Rangers need a more experienced and better manager than Graeme Murty - TRO

Lloyd

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

a few people were saying Hughes as well. he took Stoke into the relegation places and was sacked. God knows why Southampton have taken him on.

In England, there seems to be a group of manager Pullis, Hughes, Allardyce etc who just go from job to job without the need to achieve too much. 

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I still think Nigel Pearson is a good shout too.

Did a cracking job with Leicester and a lot gave him credit for building the team that won the title. Defiantly a good shout. I'd love to see him tear into the Scottish press like he did down in England lol

1 minute ago, Smile said:

In England, there seems to be a group of manager Pullis, Hughes, Allardyce etc who just go from job to job without the need to achieve too much. 

They are brought in to save clubs from relegation then they get the boot.

Reading today Hughes is now on his 6th club in the English premiership

4 minutes ago, Smile said:

all they typically achieve is not getting relegated. Then when they do after a couple of years - they are out and on to the next club, where they repeat the cycle. More fool the owners who hire them.

Although pretty unrealistic, I thought Hughes would have been a good appointment for us. I thought that if we offered him a decent wage he would maybe fancy coming up here for a few years to rebuild his reputation before heading back down South to try his hand at it again because I didn’t think an EPL club would give him a job because of how it ended at a stoke. I actually can’t believe Southampton have given him a job tbh. Once teams start dipping into that pool of guys who are on that managerial merry go round, relegation tends to follow shortly after.

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Although pretty unrealistic, I thought Hughes would have been a good appointment for us. I thought that if we offered him a decent wage he would maybe fancy coming up here for a few years to rebuild his reputation before heading back down South to try his hand at it again because I didn’t think an EPL club would give him a job because of how it ended at a stoke. I actually can’t believe Southampton have given him a job tbh. Once teams start dipping into that pool of guys who are on that managerial merry go round, relegation tends to follow shortly after.

Don't think he'll be there come the summer unless he does ridiculously well, doesn't fit their usual profile at all.

Undecided on this

It is a never ending spiral if you start chasing success by constantly changing managers, usually downwards.  In addition, if the criteria for keeping a manager is based on the second guessing of his substitution decisions after every defeat, as inferred by the article, we’re going to go through a lot of managers.

However, if there is an outstanding candidate who becomes available who has had previous success with teams with a restricted budget, we would be stupid not to go for him.

7 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Offer the job to Steve Clarke.  The guy is probably on peanuts at Kilmarnock and I don't think there's any question he'd be an upgrade on Murty.  

Been saying the same. Get him in and give murty a job as part of the coaching set-up.

The decision in summer boils down to:  does the board believe Murty can learn enough and gain enough managerial nous to produce a title winning side in (say) the next 2 seasons with the budget we give him?

If they are 100% convinced about this then he'll get the job.

If they are not 100% convinced and they then ask themselves who are the better candidates and can we afford to recruit our top pick?   

They've supposedly done an extensive recruitment campaign recently so will have amassed considerable information and analysis on prospective alternatives to Murty.  The point being if any club is in a good position to assess the alternatives then Rangers is having had all that recruitment process work done by the DOF recently.   Whether the board is competent enough to make the right decisions based on all that information and based on having watched Murty perform this season is another question altogether.

But even after all the analysis of potential candidates and reaching a view on whether Murty really could be a title winning manager in the very near future, the nose and the tail of it will, I suspect, be that the board would not be able to afford the sort of quality of experienced manager that might stand a better chance than Murty of producing a title winning side.  Simply not affordable.   So with that constraint glued to the table the only choice they really have is to stick with Murty and cross their fingers that he might learn fast enough to use that learning to produce a title winning side.  

It seems to me to be a clear case of Hobsons's Choice.  There is no affordable alternative to continuing with Murty.  It's his job to lose if he made a disastrously bad fist of it going forward, or his job to walk away from in due course if he were to be attracted to managing a different side.     I genuinely think that last recruitment exercise has got us to the end of the road for ability to attract and afford a far better qualified manager.   We will get in Murty what we pay for as a result. 

1 hour ago, Goosetav said:

Don't think he'll be there come the summer unless he does ridiculously well, doesn't fit their usual profile at all.

I think most people like Southampton because of how they are run and how they built themselves back up and that’s why I worry about them staying up now. He’s so far removed from what they usually go for and when that sort of desperation kicks in it usually doesn’t end well.

3 hours ago, ZZed said:

Was Michel Preud'homme a joke candidate first time round or could he be in the running in the summer?

I'm more in favour of him now than I was originally, regardless if people think Murty has done enough for the job it's undeniable he has steadied the ship and laid some foundations for next season. It's up to someone to take us to that next level and I think MPH is a lot more suitable for that than having to do the dirty work of the last few months.

Not 100% wanting him but wouldn't be against it.

I agree we need a better and more experienced manager however Murty has taken on Pedro's duds and alongside Allen has managed to built a squad fairly quickly that looks far better and also a team that managed to go up against the scum and give it a proper go unlike previous attempts where we've been beaten before kickoff. He was ultimately let down by Pedro's signings in my opinion in the scum game (Cardoso, Morelos). For that he deserves some credit and also for just improving the mood.

So he's got us closer but to make that next step we need someone smarter in a football sense and more experienced that'll make the decisions in games to win it for us. That is where Murty is lacking big time. 

2 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

On the Murty subject

I genuinely do not believe anything is going to happen to Murty .

He will remain as our Manager this season and straight into next season .

I'm sure I may change my opinion of that  over these next few months .

whats with TRO releasing contradicting articles within hours of each other?

2 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

On the Murty subject

I genuinely do not believe anything is going to happen to Murty .

He will remain as our Manager this season and straight into next season .

I'm sure I may change my opinion of that  over these next few months .

I'm pretty sure Murty won't be our manager next season ?