GM..Has the answer been right under our blue noses

mrmojorisin

Bill Struth

Jock Wallace

Walter Smith

All Rangers legends with a connection

All three were former ass managers who went on to make history as manager.

Ill reserve judgement on GM as its early days but up till now im a pretty content bear and the football a joy to watch.

Could GM follow in their illustrious footsteps? 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, mrmojorisin said:

Bill Struth

Jock Wallace

Walter Smith

Ill reserve judgement on GM as its early days but up till now im a pretty content bear and the football a joy to watch.

Graeme Murty wasn't a Rangers assistant nor had connections before  u20's coach but, deserves his chance.

His record against the bottom 6 is appalling. I don't know if that's the players mentality or the managers fault.

I'd like him to succeed but he really needs a team that doesn't lose at home to Hamilton and St Johnstone.

People need to calm down at times and not get carried away after one decent result.

Hes miles off being a good Rangers manager never mind the same breath as the legends you've mentioned.

24 minutes ago, GT66 said:

I'll reserve judgement for when we start beating the Dundees, Kilmarnocks etc. consistently.

It's great winning big games, but makes it more frustrating losing points that should be a given.

Especially considering we would currently be top of the league if we hadn't dropped silly points this season.

However, let's see how the coming months unfold. I've not had this amount of confidence for 7 years.

55 is still a real possibility this season.

5 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

His record against the bottom 6 is appalling. I don't know if that's the players mentality or the managers fault.

I'd like him to succeed but he really needs a team that doesn't lose at home to Hamilton and St Johnstone.

People need to calm down at times and not get carried away after one decent result.

Hes miles off being a good Rangers manager never mind the same breath as the legends you've mentioned.

To be fair mate he has had a couple of bad results but also more than one decent result, he seems to be taking us in the right direction,  sunday is another good test and my feeling is he'll come through it with another 3 points... Seems a smart guy who genuinely learns from setbacks. 

I never wanted him in charge but he's grown on me and I feel we're in good hands.  

44 minutes ago, mrmojorisin said:

Bill Struth

Jock Wallace

Walter Smith

No reason why not.

His signings have been immense for their first game. He's brought in the right type of player and set us up well again. The whole deal just worked. Thought the team were immense tonight and that's down to him.

He's had a steep learning curve in the hot seat and puts those before him to shame. 

Like others have said on this and other threads, it's far to early to say, I would suggest we'll know by the end of the season, early signs are he has recognized where our deficiencies are and is attempting to rectify them, I liked the balance in the team tonight and that's with 4-5 first team picks missing through injury etc. so things seem to be moving in the right direction, right now Murty appears to have the majority of players onside ATM, but it will be interesting when all the injured players are fit how he handles the ego's of some who may be having to sit on the bench and discontent rears its ugly head, how he handles that along with consistency will be the making or breaking of him as a manager IMO, someone mentioned on another thread, and it was a good point, he appears to be getting the players set up for the "bigger" games, so surely it will be easier to sort the problem of getting results against the so called weaker teams than the other way about, the appointment of Jimmy Nichol might just be one of the most important appointments made as he will give Murty invaluable advice on a daily basis.

one of the big worries of most of us is that he is just to much of a nice guy but I have a sneaking suspicion that if push comes to shove he'll have the strength of character to be able to stand up for himself, I don't understand why I feel like this, it doesn't make sense but I have a good feeling about this guy.

52 minutes ago, sRcFoCt said:

although i like GM i just think he needs to improve his record against lesser opposition.

Of course he does and he will. We struggled with consistency due to shortage of quality in the squad and with some who didn't want to be here. Trying to get players to overperform every game is a tough and thankless call. We now have that quality and it's rubbng off, spread through the ranks. All players get confidence from the less misplaced passes, making moves that come off, more comfortable on the ball and so on. 

He brought in a step up in quality and set the team up well. He continues to work under difficult circumstances being short on cash and the constant upheaval, but I for one think he has worked wonders under the circumstances and have every confidence in him succeeding. 

20 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

one of the big worries of most of us is that he is just to much of a nice guy but I have a sneaking suspicion that if push comes to shove he'll have the strength of character to be able to stand up for himself, I don't understand why I feel like this, it doesn't make sense but I have a good feeling about this guy.

Think it's fine that he appears as a nice guy to the media and the fans tbh. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors though, I doubt a 'nice guy' would have been able to get two half-decent OF results. You don't ask people nicely for a performance in those. And I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have tolerated the players sharing a laugh and joke with their mob going off at half time.

9 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Of course he does and he will. We struggled with consistency due to shortage of quality in the squad and with some who didn't want to be here. Trying to get players to overperform every game is a tough and thankless call. We now have that quality and it's rubbng off, spread through the ranks. All players get confidence from the less misplaced passes, making moves that come off, more comfortable on the ball and so on. 

He brought in a step up in quality and set the team up well. He continues to work under difficult circumstances being short on cash and the constant upheaval, but I for one think he has worked wonders under the circumstances and have every confidence in him succeeding. 

i hope he does as well the quality that has been brought in this transfer window by Mark Allan, plus jimmy nicholl there to help I can safely say i am more confident than i was at the start of the season.

1 minute ago, sRcFoCt said:

i hope he does as well the quality that has been brought in this transfer window by Mark Allan, plus jimmy nicholl there to help I can safely say i am more confident than i was at the start of the season.

I believe that the signings have been a combination of Murty telling Allan what was required, Allan then finding out who was available and making a list and both of them deciding the priorities, and then the credit then goes to Allan for making it happen with what little funds were available, I criticized Allan before but I've now realized that I was to quick off the mark with my criticism as this is the first window he has had and from what I've seen so far he's working miracles getting these signings in, don't know if it would have worked with another manager (McInnis) but him and Murty might just be the combination that will work for us.

13 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Calm down ffs!

A respectable second keeping a good goal difference will do for this season. A win against them would be the icing.

55 and onwards next season.

They have had a rubbish transfer window and are showing cracks. All it takes is a great run by us and a few defeats and some draws for them and it's on this season.

He could be the man but last night hasn’t made me think yes as I don’t think it was ever in doubt as his big game record is excellent 

if he can starting winning 5/6 in a row regular against the rest of the shite in the league he’s in with a chance - I think the board will make him permanent anyway regardless for what it’s worth 

I really hope he succeeds, i like the way he conducts himself and you can tell he knows what it means to be Rangers manager but like others have said, to put things into perspective, he’s beaten Aberdeen 3 times and got a drawn against celtic which Aberdeen haven’t managed, that’s 10 points on Aberdeen yet we sit above them on goal difference. Obviously this isn’t totally Murty’s fault and Pedro has to take some blame but we need to take care of every game the way we do Aberdeen. When that starts happening then Murty is a no brainier. 

4 hours ago, Pennywise said:

They have had a rubbish transfer window and are showing cracks. All it takes is a great run by us and a few defeats and some draws for them and it's on this season.

Fucking hell mate calm down.

We are miles behind them no matter what people say. They have better players and have lost 1 game in 2 seasons. We need to get consistency and create a high win rate at Ibrox. Yes they have drawn more games this season but we are still a distance behind. One or two good results for us doesn't change things.

We have to finish strong this season and perhaps beat them and go far in the SC. Have a good summer with signings and kick on from there.