Rangers Picture Thread

16 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Was that at Station Park, Forfar?  I have a recollection of a gasometer very close to their ground.

Almost certainly. That was the free photo you got inside the newspaper on match day, that one appeared shortly after we played Forfar in the cup. Like many a bear back in the day that photo was up on my bedroom wall. 

5 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

What was our capacity?

Before my time 

Our record attendance was 118,567 against the scum on 2nd January 1939

We won 2-1 

Kinnear (17) Venters (40)

Capacity in the 60's was about 80,000

17 hours ago, Don54 said:

We won 2-1 

I was at two games in the  1960s Don where the official attendance was over 90 thousand.  One was a League cup tie against the dark side in August 1967 where Penman missed a penalty but right at the end he drilled in a free kick for the equaliser.  94,168  It was a Wednesday evening game.   Just a month later we beat them 1 nil with a cracking goal from Persson and the crowd was 93,000 something although I can't find the official figure where I had seen it previously.  A couple of Gers books state 90,000 but I've definitely seen a more definitive figure of more than 93k.  A fair number of other big  games were in the 80 thousands for example  2nd Jan 1969 crowd of 85,000 saw us beat them 1 nil (Greig penalty).  

12 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I was at two games in the  1960s Don where the official attendance was over 90 thousand.  One was a League cup tie against the dark side in August 1967 where Penman missed a penalty but right at the end he drilled in a free kick for the equaliser.  94,168  It was a Wednesday evening game.   Just a month later we beat them 1 nil with a cracking goal from Persson and the crowd was 93,000 something although I can't find the official figure where I had seen it previously.  A couple of Gers books state 90,000 but I've definitely seen a more definitive figure of more than 93k.  A fair number of other big  games were in the 80 thousands for example  2nd Jan 1969 crowd of 85,000 saw us beat them 1 nil (Greig penalty).  

You're right mate I was too lazy to check and against my better judgement i took it from Wikipedia. The Game where Penman scored the winner (88) was 16th Aug. 1967

Just now, Don54 said:

You're right mate I was too lazy to check and against my better judgement i took it from Wikipedia. The Game where Penman scored the winner (88) was 16th Aug. 1967

I remember the game.  I went with my future (thankfully now ex) brother-in-law and we had moved up towards the back of the terracing at the Edmiston Drive side.  Got the free kick and Penman hammered it in.  Only time I ever hugged that useless git that married my sister and basically ruined her life.  

On 02/11/2020 at 06:28, Don54 said:

We won 2-1 

Still, and always will be a record attendance for a British league game. :tu:

Edit: Also believe Rangers have played more games in front of crowds of over 100,000 than any other club in Britain. 

WATP.