A Manager appointed after Pedro could we have caught them

Smile

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, With Heart and Hand said:

does anyone have the data for pevious seasons where weve came from behind them to win? have we came back from a higher margin to win the league?

Both us and them had overturned bigger deficits than this from this point. It’s defintiely do able, but I wouldn’t back us to go a month without dropping points, never mind nearly half a season. Huge weekend coming up, we need to go out and not only beat Hearts, but dominate them. Send a message to those two playing on Sunday. A 0-0 draw from them would be ideal. Then we go into the game on the 11th knowing a win cuts the gap to 4. Then it’s game fucking on. 

7 hours ago, Smile said:

Look how they have faired this year under Brenda.

gn141.png

Just need to see how well Kilmarnock have done since appointing someone with a bit of experience. If we asked McLeish to do what Murty has done as soon as Pedro was punted, I'm convinced we would be at least equal, maybe even ahead of the mhanks. 

Its became more and more apparent that all this team really needed was someone who knew how to put a team together and fire them up. I still think we can catch them this season. If the sheep beat them on Sunday and we win all our remaining games (bit of a hard ask with our lightweight midfield and centre back positions, but not impossible) then we win the league. The sheep always crumble against the taigs so still a stretch, but doable. 

19 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

A good manager might have been able to catch them but we weren’t in a position to attract a good manager.

We didn't need a good manager. We just needed someone with proper experience. Murty is doing not bad considering he's learning on the job. 

7 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Just need to see how well Kilmarnock have done since appointing someone with a bit of experience. If we asked McLeish to do what Murty has done as soon as Pedro was punted, I'm convinced we would be at least equal, maybe even ahead of the mhanks. 

Its became more and more apparent that all this team really needed was someone who knew how to put a team together and fire them up. I still think we can catch them this season. If the sheep beat them on Sunday and we win all our remaining games (bit of a hard ask with our lightweight midfield and centre back positions, but not impossible) then we win the league. The sheep always crumble against the taigs so still a stretch, but doable. 

I know Kilmarnock have excelled since appointing Clarke.

Not too many of us complaining about how we are performing after Murty’s first transfer window. We have all the signs of a team that is going places whilst they are wobbling at the sight of something big and blue in their wingmirrors.  Murty may or may not be the man for the long haul but there is no guarantee that a more experienced manager would have done better.  New signings aside most if not all of the players who have been here all season are now performing better.  This season may well come down to tired legs and loss of bottle by celtic.  It is their’s to lose but a gap reduced to 6 or 7 points by Sunday evening will really put the cat amongst the pigeons.   The big blue shadow is creeping slowly over the girodome and don’t they just know it. 

I think one of the good things is we're going to have players starting to come back into contention too and fighting for places. Personally, though I'm never happy for them to win - I wouldn't be unhappy if they went through against Zenit. It means another round of Thursday/Sunday games - something which they haven't had for a couple of years - and it means they'll have a European game before travelling to Ibrox on the Sunday. Best case scenario we are coming into that game only 6 points behind. 

I do think we'll fall short, but the foundations are there now IMO. Chances are we'll end up losing Morelos in the summer but if it's for a good fee - we've got foundations to build further on, rather than rip up a whole team and start again.

2 hours ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

Coulda woulda shoulda...

These threads are so pointless.

Its equally likely that at the first sign of any real competition the taigs would have cut out the complacency.

Every thread is pointless really though, none of it does anything. It’s just a forum for discussion. 

11 minutes ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

Every thread is pointless really though, none of it does anything. It’s just a forum for discussion. 

For me no thread looking forward is pointless as the future is yet to be played out, opinion speculation and prediction are valid, but threads looking back and asking "what if" are pointless as whats done is done, discussing alternative scenarios is just fantasy.

This thread ignores the fact that we tried to appoint a Manager after Pedro but were unable to do so.

For whatever reason Murty was the only choice and after all the cash that had been splashed on Pedro C, and given our current financial situation Murty was probably the only affordable option. 

So given that, and given the fact that the table does show an improvement, I For one are very glad Murty was there to step into the breach. The fact that he has done so with enthusiasm,  passion, and has grasped the responsibility firmly- is to his credit. We have as a Club been in a credibility free fall since the initial Warburton honeymoon period came to an end. Murty has stopped that. I get the argument that in previous years I.e pre Murray selling the Club for a £1 that Murty would never have got near the job. But we are in a very different position now- and for me Murty is doing a cracking job given his complete lack of previous management experience. Yes that lack of experience shows at times, and yes he gives too much away in interviews- but it’s a small price to pay IMO.

19 hours ago, ChampionsAgain said:

We can still catch them. 

9 points is fuck all.

Im still raging about the games in December and the game at the piggery. 

12 points that should of been ours.

Stranger things have happened mate. Big weekend coming up, if we can get a win on Saturday its the first time in about 7 year celtic have massive pressure going into a game. Still think we can do it.

No chance given we have inconsistent players.   As much as we always blame the manager- some of our players are just not good enough.  It will take atleast the summer window to close the gap and then that depends on who we keep and buy and also what they do in the summer.   

Walter wouldn’t totally fix our current squad- we might have lost less games but we still wouldn’t be much closer to Timothy 

If results go our way this weekend, who would have thought Graeme Murty would have been managing Rangers to the possibility of one of the biggest and most important titles Rangers will see. Who would have thought only 6 weeks ago their was any possibility of a title race. We've got a good squad with good options, if the players start to believe then who knows what can happen. Need to get right behind this team, turn Ibrox into the fortress it once was this weekend to start with. They have a chance for the first time in years.

11 hours ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

Coulda woulda shoulda...

These threads are so pointless.

Its equally likely that at the first sign of any real competition the taigs would have cut out the complacency.

So you prefer just no threads and no topic for discussion, why did you join a Forum.?

If we don't do it this year then I think we'll definitely do it next year. I'm also starting to think that Rodgers might escape in the Summer if they win the title, which is a shame because nothing would excite me more than seeing our 'novice' Murty take down the 2 million per year salary man.

14 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

We didn't need a good manager. We just needed someone with proper experience. Murty is doing not bad considering he's learning on the job. 

We've had a few bad results under him but a win percentage of 68% is impressive for any manager.

4 hours ago, backup said:

We need to resolve the manager position and quickly,either give GM the job or attempt to get someone of stature.

The problem is we are stuck with a board who is reactive when what we need is a board who are more proactive.

They are sitting back with their fingers crossed, hoping that Murty does enough from now till the end of the season to win the fans over before announcing a new contract for him in the summer.  Should he mess up or not live up to the fans expectations they will then be in panic mode trying to recruit a new manager.

What they should be doing is scouring the market, sounding out agents and managers to see who is available / interested and trying to find the best possible option for the club going forward.

I like Murty, he seems and really nice, intelligent, honest guy and you can't fault what he's done under the most difficult of circumstances, however for me he's just not the answer long term.

15 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

As much as I'd have liked Steve Clarke, that table isn't a massive improvement on where they were last year. 

Aberdeen are consistent and McInnes still has the flaws of not winning the big games. Hibs are far and away the biggest success, followed by Motherwell and us. Everyone else is either treading water or going backwards