Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

21 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Players agents control so they go where money is. They don't want an arsehole manager but most will sign for a club if it pays better, progresses their profile and theyll get games. Regardless of manager to an extent.

This whole respect thing is bollocks for the best players. Give them a winning manager who gets a winning team any day. Fuck what the manager did as a player.

For low level players or kids then maybe they'd like to come for the ride and see what it's like. But fuck that.

As a player he was rightly regarded as superb. Ax a manager he's done fuck all but folk have him down as superhuman. Strange then at his home club those qualities haven't driven the players to win the league. Against bigger and better and richer clubs. See any comparison?

A manager first and foremost manages. Show me evidence he can do that successfully, and to the extent and level we should be convinced he can do so here and overtake over a season the gulf that was evident today.

I know it’s pure guess work, could be wrong but Walter was a great manager. If he was put in place at 1986 instead of Souness I don’t believe that we would of got the likes of Butcher and Woods. Guys like Walter gets that respect through their ability as a manager but Souness as Gerrard will gain an instant  respect from players due to what they’ve achieved as a player and this is what allows them to attract a higher quality player than the likes of Steve Clarke.

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Gerrard rumours would not of got this far if there isn't money, overpriced dross comes from hiring yet another mediocre manager. We need to take this gamble as Clarke etc will only improve us to the effect of being a 2nd place team.

Clarke has 20 years experience as a coach and manager.  He could probably school Gerrard on what running a football club is all about.  Gerrard would join us having worked with an U18 team and even then had to have his hand held.  

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

We embarrassed them once and Dermot said fuck this, put his hand in his pocket and got them a manager who brought them up a level. They’ve embarrassed us time and time again and our latest attempt to stop that is to appoint a complete rookie on the basis of his name value alone. Honestly mate, it’s fucking sickening. The people running and representing this club are literally sucking every bit of passion that I have for this club out of me on a week by week basis.

said it before - when you step back and analyse it  - its madness.

Just now, andyhrfc said:

I doubt that the combined wisdom of Klopp, Pep and Maureen would be able to do anything with half our team today.  The other half maybe just maybe.

Fuck phoning 118

4 minutes ago, B1872 said:

Sky Sports News just read out a statement from Rangers re Gerrard.

24FDC389-6B55-4F8B-8A24-3E78CCF777BB.png

So all this announced tomorrow is most likely pish.

As much as it will make us look even more ridiculous, I just hope it doesn't happen.

Getting schooled by Lennon, Clarke, McInnes due to his inexperience, would be even worse.

How hard can it be, if the money is there for him, it must be enough to get a proven manager to get us stabilised and back winning. Then build from that.

16 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

I know it’s pure guess work, could be wrong but Walter was a great manager. If he was put in place at 1986 instead of Souness I don’t believe that we would of got the likes of Butcher and Woods. Guys like Walter gets that respect through their ability as a manager but Souness as Gerrard will gain an instant  respect from players due to what they’ve achieved as a player and this is what allows them to attract a higher quality player to the likes of Steve Clarke.

You really think players of the calibre we need will come because of a great player, novice manager?

Souness was part of a perfect storm of name/profile, English clubs banned from Europe and us paying more than epl clubs. This is not the same era mate.

Absolutely everything you are basing your argument on is gut feeling. Which may hold weight with promising kids but for winners out there already at winning clubs with winning managers? Doubt it.

25 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Murty is so far away from Steven Gerrard.What Gerrard instantly commands that Murty never will is respect. As a player he is a legend regarded as one of the best players in the world. Players of today want to play for people of that calibre.

That respect will quickly evaporate if he doesn't have the managerial ability to do the job. The players can suck him off all day for all I care but if he can't organise them and turn them into a team it counts for fuck all. Even Murty had more relevant experience going into the job than he does and look how out of his depth he was. 

The guy KopGer (who I think is connected with Liverpool in some way) on FF:

"There’s been a concerted effort to try and frame this as not being quite as far down the road as it is. From one place - Rangers.

For reasons i don’t quite understand.

As far as the Liverpudlians moving north are concerned, they’re coming."

2 minutes ago, Siam69 said:

As much as it will make us look even more ridiculous, I just hope it doesn't happen.

Getting schooled by Lennon, Clarke, McInnes due to his inexperience, would be even worse.

How hard can it be, if the money is there for him, it must be enough to get a proven manager to get us stabilised and back winning. Then build from that.

It really is that simple.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

Hopefully Gerrard decides it’s not for him. He’s far too much of a gamble at the moment. We need an experienced manager with  strong man management skills and a backbone, not a rookie who only stopped playing 18 months ago. And anybody who wants to bring up Souness can fuck off. He came in as a rookie but immediately outspent everybody else.

Spot on. I’d take Robinson from Motherwell right now, because if nothing else we’d be in cup finals and wouldn’t get bullied...

Gerrard is going to be a complete and utter train wreck, just like Caixinha, and Murty. It’s a no risk appointment for him, when he fails he’ll still have a reputation because we’re completely fucked as a club. 

4 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

"There’s been a concerted effort to try and frame this as not being quite as far down the road as it is. From one place - Rangers.

We came north today and still fuming after we got back!

6 minutes ago, Siam69 said:

I’m starting to think no one knows fuck all. I’m the last hour I’ve read the Sun and Express saying he’s on the verge of knocking it back, Rangers apparently telling Sky we are speaking and will announce next week and FF talking about fucking trains.

2 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Strange. 

Just now, B1872 said:

I’m starting to think no one knows fuck all. I’m the last hour I’ve read the Sun and Express saying he’s on the verge of knocking it back, Rangers apparently telling Sky we are speaking and will announce next week and FF talking about fucking trains.

Every time I have a look at that thread on FF, I come off wanting to punch someone. 

Just now, rangersross said:

Strange. 

Thinking it may be out of consideration to Graeme Murty. Perhaps they still have to tell him he's no longer in the running. Murty the fantasist probably still thought he was in with a shout of the job before today's abomination.

10 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

We are either talking to someone else, cooling our interest or all of a sudden trying to be nice to Murty and spare his feelings. Or maybe after today the board have realised how big a job it is and massive mistake it will be and are going for an actual manager.............. nah maybe not!

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

You really think players of the calibre we need will come because if a great player, novice manager?

Souness was part of a perfect storm if name/profile, English clubs banned from Europe and us paying more than all clubs. This is not the same era mate.

Absolutely everything you are basing your argument on is gut feeling. Which may hold weight with promising kids but for winners out there already at winning clubs? Doubt it.

I get what your saying and yeh gut feeling does have a lot to do with it. It’s a bold move which if it pays off will allow us to get things back to our established position.

I just don’t see any way in which Clarke or any of the other mentioned managers can achieve that within a decent time frame. Letting that bastards get 10 in a row is not something that I want to consider.

What we seriously need is a clear out of imposters and a massive increase in the standard of players coming in. This is where my hope in Gerrard and maybe even more so in King giving us this calibre of players. That cunt has seriously fucked us over so far and he needs to finally step up and do some good.

Archived