Our full backs aren't good enough and are putting our keeper under pressure

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bob1873 said:

Was caught sleeping at their goal with Windass.

I'd say it was more windass, he walked away and pointed to Wallace to pick the man up just as the free kick had been took.

8 minutes ago, Gandhi1872 said:

I completely disagree when it comes to his ability with the ball at his feet. I remember that Tynecastle pitch being horrendous  though but I can see where you're coming from in that game. The throw ins often come from when he clips it out and the full back goes up to challenge with the winger. If the full back is in space very rarely does he miss the target. We won't get a better goalkeeper when it comes to clipping the ball out to the full back or into midfield. I imagine the manager tells his to hit out wide and there is a small margin for error when you're doing that. While I don't think we could get a better keeper technically, I agree there were times he would look a bit shaky under Warburton but only because it looked like he was.being instructed to pass it out at all costs. From what I've seen under Pedro, he is kicking it longer now from goal kicks and occasionally out his hands. 

Good post, maybe with a settled defence he can iron out these inconsistencies. However, I still think it would be worth giving Alnwick a chance in cup games and try to get competition for the jersey towards mid season.

6 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Good post, maybe with a settled defence he can iron out these inconsistencies. However, I still think it would be worth giving Alnwick a chance in cup games and try to get competition for the jersey towards mid season.

Yeah always good to have competition for places. Whether you agree or disagree with the keeper, we allowed them far too many crosses today from too much space out wide and cheap free-kicks. 

15 minutes ago, LaudrupsAsicsBoots said:

Both Hodson and Wallace disappointed me today.

Hodson because he was just awful.

Wallace because he's more interested in looking for the overlap than he is in defending.

Tav came on and improved the right side, we don't have that option with Wallace. That's a problem.

I totally agree 

correctBootsguy:lol: 

I thought Tav improved the right side greatly when he came on. Most of their crosses from then on in came from the left.

I keep forgetting we have half of the team who are still getting to grips with how the full backs operate and where to be when they are going forward. I thought Wallace done well to get forward after a couple of great passes to slip him through.

With a greater understanding between the back 4 and the wingers I think we are looking 100 times better than we did last year. Motherwell looked like they have improved, they kept the ball well and their crosses were excellent. 

I loved how our CBs took no nonsense, Alves was Fucking brilliant, every time a ball went forward he was there to just get it to fuck. We were put under a lot of pressure at times and due to some luck and some solid defending we seen it out. I'm taking some great confident from that seeing we are still a team to gel.

im more worried about the chances we missed i.e. Windass and Miller. We neee to bury those, realistically we should have 2-3 nil up going into half time.

Just now, .Williamson. said:

I don't like this change in username

Neither do I, Williamson. Neither do I.

It was a condition of him donating to my charity though and I'm not allowed to change it back until we lose a league game so hopefully I'm stuck with it for a while.

Just now, LaudrupsAsicsBoots said:

Neither do I, Williamson. Neither do I.

It was a condition of him donating to my charity though and I'm not allowed to change it back until we lose a league game so hopefully I'm stuck with it for a while.

Condition of who donating to your charity? I'm lost. 

Think tav will be decent this season and probably the best out of them all and especially at stopping crosses coming into the box l. Thought wes dealt with some of the crosses well coming out and catching a few and punching a few away. Yes he should of come for the one that they scored but we should of defended it better. LB would be my priority but can't see Wallace getting dropped. Glad to see tav back and sure he will start next game as hodson was terrible 

10 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I don't like this change in username

Everyone knows Laudrups favourite boots were Asics not Patrick's. 

A tenner donation by me to his (LaurupsAsicsBoots) very worthy cause changed all that. 

(Till the first loss of the season)

25 crosses into our box is a ridiculous statistic.remember Ray Wilkins saying Italian fullbacks took it as a slight if they allowed a free cross into the box the muppets we have as fullbacks have no idea and show no desire to stop them thus putting all the pressure on the goalkeeper and centre halfs.two new fullbacks needed asap.

Totally agree! Hodson just isn't good enough at all. He was sleeping at the back post for the goal & the Moult sitter as well as getting ripped to shreds in the second part of the first half.

As for the other side Wallace is terrible at the back. He is usually missing on the left and if he is back defending he never seems to want to block crosses (led to the two chances previously mentioned). However, I understand that when he is missing at the back it's because he's bombing forward and I do like him going forward. 

I think Tav is an upgrade on Hodson at right back. I do think if Pedro wants to have Tav and Wallace he needs to switch to a back 3 to accommodate them both. It could give Windass a free role and have us play 2 up top as well!

The other option could be finding a more defensive minded left back option in the Papac mould (tough I know). I always thought the balance with him and Whittaker  at full back was perfect.

38 minutes ago, JograBear said:

Hodson was the weak link in the team today. He didn't challenge for their goal. Tav came on and soon after the same ball was played into the box and Tav jumped with Cardoso to challenge it and the ball went away to safety.

Hodson is 1cm shorter than Tavernier, but Hodson looks like a midget when he plays. It is the strangest thing.

2 hours ago, Creampuff said:

I'm a huge fan of moaning about Fod not coming for crosses, and he should have come for the goal, but he showed much more intent to come and punch today; which was nice to see.

The point is, if the full backs done there job there wouldn't be a need for the keeper to rush out and punch the ball!