Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

2 minutes ago, Eazy1872 said:

He's managed to convice Declan John to stay at our club.

He's managed to bring in Murphy, Goss and Cummings.

He's thoroughly improved Windass, people just refuse to see it.

After all, we all know Murty didn't want the job. He's tried his hardest, that's all I can ask for.

Unless you're talking about Gerrard,

then I don't know if you've noticed, but Gerrard captained one of the biggest teams in Europe, and has played alongside some the greats, and also had his fair share of managers.

Managed to convince Declan John to stay at our club :lol: 

Anyway, it was Allen that did the transfers numbskull - Murty admitted it himself

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SkylineBlue said:

Gerard has done this has he?

3 minutes ago, Eazy1872 said:

I didn't realise you were speaking on Gerrard.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Gerrard captained one of the biggest teams in Europe, and has played alongside some the greats, and also had his fair share of managers.

He captained England at one point, he certainly knows how to motivate a team.

We don't need more players

we need our players to be motivated.

3 minutes ago, Eazy1872 said:

He's managed to convice Declan John to stay at our club.

He's managed to bring in Murphy, Goss and Cummings.

He's thoroughly improved Windass, people just refuse to see it.

After all, we all know Murty didn't want the job. He's tried his hardest, that's all I can ask for.

Unless you're talking about Gerrard,

then I don't know if you've noticed, but Gerrard captained one of the biggest teams in Europe, and has played alongside some the greats, and also had his fair share of managers.

Who’s touching up your weans while you’re on here?

1 minute ago, BlueThunder said:

Express claiming Gerrard is stalling after this result, but it appears to be a rehash if The Sun article from yesterday saying he was 50-50.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/952754/Rangers-news-Steven-Gerrard-Old-Firm-derby-celtic-rumours-gossip

See that earlier. Just putting their own spin on a story before the game. Top journalism as always ?

7 minutes ago, MrMckee said:

True but when have you ever seen a Liverpool team he captained lie down and take an arse raping like we have. Must be able to take that into being a manager 

Plenty of times during his time as a player to be honest (getting gubbed that is not neccessarily 5-0's) but everyone remembers Istanbul and to a lesser extent West Ham in FA Cup and maybe even the Greek game at Anfield ... all good comebacks but at a team like Liverpool he captained them for what? about 12/13 years? your going to have the odd game like that ... I also wish people would stop conflating anything he did with a player with what he might do in management (in their wee ideal world) it means literally fuck-all

Murty was Reading captain for years, I could probably find a couple of games he was involved in with a good comeback

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Plenty of times during his time as a player to be honest but everyone remembers Istanbul and to a lesser extent West Ham in FA Cup and maybe even the Greek game at Anfield ... all good comebacks but at a team like Liverpool he captained them for what? about 12/13 years? your going to have the odd game like that ... I also wish people would stop conflating anything he did with a player with what he might do in management (in their wee ideal world) it means literally fuck-all

Murty was Reading captain for years, I could probably find a couple of games he was involved in with a good comeback

So whose your ideal manager? In this current situation who would you bring in?

(Please don't give the braindead response of "Walter Smith" or "Graeme Souness")

Just now, Eazy1872 said:

So whose your ideal manager? In this current situation who would you bring in?

(Please don't give the braindead response of "Walter Smith" or "Graeme Souness")

Warnock. 

I wouldn't take Souness. 

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Plenty of times during his time as a player to be honest (getting gubbed that is not neccessarily 5-0's) but everyone remembers Istanbul and to a lesser extent West Ham in FA Cup and maybe even the Greek game at Anfield ... all good comebacks but at a team like Liverpool he captained them for what? about 12/13 years? your going to have the odd game like that ... I also wish people would stop conflating anything he did with a player with what he might do in management (in their wee ideal world) it means literally fuck-all

I understand what yourself and others are saying about not meaning fuck all as a manager but there are certain skills in life you can take into any job/role. By your logic someone who never played football before could be just as good in the job as gerrard? I know it's an extreme example but you have to give him some credit for what he's accomplished as a player and be hopeful if nothing else that some of those skills transpire into management. Comparing him and murty is never the same. I'm not saying he's the most qualified for the job and he's going to be the next messiah etc but I can see why he if nothing else may be thought of as being a good manager. 

2 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

Ha, met your match Declan.

Why you on here rather than celebrating your clubs paedophilia history?

I'm a Rangers fan? 

Warnock. 

I wouldn't take Souness. 

Warnock as a manager has a 40% win rate. The clubs he managed are clubs who are avoiding relegation, not winning titles. I could see why you'd want his experience, but current;y his experience is in avoiding relegation rather than winning leagues.

Just now, Eazy1872 said:

I'm a Rangers fan? 

Warnock as a manager has a 40% win rate. The clubs he managed are clubs who are avoiding relegation, not winning titles. I could see why you'd want his experience, but current;y his experience is in avoiding relegation rather than winning leagues.

What's Gerards win rate as a manager? How many titles has he won as a player or manager? 

You're all over the shop.

1 minute ago, MrMckee said:

I understand what yourself and others are saying about not meaning fuck all as a manager but there are certain skills in life you can take into any job/role. By your logic someone who never played football before could be just as good in the job as gerrard? I know it's an extreme example but you have to give him some credit for what he's accomplished as a player and be hopeful if nothing else that some of those skills transpire into management. Comparing him and murty is never the same. I'm not saying he's the most qualified for the job and he's going to be the next messiah etc but I can see why he if nothing else may be thought of as being a good manager. 

I know man but it's kinda blind hope grasping at qualities he had as a player and hoping he applies it to management with us. McCoist was fiesty on the pitch and a real winner ... against Hearts at Piggery he had Gascoigne by the throat ... what did he do as a manager for us? zero .. likewise Roy Keane ... he was a winner and a bull dog on the park, never shat out a tackle and roared at everyone ... he's flopped at every management position.

It's just blind optimism and that's what keeps getting us into this mess time and time again.

1 minute ago, Eazy1872 said:

I'm a Rangers fan? 

Smith probably had something close to a 40% win rate in England with Everton. I'd also like to see Souness too - he didn't really set things ablaze at Liverpool, Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle.

Zero experience and taking on this squad of losers and hangers on. The job is far too big for him.

There is no way this appointment will work it is the worst possible route we can take. Will be back to square one come December. I don't understand the boards eagerness to get him. We need an experienced manager that can tighten up the defence and midield & make us hard to beat.

It has to be Walter Smith.

22 minutes ago, Eazy1872 said:

I think Steven Gerrard can take this scared of celtic mentality out of our players.

If you look at Celtics results, they don't beat other teams with the same scorelines, they couldn't beat Hibs, they got beat 4-0 off hearts, 1-0 to Kilmarnock? 

I think we all know the players out on the field wearing our jerseys are more than capable of beating celtic. Truly the only thing stopping those players from winning is themselves. I see people insult people like Andy Halliday, he's one of our few players who is committed to our cause, we need more like him. Players like Tavernier, Candeais, Morelos, John, Murphy, Holt, McRorrie and even the likes of Halliday are all quality players, they simply don't believe we can beat them.

Hats off to Murty, he isn't a manager, he is a simple u20's coach. Can we really be angry at him? With the players he's brought in (Imagine how hard it is to attract anyone to our club at the moment). I don't think we can or should be angry at Murty, he has done all he can with the circumstances he's been in. From having to lift our team up, to having two long time Rangers players try slate him. 

Let's hope Gerrard is the one to let our players break free of this mentality. 

Onwards and upwards.

Holy shit. 

Smith probably had something close to a 40% win rate in England with Everton. I'd also like to see Souness too - he didn't really set things ablaze at Liverpool, Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle.

I'd be interested to see what the ex-Watford manager could do.

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I know man but it's kinda blind hope grasping at qualities he had as a player and hoping he applies it to management with us. McCoist was fiesty on the pitch and a real winner ... against Hearts at Piggery he had Gascoigne by the throat ... what did he do as a manager for us? zero .. likewise Roy Keane ... he was a winner and a bull dog on the park, never shat out a tackle and roared at everyone ... he's flopped at every management position.

It's just blind optimism and that's what keeps getting us into this mess time and time again.

I know mate but wether we post on here if it's a good idea or a bad one isn't gonna change the boards mind anyway. Looks like it's a done deal so will try and be hopeful but it's last chance saloon and if it goes tits up the board should be chased out. I think they know that knows the time and there is no more chances so can see him getting decent money to spend and may be able to bring in better players we wouldn't usually get with someone else which might cover up for some of his shortfalls as an In experienced manager. Thats my thinking at the minute with it but can understand why a lot of fans don't want him anywhere near. 

Archived