Playing for 90 minutes

dummiesoot

Watching Julescotia's video, the first half was a disgraceful lack of action, drive, chances. We must start performing for 90 minutes. We have seen sellik take advantage of our 'switching off' too often as they clearly raise their game against the Famous. 

The second half was much better, more of that for 90 minutes is needed. 

I think our tactical focus is (wrongly) about breaking the game into "phases" of play, instead of just playing a damn game of football and puting the other team to the sword as quickly as possible. It's frustrating as hell, especially at home. We give other teams way too much respect instead of forcing the issue 

We seem to start well against them more often than not over last couple of seasons, with one or two exceptions :megaanguish: so hoping for the same on Sunday. Only this time taking our chances when we get them, which we will. 

If we turn up and press them early as in previous games then we can do them...........then sit back and enjoy the meltdown from them and the smsm.

They are classless in victory.....wait till we pump them on Sunday :crabflute:

Optimistic Loyal :UK:

3 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I think our tactical focus is (wrongly) about breaking the game into "phases" of play, instead of just playing a damn game of football and puting the other team to the sword as quickly as possible. It's frustrating as hell, especially at home. We give other teams way too much respect instead of forcing the issue 

It’s hard for me to fathom out if we’re restricting ourselves on the park due to instructions from the manager or just not very good footballers/team or an inability mentally to be ready to do what you should be doing in a Rangers shirt. 

1 minute ago, Amokachi said:

It’s hard for me to fathom out if we’re restricting ourselves on the park due to instructions from the manager or just not very good footballers/team or an inability mentally to be ready to do what you should be doing in a Rangers shirt. 

The mentality is a massive thing, as it takes a special type of player to deal with the pressures of winning at all costs. We have too many lower league player mentalities in the squad who are happy to draw a game. Mentality played a massive part in us getting to the UEFA cup final. Football wise there were better teams than us, but we beat them. 

11 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

The mentality is a massive thing, as it takes a special type of player to deal with the pressures of winning at all costs. We have too many lower league player mentalities in the squad who are happy to draw a game. Mentality played a massive part in us getting to the UEFA cup final. Football wise there were better teams than us, but we beat them. 

Totally agree. We have a team of technically good, fit footballers but they lack a stubborn, winners mentality. When it doesn't go to plan, they shrink into themselves instead of rolling up their sleeves and crunching into some fucker to get it started.

What I don't get about the fitness issues. Look at tennis players. Just think of the amount of miles they cover on that single line to win a tournament. Then (some of them) will go out a week later and do the exact same thing. 

We used to get told our players were tired cause they were playing 2 games a week. 

I don't buy this as being a fitness issue. It must be a mental issue. Our team hasn't ever "made it over the line" except a couple of players winning the championship. The mhanks team is full of winners. To me that is the only difference. We have proven we have at least the same talent as them, maybe more. But until we beat that mob, we are always going to be playing second fiddle to them. If we can beat them this weekend AND beat them at the piggery, we WILL win the league next season. If we lose both these games, then we will seriously need to look at a full rebuild job. 

Out of our full team, the only players I would keep are Tav and Murphy plus the youngsters that have been making it through this season. The rest I would replace. 

20 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

Totally agree. We have a team of technically good, fit footballers but they lack a stubborn, winners mentality. When it doesn't go to plan, they shrink into themselves instead of rolling up their sleeves and crunching into some fucker to get it started.

Essentially what I was trying to say. You managed it in a lot fewer words though. 

Reasons why to read a full thread before commenting lesson #1 

8 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

What I don't get about the fitness issues. Look at tennis players. Just think of the amount of miles they cover on that single line to win a tournament. Then (some of them) will go out a week later and do the exact same thing. 

We used to get told our players were tired cause they were playing 2 games a week. 

I don't buy this as being a fitness issue. It must be a mental issue. Our team hasn't ever "made it over the line" except a couple of players winning the championship. The mhanks team is full of winners. To me that is the only difference. We have proven we have at least the same talent as them, maybe more. But until we beat that mob, we are always going to be playing second fiddle to them. If we can beat them this weekend AND beat them at the piggery, we WILL win the league next season. If we lose both these games, then we will seriously need to look at a full rebuild job. 

Out of our full team, the only players I would keep are Tav and Murphy plus the youngsters that have been making it through this season. The rest I would replace. 

:lol: 

7 hours ago, backup said:

We do look not 100%fit in all departments, Morelos reminds me of a chubby Waghorn, to much weight instead of muscle. The Gullane sands would help sort that out.

Most modern players are in better condition than any player from that era. It’s a mentality problem, not fitness.