The ultimate false dawn?

K.A.I

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Your definition of remarkable differs from mine. They were much better in the 5-1 game than they were today - if they had Armstrong, Griffiths playing today and playing as well as they did in that game it would have been a different story. It looks like progress because of the tighter scoreline but that was celtic on a terrible day and down to ten men.

We played well just missed chances that you can't in these games.

Dorrans mccrorie and Wallace to return gutted about the result but we ain't far away now. Hopefully a fully fit squad going into the semiĀ 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Two decent centre backs and we're winning that game everytime.Ā 

I personally don't think we're that far away. I think our squad is more than capable of matching them. I don't think they are great. Our signings in January have made us a much better side. However defensively we have committed suicide on more than one occasion. You can't legislate for those mistakes, at any level. Martin and Bates are not the greatest defenders in the world but there's a fair argument they are our best two defenders. Losing both was a further blow. Cardoso, in particular just doesn't look good enough. You can't concedeĀ from a straight ball over the top, especially just before half time. You just can't.

Overall, I thought we done well in parts. I thought Murphy looked a class above at times. Candeias was bright and whilst not brilliant IĀ thought a lot of players done okay. Okay is not good enough though. I don't think it was lack of effort, desire or bottle. I just think we lacked composure when it mattered. We got into many good positions but our final decision/ball just wasn't good enough. Ultimately we lost IMO because of disastrous, inexcusable and completely avoidable defending. And we could have won the game if we were better in the final third and converted guilt edged chances.

If we add a few more quality signings in the summer, coupled with the return of Dorrans, McCrorie & Wallace I fully believe we can win the league next season. I still think we can beat them in the semis. There's not a great deal between the two teams.

Losing to them with 10 men is poor. In a strange way it seemed to suit them to play on the counter. There should be no excuses IMO though. We panicked. We didn't utilise the extra man to our advantage.Ā Ultimately we failed. Whilst I don't think they are any great shakes the big advantage they have is that a number of their squad have all had success. They have been winners. They have that continuity. They have that know how. They know how to see games through.Ā We don't have that. Yet. However, this team is relative new and IMO getting better. We've improved overall since McCoist, McDowall, McCall, Warburton and Caixinha. I appreciate within Murty's reign there have been some very poor results and performances but particularly, since January, since he's become permanent and since we've added a bit more quality we look far better for it. I don't think we need a huge rebuild. I think we now have a squad where wan can focus more onĀ quality rather than quantity. The right signings in the summer could be key.

Make no mistake about it, this is a tough one to take, fucking brutal but I think we have a lot to be positive about for the future IMO..........

34 minutes ago, MARK92GERS said:

Some of the comments on here areĀ embarrassing imo yes we werenā€™t great today defence cost us big time but calling for Murtys head after this is wrong thereā€™s a host of first team players out injured the bench looked weak today there wasnā€™t one player Cummings aside I would have confidence in to come on and Change the game I agree subs should have been made much earlier on and we should have changed shape but donā€™t forget what heā€™s done since January weā€™ve been playing some of the best football Iā€™ve seen in a good while I feel weā€™re still lacking good quality in areas but give him a summer transfer window and I reckon weā€™ll be better off Just seems like a revolving door few bad results folk are calling for the sack how many managers must we go through ?Ā 

Sounds like a lot of excuses there. Manager's manage, no matter the situation.

41 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I donā€™t think celtic are that good... i just think we are that bad.Ā 

Our achilles heel has been defending and that was again noticable today. Ā In front of goal we were just as poor as last week with the difference being Cummings took his chances.Ā 

Morelosā€™ miss today was a very poor one and i hope Cummings will have a chance now.Ā 

Won't matter now damage has been done. A half decent striker finishes those chances both this match and the last one. Put another way,does anyone think Cummings wouldn't have taken them,and what a difference that would have made. And horrible thing is regards Murty I have this feeling he'll again go with Morelos over Cummings in the cup match,he just seems to have a blind spot with him. It's obvious to anyone that Cummings is the better finisher but not apparently to Murty. Another trophyless season beckons I fear. Once again the filth have came to our home and lorded it,this time with ten men. Honestly don't know how much more our support is expected to take.

Just now, Bristoe1872 said:

Won't matter now damage has been done. A half decent striker finishes those chances both this match and the last one. Put another way,does anyone think Cummings wouldn't have taken them,and what a difference that would have made. And horrible thing is regards Murty I have this feeling he'll again go with Morelos over Cummings in the cup match,he just seems to have a blind spot with him. It's obvious to anyone that Cummings is the better finisher but not apparently to Murty. Another trophyless season beckons I fear. Once again the filth have came to our home and lorded it,this time with ten men. Honestly don't know how much more our support is expected to take.

Morelos is a good striker, despite what happened today.Ā  He just needs to learn to take these chances and not panic.Ā  I would be looking at Cummings next game regardless as he deserves his shot now.

No. Since Murty has taken over he has made excellent moves in the transfer window and has established us as the second best team in the country, in my opinion, which isĀ the aim for this season, if we're being realistic about it. celtic were streets ahead and that was never going to change in one transfer window, but I believe we have built a solid foundation and have closed the gap, despite todays result. It's one result which doesn't undo the strides forward that we have taken, plus we have them to play again.Ā 

I'm not levelling this charge at the OP, but this place has become more bi-polar than it's ever been. Opinions slide from one end of the scale to the other in the space of 90 minutes on everything: the board, the players, the manager.Ā 

Ā 

We've a long way to go, of that there is no doubt, but we're on the right road.

4 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

No. Since Murty has taken over he has made excellent moves in the transfer window and has established us as the second best team in the country, in my opinion, which isĀ the aim for this season, if we're being realistic about it. celtic were streets ahead and that was never going to change in one transfer window, but I believe we have built a solid foundation and have closed the gap, despite todays result. It's one result which doesn't undo the strides forward that we have taken, plus we have them to play again.Ā 

I'm not levelling this charge at the OP, but this place has become more bi-polar than it's ever been. Opinions slide from one end of the scale to the other in the space of 90 minutes.Ā 

Ā 

We've a long way to go, of that there is no doubt, but we're on the right road.

The bi-polar nature of the online Rangers supporter get's me too. No-one can ever be consistent or constantly measured.

If we won that game today with Cardoso playing an hour, then there would be threads saying give Cardoso a run and maybe a new contract totally missing the point that he's had a good hour and done nothing else ever ... I could name loads of examples. No-one has the courage of their convictions and are in a rush to make a thread pronouncing great delight in saying "aww I was wrong about so and so and I'm delighted" after one or two OK games and likewise Murty needs sacked after a Hibs defeat.

There's very little balance anywhere out there when it comes to us. I'd like to think my views been mainly consistent and we are miles away and still need decent investment. Today proves it IMO anyway.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Exactly. That's the whole point and the big picture everyone needs to see for me.

Weā€™re closer to them, theyā€™re worse and weā€™re better. Still a good bit behind them in terms of athleticism, quality and most importantly mentality.

A couple of better CBs, a DM and a no. 10 and we can at least pressurise them.Ā Would be the same needs evenĀ ifĀ Morelos buried either of his chances, but thatā€™s football.Ā 

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Weā€™re closer to them, theyā€™re worse and weā€™re better. Still a good bit behind them in terms of athleticism, quality and most importantly mentality.

A couple of better CBs, a DM and a no. 10 and we can at least pressurise them. Would be the same needs evenĀ ifĀ Morelos buried either of his chances, but thatā€™s football.Ā 

That sadly sums it up - but by the same token doesn't strike me as being even close to them? it tells me we're a long way away.

Ā 

Just now, K.A.I said:

That sadly sums it up - but by the same token doesn't strike me as being even close to them? it tells me we're a long way away.

Ā 

We were told we are 40 million pounds away. It's nowhere fucking near that despite us having a poor 2nd half.

Fuck it

Just now, K.A.I said:

Ā 

I donā€™t think we are close, but weā€™re closer than last year. Need to keep closing the gap and making correct decisions in the transfer market.Ā 

53 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I've purposely stayed off here the last couple of weeks in the build up to this game for my own reasons (mainly I felt myself getting drawn into arguments with decent people/posters over their opinions of certain players and where they thought we were at overall)

Today was just another false dawn.

We are nowhere near celtic's level no matter how many people want to big up guys like Goss, Docherty, Taverneir, Bates, Foderingham, Murty, Allen, Jimmy Nicholl, Morelos etc after a run of wins against the best of the rest of what Scotland has to offer.Ā 

and I say that as someone who likes Murty, thinks Nicholl was a sensible appointment and also someone wasn't bothered that we knocked back 11-million for Morelos - so I'm going to use hindsight on this one and say we should have sold him - again I'll stress with the benefit of hindsight. He's an OK player but big players, the type of big players with big characters we need buries that chance to chance to make it 3-2 minutes before they go up the park and make it 3-2 likewise at celtic Park in the 0-0 but was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt in that but I think now he's not all that.... as for Murty and Nicholl they are simply stand-in's to do a job, they are OK, but it's a level of our ambition and where we are still at as a club embracing "OK" and I've been guilty of it myself but no more... 6-wins in a row against teams who are beneath us always papers over the cracks. This was the test and they failed. AGAIN.

Murty can't get the job beyond the season now. He just can't. He made some big mistakes today. First one that springs to mind is Morelos over Cummings after the respective performances from them last week and Cummings attitude last week in the build-up to this game saying big games is where he excels etc.

We were a totally different team the second half. Why? the first half our passes and our long balls were measured and with intent, but from the first seconds of the second half we went aimless. That second half was like having Pedro or Warburton in the dugout again.

For them to go down to 10-men with 35-minutes to go and them to still win it and them to have the midfield is fucking pathetic.

Goss and Docherty - Goss has done better than I thought he would coming in overall, but anyone I've spoke to the past couple of weeks about this game I've specifically mentioned both of them to everyone and made the point that Docherty isn't a footballer to me - he's an engine and an athlete with limited actual footballing ability & Goss is someone who can spray passes about when he's on his game with no pressure - that's literally it. To think that they could step up and make an impression on that celtic midfield is beyond neive.

I don't even buy the line about celtic bullying us - they didn't. Not this time. They were shite and we let a team that shite come to Ibrox and win - with 10 men.

Their first goal especially Foderingham was a joke. It was a good hit but it wasn't exactly a rocket into the top corner, he was caught off his line and the ball curled under and beyond him into the net. I've not seen the third one back so will hold my water on that one but I wouldn't be surprised if that was likewise as he looked nervous and ropey all game.

Less said about the concentration levels at the back for the equaliser on half-time the better.

This isn't me coming back on after 2-weeks just to make a negative post and to slate people - it's how I saw the game and how I thought it would pan out in advance of it.

I know it's said many a time and it harps back to the same old line about proper investment. Serious investment (as promised by King) ... guys from Hamilton, QPR reserves, the Cardiff bench etc just won't cut it and never will irrespective of many wee runs of wins against Falkirk, St Johnstone and Ayr we get under our belt before the big test.

Another rebuild in the summer, hopefully but also regretably but I don't think for one minute we will get it right this time either. Hope they enjoy their 9/10 in a row the inbred child molesting bastards. We've handed them it.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I can understand the disappointment . I thought we could have been better today , particularly a man up with over a half hour to go .Ā 

Trying to be a bit positive ,but youve got to say we'veĀ seen progress over the last 2/3 months and despite the result , I didn't think there was much between the teams today . Our problem all season , particularly at Ibrox , is we don't have the guile to open up packed defences and that's what cost us today . I think we have improved on that somewhat with the players we've brought in in January but it's still early days . Ā 

Barring a disastrous collapse I'd let Murty continue . We've made progress in just 2/3 months and see no reason why we can't continue in that vein with some summer signings .Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

We were told we are 40 million pounds away. It's nowhere fucking near that despite us having a poor 2nd half.

Fuck it

15-million wisely spent would do it but the key is spent wisely. I've a feeling most of them out there today probably played as well as they could against celtic but it still wasn't enough despite them being shite, down to 10 men, behind twice, us at Ibrox etc.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I think there will be a big difference when McCrorie and Dorrans come back, as McCrorie fills that gap between defence and midfield that was especially glaring today, and Dorrans actually drives us forward from midfield, something that pissed me off today as we totally lacked that.

If the rumours are true about McArthur signing on a free then another couple of CBs and we've got aĀ strong spine to work from.

Absolutely fucking gutted.

Relative to the other players we hadĀ Tav and Candias put in another sound performance imo. Docherty and Murphy, not too bad, but not good enough today and Goss with his worst performance yet. As for the rest, pass me the sick bag.

Yes we are better than before, but still not good enough as the quality is still not there and we need new, far less a new fucking board.

Sadly, Wes is not a RangersĀ keeper. Great short range shot stopper, but it ends there. His positional and all round game is fucking horrendous. Alves and Cardoso just a fucking joke. Windass scores a decent opportunistic goal and then goes MIAĀ again, so we're down to ten men.Ā However the best joke for last. Morelos, 9 to 11 mil?! King's selling crack and many are buying it. He proved again today he is not it. He is a bottle merchant in front of goal. Absolutely no composure and if anyone actually believes we were offered overĀ 9 mil for him, their using too much of this board's product and need counselling.

With no significant investment on the horizon, we can only but try to make this lot a bit better, but to be title winnng good enough,I don't know. We need try and offload our dross, but with Murty having a blindĀ spot for Windass and Morelos, you could think what's the the point, as they are starters every week. We also cannot continue nor afford to bring in average players on inflated wages and xpect things to change.Ā Just suicide. until off the park improves,Ā on the park will not. They are inextricably linked and we are runnng out of options.

They brought us to a shuddering halt today and the will not stand still in the summer. It will all again come down to the quality of player that can be afforded and at the minute they remain to have a head start on us. Our luck has to change

Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

I think there will be a big difference when McCrorie and Dorrans come back, as McCrorie fills that gap between defence and midfield that was especially glaring today, and Dorrans actually drives us forward from midfield, something that pissed me off today as we totally lacked that.

If the rumours are true about McArthur signing on a free then another couple of CBs and we've got aĀ strong spine to work from.

That's my last hope at the moment (McCrorie and Dorrans making the impact we need)

Where's the McArthur rumours coming from? I was with his uncle in Toronto a few months ago and he said then that James wants one more contract down south and to play for Rangers one day but not now.

Every Rangers fan whether they like it or not built themselves up for a fall.

Before The game we had a Chance and certainly during it we did too.

Expectations were high but our second half performance was awful,

Nothing out of the blue given our home form,

They are beatable but for some reason our players and management didn't believe it.

Its all about the semi final nowĀ 

23 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

That's my last hope at the moment (McCrorie and Dorrans making the impact we need)

Where's the McArthur rumours coming from? I was with his uncle in Toronto a few months ago and he said then that James wants one more contract down south and to play for Rangers one day but not now.

Rocksport Radio IIRC

22 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I have no reason to doubt what you are saying, referring more towards his Uncle rather than you, If true howeverĀ we should forget about him completely. Couldn't care a jot how staunch he or his family are but if he feels we are a retirement option then get him to fuck. If he wants to join us next season I'd be happy to take him on.

Just now, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Every Rangers fan whether they like it or not built themselves up for a fall.

Before The game we had a Chance and certainly during it we did too.

Expectations were high but our second half performance was awful,

Nothing out of the blue given our home form,

They are beatable but for some reason our players and management didn't believe it.

Its all about the semi final nowĀ 

Strangely, I feel confident about the semi-final for reasons unknown to me. It will be a totally different type of game, perhaps that's why. A one-off game - no pressures of mounting a league challenge just 11vs11 on a big Hampden pitch with nothing to lose.

Murty and that lot owe us too. Maybe that's part of it.

Just now, theweebluenose said:

I have no reason to doubt what you are saying, referring more towards his Uncle rather than you, If true howeverĀ we should forget about him completely. Couldn't care a jot how staunch he or his family are but if he feels we are a retirement option then get him to fuck. If he wants to join us next season I'd be happy to take him on.

He might have changed his mind tbh - I've been quite out the loop last couple of months.