Club Deck construction.

NornIronBear

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Am I looking at that right or were the Broomloan and Copland stands going to be curved to join on with the Main Stand so the stadium would be fully enclosed? 

Which image are you getting that impression from mate? Can't see what you mean.

Were always due to be separate. There was discussion amongst shareholders of it being built significantly smaller though, IIRC to a capacity of a bit over 30k, but during early discussions a few shareholders (this was when there were relatively few shareholders, unlike now) pushed for a larger capacity. My late father in law told me that, being himself one of the shareholders that was in favour of pushing the boat out to make it bigger.

Again, IIRC, the reckoning amongst many was that crowds would be smaller in the future, as they'd already started to drop dramatically and it couldn't be justified to spend on a bigger stadium when not that many matches a season were getting above 30k.

11 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Which image are you getting that impression from mate? Can't see what you mean.

Were always due to be separate. There was discussion amongst shareholders of it being built significantly smaller though, IIRC to a capacity of a bit over 30k, but during early discussions a few shareholders (this was when there were relatively few shareholders, unlike now) pushed for a larger capacity. My late father in law told me that, being himself one of the shareholders that was in favour of pushing the boat out to make it bigger.

Again, IIRC, the reckoning amongst many was that crowds would be smaller in the future, as they'd already started to drop dramatically and it couldn't be justified to spend on a bigger stadium when not that many matches a season were getting above 30k.

The second image with the blue lines. 

Could be looking at it wrong. 

11 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

The second image with the blue lines. 

Could be looking at it wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Blue lines for undeveloped. Grey for completed I think.

Yeah, not sure myself what that actually means. Quite confusing, but it doesn't relate to the new stands being built as a curve.

looking at the old pics reminds me of how much fun it was at the enclosure but was much younger then. if that area became safe standing and through time the club filled in the corners then the stadium would be totally awesome :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, roboscot said:

If safe standing is ever allowed at Ibrox it should be the enclosures. 

Bill Struth Main stand is magnificent the way it is , it’s the last place I’d have the safe standing , think it’s more a behind the goals thing the safe standing 

6 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Were any of our current board on the board at the same time back when the "seats for life" were sold?

Also, general question for everyone, I heard that (at least at the time) when it was built, the steel on top of the stand was the largest piece of single steel (no welding) in the world. Is that true or was I just told a load of crap. It was a taig that told me, so I tend to believe that it's true. Which begs the question, how the fuck did they get it up there?

I read that it was the biggest single span steel girder ever used in a sports stadium. I presume it was sailed up the Clyde and then transported by road and lifted by cranes. Got to remember this was all done pre mass media so probably not covered as much as it would be nowadays.

10 hours ago, NornIronBear said:

Found these pics of the construction work online.

Good pics I haven't seen before. Would be good the club could release a full set of all those taken during the work.

glasgow-rangers-ibrox-west-stand-broomloan-road-1-august-1999-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

glasgow-rangers-ibrox-south-stand-2-august-1991-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

glasgow-rangers-ibrox-south-stand-3-august-1991-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

glasgow-rangers-ibrox-east-stand-copland-road-2-august-1991-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

It's weird how fashions change. When they replaced the multi coloured seats with all blue in the early 90s they looked old and dated. But looking at these photos now they look amazingly retro and cool as fuck. I want them back ha.

10 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

BOGdpWRCMAA-FpD.thumb.jpg.b186c91240e786f7530290108026ef00.jpg

Have it in the CF to begin with, then have the full stand all standing. 

Far too dangerous to have any of the rear stands not seated.    You have the question of increased loading also to contend with.   It would be far easier and safer to return the enclosures to standing areas.

9 hours ago, Glasgowrangersafc said:

Very true, however there is absolutely no reason for them not to honour the first rights on the seat to us, not in any way interested in money back or shares, just the sentiment, it was money left by my grandmother and id like to still have mimes and my dads seat now i have a son, which i think most fans would be happy with

When the seats were back on sale for STs did you not apply then?    I don't know why the club didn't offer former debenture holders the chance to buy STs as before.  That would have made a lot of sense to me.  Obviously you can't get the original debenture rights back but buying the season ticket every year basically guarantees you the seat anyway.

11 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Were any of our current board on the board at the same time back when the "seats for life" were sold?

Also, general question for everyone, I heard that (at least at the time) when it was built, the steel on top of the stand was the largest piece of single steel (no welding) in the world. Is that true or was I just told a load of crap. It was a taig that told me, so I tend to believe that it's true. Which begs the question, how the fuck did they get it up there?

None of the current directors were involved with the Debenture scheme.

There were two huge cranes used to lift the main support frame into place on top of the two end columns .  It was lifted into position as one single section but it is made up of numerous individual beams etc.

11 hours ago, Big Al II said:

I think we're aware of that, however as a gesture of goodwill rights to the seats could be returned...the debenture money has obviously gone.

If you mean the right to buy STs for the seats then I see no reason why not and I was surprised that former debenture holders were not given first chance at that.  However, there were other debenture rights which may prove difficult to reinstate.   It is something that could be raised with the board or should have been raised at the time.

11 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Again I’m pretty sure we had the biggest crane in the UK at the time brought in to lift it into place. 

I was sure it was the world and came from Argentina. Could be mixed up mind you.

4 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

It's weird how fashions change. When they replaced the multi coloured seats with all blue in the early 90s they looked old and dated. But looking at these photos now they look amazingly retro and cool as fuck. I want them back ha.

I would love them to switch the camera gantry and position it under the SJ Stand roof. Think a front view of the tunnel and 3-tier Bill Struth Stand looks awesome for TV games.