Boss says we weren't fit enough last season

4 hours ago, RFC Eagle said:

Its the perfect choice of words. Everyone of them carries the responsibility to maintain a certain standard in everything they do. That weight is too much for many. I think it depends on the way you have interpreted what was said. The burden is theirs, its not a burden representing Rangers its the job of living up to the badge that is their responsibility. He is asking them to step up and maintain the highest standards, something we haven't seen anyhere near enough of recently.

This exactly.  

As I am sure we all have been watching the training videos,  it is looking decent for a change.  I just hope this is proven when the new season starts.  

7 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

the weight of the badge should be an honour not a burden. it doesn't matter how you tart it up burden is a negative word. 

even use a more neutral word like responsibility but I'm in agreement with TBOB, burden isn't the best choice of word. 

Yep burden is the wrong choice of word for that very reason. I know what he meant but there were other ways, better ways, he could have said it.

Not a huge deal at all imo tho...

4 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Yep burden is the wrong choice of word for that very reason. I know what he meant but there were other ways, better ways, he could have said it.

nah I won't lose any sleep myself, just throwing my tuppence worth in mate. 

I'm excited for the season, will save my negativity for our first loss ?

1 minute ago, born a blue nose said:

nah I won't lose any sleep myself, just throwing my tuppence worth in mate. 

I'm excited for the season, will save my negativity for our first loss ?

1) you don't sleep anyway.

2) even contemplating defeat is a negative.

3) spot on.

I agree that some of the comments about fitness etc are generic. All recent managers have come out with the ‘this is Rangers’ type comments. I think what is different here is that Gerrard makes specific examples of what he perceived to be poor fitness and effort and issuing a threat to players to shape up or be dropped/moved on. The full phrase of course used is ‘fitness and strength’ so I don’t think he’s talking just about energy levels but also how easily our players are bossed and bullied last season. I’ve not heard such explicit demands being placed on our players for a long time. “There are places up for grabs and i’ll know pretty soon who wants them. You have to earn them, it won’t just be given to them any more”. That is a pretty sad indictment of how things have been. 

a blind guy could've told us that. no offense meant to the manager of course. 

sounds promising but it's really bad we're here talking about fitness and mentality. for any football club and not just ours you need to have both. the games a bogey as far as hide and seek goes now. the imposters will be found out and punted.

Agreed. The level of fitness was unacceptable, despite what Murty kept saying. What worries me now is that Murty, who allowed things to get noticeably bad (in terms of fitness and attitude), is now back in charge of the youngsters. Good move Rangers. Not.

21 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

It was the correct use of “burden” in that context 

65C65D7C-8121-4385-A686-2B812B199DDD.thumb.jpeg.8830a0dd95c3cbd083ee8d6b15fee669.jpeg

40 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

the weight of the badge should be an honour not a burden. it doesn't matter how you tart it up burden is a negative word. 

even use a more neutral word like responsibility but I'm in agreement with TBOB, burden isn't the best choice of word. 

BURDEN exactly the affect some of these guys had on the team last season. the onus/burden is on the players to carry the badge to the best of their ability. some have neither the ability or desire to do so,. and need to be punted

14 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

It was the correct use of “burden” in that context 

65C65D7C-8121-4385-A686-2B812B199DDD.thumb.jpeg.8830a0dd95c3cbd083ee8d6b15fee669.jpeg

"We all have to carry the burden of working for Rangers. I do, my staff do and the players have been told that’s the reality of it."

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/burden&ved=0ahUKEwjvxaPZ_9zbAhVMAcAKHcDZDeAQFggfMAE&usg=AOvVaw2w2uq6JlnSRQOEm05eFm4F

- Burden is one of those words that doubles as a noun and a verb. Defined as something you carry or withstand with much difficulty when used as a noun, and as the act of weighing down, overloading, or oppressing when used as a verb, it's a word with a negative charge.

As above, carry the burden is recognised in a negative context.

Fitness has been mentioned by our previous managers and usually it is just a generic line for lip service.

With Gerrard but I do believe we will see a noticeable difference next season.

Reading his book you can see his attention to detail and the standards he expected of himself and his team mates. If he can get the same out of his squad we will see a big improvement on the garbage for last season.

I'm right

No I am right

I'm proving to you I am right

I proved it first.  I am right

4 pages later.... 

Whose right again?  

The end result is what matters.  If he manages to whip the lads into shape, get their attitudes to the game buzzing and get them to play for the badge,  then I will be one elated Bearette.  I want to see champions again! We deserve that much and more.  

I always thought under McCourt we were not fit enough and got away with it in the lower divisions but in the championship that along with tactics got him caught out. Warburton had his faults but I thought the team appeared a fitter under his leadership but we went backwards again last season. A good level of fitness can be worth 10 points in a season. 

6 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

"We all have to carry the burden of working for Rangers."

Terrible choice of words but other than that no complaints.

As you say poor choice of words. Obviously meant the pressure rather than burden. 

3 minutes ago, Brubear said:

I always thought under McCourt we were not fit enough and got away with it in the lower divisions but in the championship that along with tactics got him caught out. Warburton had his faults but I thought the team appeared a fitter under his leadership but we went backwards again last season. A good level of fitness can be worth 10 points in a season. 

Who?