Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

Just now, The Dude said:

He’s marketable but he’s certainly not THAT marketable. He’s not exactly a big personality (like a McCoist or a Maradona or a Gazza) nor is he someone that huge companies are falling over to have endorse their products. 

We’ll get interest from Liverpool fans but beyond that I don’t see anything that makes me think we’ll notice any sizeable difference just because we’ve appointed him. 

I think he’s considerably bigger than McCoist or Gascoigne was imo 

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Anyone that thinks Steven Gerrard wont sell ST should seek medical help. If the board can get this over the line it'll be worth tens of millions to Rangers

25 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

20m plus?

How?

Can't turn away the chance to make tens of millions so season tickets will only give you 45mins. Renewels get 2nd half, new books get the 1st half.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

I think he’s considerably bigger than McCoist or Gascoigne was imo 

Name wise he doesn’t come close to Gazza. But I meant those guys as in they are the kind of personality who are walking stories for papers etc and are always involved in something. Gerrard is dull as fuck. 

33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I keep seeing folk saying this will bring us huge interest but I don’t buy it.

How many of you watched MLS consistently when he went over there? 

Gerrard has been the topic of global discussion over the past 48 hours. He’s got more column inches than Celtic who just won 7 in a row. 

The interest is global. Debate his credentials to be manager all you like, but his brand is of significant value.

If he was in Glasgow some cunt surely would have seen him at some stage. A hotel worker perhaps, somebody seeing him in his car, or sneaking out of airport etc etc. Not saying that there would definitely be photographic evidence, but surely an eye witness? There has been nothing , which leads me to believe he is not even in Scotland, never mind Glasgow.

47 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Anyone that thinks Steven Gerrard wont sell ST should seek medical help. If the board can get this over the line it'll be worth tens of millions to Rangers

Tens of millions. :lol: 

who needs CL money when you’ve get Stevie g eh? :lol: 

2 minutes ago, gsa said:

Def mccoist but no chance he's bigger than Gazza in the 90's. 

Can agree to disagree Gaza was big in the 90’s but it was a different era with Gerrard and the exposure of internet, social media and even cable and SKY I know people had it but it was handfuls not like it is now in every home 

49 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

You telling anycunt to seek medical help is fucking ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Not sure what's going on at Liverpool, first Gerrard goes, and now Klopp's number 2 Zeljko Buvac has resigned, suggests there might have been trouble with the manager.

Some Liverpoool fans suggesting Gerrard will be Klopp's number 2 now.

All very strange as they are virtually guaranteed a Champion's League final if they keep it together.

There is nothing co-ordinated going on, Gerrard may or may not become Rangers manager, Buvac hasn't resigned he is taking at least a month off from the club, depending on who you believe he has either had a disagreement with Klopp or is suffering from burnout and depression.

As for Gerrard being Klopps number 2, i would be stunned if that were the case, either Buvac will come back after his break or Peter Krawietz will be promoted or a completely new number 2 will be brought in, I think mentioning Gerrard as a new number two is abit of wishful thinking from the Gerrard worshippers amongst the fanbase. Having watched quite a few videos of the two of them interacting I honestly get the impression that Klopp and Gerrard aren't that close. IMO Klopp would be very wise not to have him as a number two, Gerrard is a fiercely driven individual and wants the managers job and wouldn't think twice about knifing Klopp or anyone else in the back to get it.

Still think we need an experienced manager. The only time rookies succeed is with massive money. Apart from legends like Clough etc.

When a manager is in a game, he needs to be able to recount and re-call on past situations.  How much hot water you have been in and got out of, counts for a lot. Even in Scotland, many clubs are miles ahead here Think about it, we haven't had a proper manager since Walter. This again is too left field with SG.

1 minute ago, gsa said:

The commercial benefits are overstated in my opinion. 

We might get more mentions on TalkSport or Sky Sports News but how does that translate into increased revenue?

I’d imagine that he will have a bigger draw than you think. 

Increased revenue through people buying tickets to come see his team.

Through shirt sales attached to players he brings in. This is the key for me, Danny Murphy spoke about it today that Steve Clarke, Tommy Wright even Rodgers wouldn’t have the pulling power that he would have through his name and respect he has earned.

Clubs will give him youth players, experienced players that he knows might fancy being part of his team etc.

Ultimately there needs to be a revolution in Scottish football.   I am not saying that SG is the answer but something radical needs to happen with investment coming in from the middle east or far east.   Rangers is a massive brand and we need to market ourselves and push forwards.   

6 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Gerrard has been the topic of global discussion over the past 48 hours. He’s got more column inches than celtic who just won 7 in a row. 

The interest is global. Debate his credentials to be manager all you like, but his brand is of significant value.

You’re missing the point.

LA Galaxy were the talk of the football world a couple weeks ago when they signed Zlatan. Now? Who gives a fuck. There will always be initial interest in the story - I haven’t suggested otherwise - but I’ve seen nothing that suggests simply hiring Steven Gerrard has any long term benefits in that regard.

Just now, andyhrfc said:

Ultimately there needs to be a revolution in Scottish football.   I am not saying that SG is the answer but something radical needs to happen with investment coming in from the middle east or far east.   Rangers is a massive brand and we need to market ourselves and push forwards.   

We'd be as well recruiting Harry Styles as manager then.

3 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I’d imagine that he will have a bigger draw than you think. 

Increased revenue through people buying tickets to come see his team.

Through shirt sales attached to players he brings in. This is the key for me, Danny Murphy spoke about it today that Steve Clarke, Tommy Wright even Rodgers wouldn’t have the pulling power that he would have through his name and respect he has earned.

Clubs will give him youth players, experienced players that he knows might fancy being part of his team etc.

Hasn’t Ibrox sold out practically every game this season with STs at a record level too?

1 minute ago, andyhrfc said:

What if it came from the near east

Archived