Realistically...

Celtic - 2 home wins / probably nothing at theirs - 6 points

Should be targeting 7-9 points against Sheep, Hearts, Hibs and St. Johnstone 

Maximum against every else

Hopefully total points of around 75-80. Normally need around 90 to win league.

A cup as well and groups of Europa if draw is kind

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not interested in the cups.

At least second in league, with a close gap. Hoping to win........

A wee run in the Europa League, hoping to avoid a good team on the way which would let us progress to group stage, where the income would be useful.

29 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

We will spend around £10 million. We've spent £7 million so far with Dorrans and Walker hopefully coming in you're looking at over £9 million easily. 

So you presumably bought your season ticket on the basis that second place is fine? 

Their season will never happen again. Everything went for them, as teams in Europe like the Red imps have shown they aren't as good as you or others think they are. 

You're writing us off before a ball has been kicked, you don't know how cellic will do this season. 

Yes he must win the league, like I said if he fails to win the other two trophies or get to the Europa group stages. Not winning a trophy and getting put out of Europe in July is a joke of a season, especially when you consider money spent. 

I bought my ST because that's what I do. Not because I expect to win the league.

Teams gel over time. I expect we'll need time. Their Red Imps scenario probably emphasises this and what happens over time.

It's not just about them but they are the benchmark in terms of team to beat. I don't anticipate them going unbeaten, but I do anticipate them strengthening more. I've seen what they are capable of. I've not seen what our squad can do so I can fairly judge them but only hope and guess what ours can do.

I'm not writing us off. I'm addressing the OP on what I deem to be realistic and why. Not blindly hoping that others will worsen and we'll so dramatically improve pretty much immediately given there is no evidence of this as the league hadn't started.

And typically I'd say most newly formed overhauled squads take time to do so. Time we can't afford to allowv bheasts to pull away. That's not even taking into consideration what 3 or 4 key injuries alone could do to decimate our chances.

It's all about opinions. But I believe every sinew of positivity you have about us progressing and bheasts deteriorating would have to come true for us to win the league. And I don't see that as realistic or a reasonable expectation.

Which id imagine is reflected by those not wearing blue tinted specs or delirious from a few signings. For instance the bookies who clearly have to be impartial and realistic and have the bheasts strong favourites and rightly so.

2 hours ago, He's blue he's white said:

What does Pedro need to achieve this coming season to call it successful.  I was allowing myself to go a bit OTT because of all the good news pre-season, but trying to be sensible what do we all think?

Group stages of Europa

Scottish cup

Within single digits of the great unwashed.

Outwith the Fair Play awarss Only three clubs have made it to the group stages of the Europa League from the first qualifier since it revamped in 2009 although two of those clubs have done it twice, the positive side is though its happened four times in the last two seasons, 3 times in 2015-16 and once last season, it'd be a monumental effort but with that in mind, failure to make it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat Caixinha with.

I want to win it every season but know that is not realistic, I want to pump those cunts at their own Midden and at Home. I don't want another season like the one just passed ever again.

It's hard to say what we can or cannot do till we see the team perform with all the new players.

for me, i want us to get 55. that should be our #1 priority this season

as a rangers supporter i always want to see us win trebles and do well in europe consistently season after season but i think we still need to be a bit realistic. i'm not quite sure if we can win 55 this season as it's too early to tell just how good Pedro and the players he brought in are. one thing i do believe is that we are significantly improved over last season and i believe we will get closer this season. at the very least i expect us to finish 2nd and be closer to 1st place than 3rd. again, it's too early, but i think it might take a little longer to fully strengthen our team. 

i just want to see improvement right now. there is still a way to go before we get back to where we were so need to think more with our head than heart. 

36 minutes ago, OhW said:

Come on, we can't use the Red Imps thing forever. It was an embarrassing result and funny to laugh at, but it was their first game under a new manager and we all know how dodgy early season European qualifiers can be. 

Oh trust me I will at every opportunity when those smug smelly bastards come up to me start giving it large about invincibles.

EDIT: I will also keep reminding them BJK at every chance too, just to kick them in the nuts and point out EBT's were legal at the time whether you like it or not, were those film companies?

27 minutes ago, OhW said:

Seen a lot of people saying similar, but aren't we a bit of an outlier? In normal circumstances we wouldn't be in Round 1 qualifying. 

I wonder how many teams make it from Round 2 into the group stages; the media seem a lot slower to tell us those statistics.

I'd normally agree but it's all about seedings, if weget past the first two rounds the bigger names from better leagues come into it, Rosenberg are one of those three clubs tht have managed it twice in recent years so it isn't impossible.

If we don't win the league this year it will be 7IAR for them...as Alex Ferguson once said that will be squeaky bum time for us. We need a significantly better league showing, firstly making sure we are not shown up on our own ground with them strolling around Ibrox, and secondly not dropping stupid points against bottom half of the table sides. If we do that we will be a lot closer than last year. 

Deep down common sense tells me the league is a massive ask for us, but I would rather we were successful there than a cup. Everything else is bonus. That said, Pedro is likely to be judged on trophies. 

1 hour ago, OhW said:

Of course, I know that finishing single-digits behind them would be progress. But if we can get within single-digits then we can win it. 

Agreed (I know I actually agreed with you ?) 

I took the OP to mean after the season was finished and we looked back what would be enough to keep you happy. 

Of course if finishing 9points behind after we had held a lead going into the second  half and of the season it would probably feel like a boot in the Baws. 

The treble and the group stages of the Europa League is the target - the Rangers standard.

But what is realistic and what would I accept? It's a difficult one.

I just can't bring myself to accept second to them as being good enough. A couple of wins at Hampden may make up for that and they are 4 wins ahead of us in the Scottish Cup, and we haven't won it for 9 seasons, so it would be nice to have it in the trophy cabinet again. 

Win the league! Anything else is a failure we're going to spend near on 10 million this summer we're not doing that to shorten the gap we're doing that to over take the tims. I genuially believe adding dorrans, walker and another player of decent quality we will challange.

36 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

I'd normally agree but it's all about seedings, if weget past the first two rounds the bigger names from better leagues come into it, Rosenberg are one of those three clubs tht have managed it twice in recent years so it isn't impossible.

There is most of the seeded teams in the 4th qualifying round

Seeded teams

Zenit Saint Petersburg CC: 87.106

Athletic Bilbao CC: 60.999

Winners of match involving  Galatasaray CC: 58.840

Fenerbahçe CC: 51.840

Sparta Prague CC: 48.135

Milan CC: 47.666

PSV Eindhoven CC: 46.212

Braga CC: 37.366

Gent CC: 35.480

PAOK CC: 35.080

Krasnodar CC: 32.106

Bordeaux CC: 29.333

Everton CC: 29.192

Marseille CC: 28.333

Dinamo Zagreb CC: 26.050

SC Freiburg CC: 20.899

Winners of match involving  Astra Giurgiu CC: 17.870

Austria Wien CC: 17.070

Panathinaikos CC: 15.080

Marítimo CC: 14.866

Sion CC: 14.415

Winners of match involving  Hajduk Split CC: 11.550

Winners of match involving  Apollon Limassol CC: 10.710

Winners of match involving  Mladá Boleslav CC: 10.135

2 hours ago, Tenerife Bear said:

The title. He's had his honeymoon period of humiliations last season. This is his team, he's had all the backing he's asked for and needed. Time to make good. 

the title maybe a bit over ambitious at this stage; but I admire you're positivity, hopefully at least a close second in the league; maybe run it to the wire; group stages of the Europa league would be immense for pedro and the fans

Might look up one of the "Pedro out" threads of late to see how many of those who wanted him sacked now have a "realistic" expectation we should now win the league.

No doubt the same ones who will want him sacked by September if we lose ground on the bheasts or they put us out a cup.

Instead of an objective approach where the complexities of gelling up to a dozen new players, by a new manager, in a short time frame, and underestimating a successful opponent who apparently can only be worse than last year, ...too many seem to revel in the pendulum approach where it's complete contrasts time and again.

And that can only lead to unnecessary pressure if calls for him to be sacked return because of excessive expectation.

18 minutes ago, gregswanson said:

the title maybe a bit over ambitious at this stage; but I admire you're positivity, hopefully at least a close second in the league; maybe run it to the wire; group stages of the Europa league would be immense for pedro and the fans

I think the group stages could be more difficult than winning the Scottish Premiership title if i'm honest. Depends on the draw of course. It's a complete lottery. 

A huge improvement in effort and aggression and ideas on last year.

Stop losing stupid goals and stupid points to diddy teams.

Beat the nonces at their own ground twice by a single injury time offside goal both times and beat them to the league by a point because of dodgy penalty.