Our full backs aren't good enough and are putting our keeper under pressure

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Junior Soprano said:

Don't quite get were you're coming from???

8 minutes ago, Junior Soprano said:

Don't quite get were you're coming from???

Football from another era,I watched that 40 years ago, footballs progressed from then,at least we were trying to play on the deck

The ball in for their goal was never the keepers. Lb and Rb fucked up royally.

Wallace for being the captain should be telling Windass to keep tight on the two taking the free kick in case of a quick short one, which happened. 

The cross was a belter Hodson let his man go and that was that.

Not one of the so called experts blamed the goalie, In fact Pedro pointed out in the sky studio that Windass switched off.

If we need lb and Rb who's available.

16 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

Football from another era,I watched that 40 years ago, footballs progressed from then,at least we were trying to play on the deck

Football is still about who scores the most. No materr how you do it. 

Im not one for ripping into a team because the punt balls into the box to score. It's the game

id rather rip into the cunts that can't keep the ball out.

Last season we were vulnerable to an aerial assault losing goals from set pieces etc

We look more secure and can deal with aimless punts into the box no bother now. Thought Wes was more commanding than usual but the one time he stayed on his line we lost the goal!!

Pretty sure once teams realise we can handle an aerial bombarbment they will change tact.

I really laugh at people complaining about Wes not coming off his line for crosses and corners. Our last keeper who came off his line regularly was Chris Woods; Goram and Klos very very rarely come out for cross balls not just because of lack of height but that is the way they and keepers since then are coached.

Foderinghams lack of ability to control his 6 yard box is his biggest weakness. He makes some spectacular saves but lets himself down on balls coming into a crowded penalty area.

In saying that our fullbacks Wallace, Hodson, Tav need to do more stopping the crosses coming in. Thought Windass had a good first half in attack but woeful in defence, disappeared in the second half.

Id say Wes is a great shot stopper, good overall goalkeeper

He needs to work on playing the ball from the box, sometimes he looks nervous and it makes me nervous watching him.

He's saved us numerous times but there is work to be done before he can be called a great goalkeeper

8 hours ago, Junior Soprano said:

I think this is our weak point apart from not scoring enough.

this is gonna cost us this season.

OUr defence iis well improved from last season. We are nowhere near the finished article but we have 2 solid centre backs now who can read the game.

It's a base to work on and the transfer window is still open. Once class defender and we will be laughing.

Wee pieces in a big jigsaw.

Pedro's tactics are bizzaee, but do far most of the players he has brought in have done well.

Contrast his signings to MWs. Pedro signs guys with bottle. Men who are hungry for success.

A good defender to cover injuries and we will be solid at the back.

I thought that we defended better on the right than the left. However, our best attacking moves were from the left, Windass  hitting the frame of the goal twice, and Wallace shooting narrowly wide, on one occasion. That's just off the top of my head. 

When Tav  came on, we were a lot better, attacking wise on the right. 

Maybe we should have a back 3, with 2 wing backs in Tav, and Wallace? It could make us more fluid, and difficult to play against. Or we need our full backs to be more defensively minded, and not go rampaging up the park so often. ?

8 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

Totally agree! Hodson just isn't good enough at all. He was sleeping at the back post for the goal & the Moult sitter as well as getting ripped to shreds in the second part of the first half.

As for the other side Wallace is terrible at the back. He is usually missing on the left and if he is back defending he never seems to want to block crosses (led to the two chances previously mentioned). However, I understand that when he is missing at the back it's because he's bombing forward and I do like him going forward. 

I think Tav is an upgrade on Hodson at right back. I do think if Pedro wants to have Tav and Wallace he needs to switch to a back 3 to accommodate them both. It could give Windass a free role and have us play 2 up top as well!

The other option could be finding a more defensive minded left back option in the Papac mould (tough I know). I always thought the balance with him and Whittaker  at full back was perfect.

I think this would be the better option. We need someone who can stop the opposition punching a hole in our defence for the full 90 mins. I see that side as our weakness.

Papac was a legend,  I always remember that ball he headed, that nearly knocked him unconscious, that decision took baws and it's baws we need from a player in that position. 

1 minute ago, Sweetheart said:

I think this would be the better option. We need someone who can stop the opposition punching a hole in our defence for the full 90 mins. I see that side as our weakness.

Papac was a legend,  I always remember that ball he headed, that nearly knocked him unconscious, that decision took baws and it's baws we need from a player in that position. 

Baws all round required!

As much as our full-backs are limited, I still think it's a problem that starts further forward, where the concentration and discipline to close people down is still lacking. We were not helped today by Jack being ineffectual and Herrera not doing much of anything.

It's a process, a win is all that mattered, repeat...

13 hours ago, LaudrupsAsicsBoots said:

Both Hodson and Wallace disappointed me today.

Hodson because he was just awful.

Wallace because he's more interested in looking for the overlap than he is in defending.

Tav came on and improved the right side, we don't have that option with Wallace. That's a problem.

Tbh if we're dominating play this isn't a bad thing necessarily.

Bring back beerman!

I think it's going to become more and more obvious that our full backs are awful as we've strengthened every other area of the team.

The biggest problem we've got is we tend to see a lot of the ball so full backs are expected to be overlapping constantly so we are very vunerable to counter attacks, we've shipped so many goals from quick counters when wide players are out of position.

If he's going to go with windass then Wallace needs to be told to think harder about when to go,  a better team would have caused us some damage yesterday with the number of opportunities to cross they had. I was hoping for a lot more from hodgson defensively but looks like he needs a lot of games to get up to speed

14 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

Not sure if this is hyperbole or if our fullbacks genuinely let 25 crosses into the box but that's a problem

A lot of them were pretty pish & either under or over hit.

Were probably half a dozen which might be construed as 'his'.

29 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Tbh if we're dominating play this isn't a bad thing necessarily.

I'd agree with that. Sometimes I just think it can be a bit of a hindrance to our play. At one point yesterday Windass was trying to make a run down that wing and, rather than play the ball to him, Wallace waved him back in for the short pass and then made the exact same run by himself and we ended up losing possession.

If the overlap is there then by all means use it but don't try and engineer it when it doesn't need to be done.

6 minutes ago, Chineseboy said:

Honestly, the criticism of Wes is totally unjustified. He is a really fucking good keeper and we are lucky to have him.

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

He's not terrible but he's certainly not half as good as some on here make him out to be either. I certainly don't consider us lucky to have him.

Letting crosses in has been a problem for a long time . I can't for the life of me understand why the full backs don't close down much quicker . If we let that many crosses in we are bound to lose goals . We could be doing with better full backs but I can't think of who we could get within our price range 

4 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

Letting crosses in has been a problem for a long time . I can't for the life of me understand why the full backs don't close down much quicker . If we let that many crosses in we are bound to lose goals . We could be doing with better full backs but I can't think of who we could get within our price range 

Th full backs should look at Alves. He gets tight as hell on a player. To me, this is basic stuff, if you give a player no room then there's not a lot they can do with the ball. And backing off to let a player run into the box is unforgivable, as it's too late to make the tackle by that point.

18 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

Presumably we'd rather the cross come in from there than risk the winger getting past the full back and having free reign to cut back.