hodson is the obvious choice,Halliday's "the fan who wears the jersey" nonsense is wearing thin,poor decision making when in good positions..could go on all morning. I never had any doubt Rangers would return to the top end of the prem,it's not exactly hard seeing the standard of Scottish football. My biggest fear was the club had had the guts more or less kicked out of it and it could be years of battling no mark clubs from the north east or the capital for second place. While Savco rack up the titles and trophies and sail into the horizon. Iv'e seen nothing to belay that fear.

15 hours ago, MelbourneBlue said:

Disagree strongly on the formation. Our change to a 3-5-2 is the reason we started well and scored first. It's the reason Miller was in the six yard box to finish instead of running around somewhere in the middle of the park. It's the reason the scum took a lot longer to get on top in the middle of the park. We still had too lightweight (and lacking in quality) a group in there, but at least we didn't have three players trying to outplay five. It's also the reason we were able to create many more chances than we did at the girodome when we played 4-3-3 and didn't force a save from their keeper. All about opinions, of course.

Three at the back did work initially. But it left alot of space. And towards the end of the first half their forwards were beginning to exploit that space, 

This continued into the second half when they were able to create many chances from play down the wings.

Switching to 4 at the back at half time would of made us much more solid and difficult to break down as by that time they had sussed out how to exploit the 3 at the back and it obviously didn't work for us in the second half. If it wasn't for Wes the scoreline could of been embarrassing.

On 12/31/2016 at 3:46 PM, Jamie0202 said:

McLeish isn't the answer either. Anyone remember his last season with us and the protests of we deserve better outside Ibrox after one of our games? The fact is Warburton has been given very little money to spend in comparison to the team we're expecting him to compete with. Sacking him won't increase the quality of players we have.

Crooks, Rossiter, Joey, Krancjar, Senderos, there's a bit of money.  You could also blow Dodoo over through a five pound note.