Beerman and Bates

Bad Robot

Bates is getting a lot of flak despite not conceding a goal in the 2 games he's played. Looks like a no nonsense centre half who needs to sharpen up a bit but considering the shambles of defensive mistakes we made when others were in CD I'd have him instead of Kiernen. Beerman looks like he could go on to stake a place in the team.

For 2 young untried defenders to come in and not concede a goal in 2 games they are doing well.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

It just shows how pish Kiernan really is tbh that a shite youth player comes in for a couple of games and does miles better than him.

Might have given you a like there except you had to spoil it by saying a shite youth player. Nonsense, he hasn't been shite. A few heart stopping moments maybe but doing fine and helping to keep clean sheets. 

3 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Might have given you a like there except you had to spoil it by saying a shite youth player. Nonsense, he hasn't been shite. A few heart stopping moments maybe but doing fine and helping to keep clean sheets. 

Alright, perhaps shite was a bit strong, he's been average. My point about Kiernan still stands.

10 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Bates is getting a lot of flak despite not conceding a goal in the 2 games he's played. Looks like a no nonsense centre half who needs to sharpen up a bit but considering the shambles of defensive mistakes we made when others were in CD I'd have him instead of Kiernen. Beerman looks like he could go on to stake a place in the team.

For 2 young untried defenders to come in and not concede a goal in 2 games they are doing well.

A no nonsense centre half? :lol:

Any time he had the ball at his feet there was fucking nonsense 

We can all see how exciting a prospect Beerman is. Technically sound, very pacey, and equally adept in defence and going forward. 

Bates does seem error prone on the ball, and in especially central defence that's not what we need. Hill will come back in once fit. That doesn't mean I think Bates should be written off - he seems much more comfortable when actually defending and competing in the air. He'll need proper coaching & maybe a good loan spell to really have a chance though.

Just now, BCLoyal9 said:

We can all see how exciting a prospect Beerman is. Technically sound, very pacey, and equally adept in defence and going forward. 

Bates does seem error prone on the ball, and in especially central defence that's not what we need. Hill will come back in once fit. That doesn't mean I think Bates should be written off - he seems much more comfortable when actually defending and competing in the air. He'll need proper coaching & maybe a good loan spell to really have a chance though.

Yes a loan spell with first team football would certainly benefit him but not to a lower division 

11 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Didn't want the ball at his feet at all. Either hoofed it up the park or got caught holding on to it. He's young but he simply isn't good enough.

As I said, needs to sharpen up a bit. I'd rather the centre backs hoofed it up the park rather than give it away to the opposing forwards, which is what happened on a regular basis previously.

I'm not saying he's the future of our defence, but we have come to expect such dross from our defence over the past year or so that it's good to go a few games without losing or even conceding goals. He was always on a hiding to nothing but has done ok (imo :p:)

I've been having a think about Bates and if you forget his poor passing/nervousness on the ball and focus purely on his defending then he actually did a decent job. Won the ball in the air, positioning was good most of the match, blocked crosses into the box etc.

He may not be the answer but If he can become more confident and comfortable with the ball he may end up a decent CB. I'd rather give him more of a chance then Kiernan.

In saying that though we need far far better at the back to have any hope of winning titles again.

Over the years, one of the hardest tasks in football must be that of a young centre-back trying to break into and prove himself in the Rangers first team.  Haven't seen enough of Bates yet to form an opinion on his Rangers future but don't relish his task.

Centre back is a difficult position for a young player to come into the team. 

Nich easier to be thrown on up front or out wide. 

He looks nervous and a little hesitant but hopefully he will settle. If ever there was a time for youngsters to be tried it's between now and the end of this season. 

14 minutes ago, BCLoyal9 said:

Yeah, going to somewhere like Stenny isn't gonna be much help. 

First team football anywhere is a step up from Development league. If he's not playing for us then playing regularly somewhere will be of much more advantage to us.

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

If Beerman was in green and white hoops he'd be the next 'ÂŁ10m' man. He's a cracking wee player. Losing Wallace to injury for a period of time is a blessing, as I've felt he's struggled for a while but can't easily be dropped.

i actually think Bates is a good 'defender'. Reads the game well, and covers good areas. He's also quite a big boy and does well in the air. Will need to learn that there's not the same time on the ball as he gets at U20, but though he was defensively very competent. 

Well done to Wilson today too - who had a big role in organising from the back. Hopefully he continues to step up. 

I like his desire to get the ball and fucking run with it. Much like Wallace in his early days with us. For such a young guy he didn't look out of place.