Boss says we weren't fit enough last season

5 hours ago, TMB said:

With all due respect to Gerrard Improving fitness is also one of the buzzwords we hear whenever a new manager takes over:

“Our fitness is good, we don’t want to hurry things unnecessarily, but our fitness is good and we are looking forward to the test at the weekend" - Mark Warburton prior to a friendly defeat to Burnley.

“We know what the club needs. We are working to bring those warriors that the club needs to help us to get to another level. And I really believe that, if things are going in that direction.  It’s very easy to be heroes for the Rangers fans. You just need to give everything on the pitch. That’s what they love. Of course you need to know the game and you need to have ability, but you need to show that passion" - Pedro Caixinha

I remember Ronny Delia banging on about the super fitness of his squad and how Leigh Griffiths was off the Irn Bru and all that shite. 

This! It seems an easy hit re: fitness - but we also won many games late on - I don’t think fitness is a real issue - however I do agree that not every player has the wherewithal to play at Rangers — you have to cope with the expectations of the support - and that has been to much for a few. 

5 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I’m not purposely taking a small bit of that out and ignoring the rest but how can he say everyone has a fresh start with a blank canvas to impress him after telling Cardoso, Holt, Hererra and Forrester to stay at home and find new clubs? I don’t get it? 

If it’s just lip service and cliche I’d rather he didn’t - I want him to be honest and just say a lot of these guys from last season will be gone because that’s what’s needed not second chances 

he’s spot on with the main gist, the fitness. We’ve not looked fit for years imo - does that mean Flannighan is gone?

Perhaps I can answer that for you, mate!  Flannigan was our Head of Performance and Preparation brought in under Warburton. The new head of Performance is Jordan Milson and under him will be Craig Flannigan who will be Head of Preparation. Whether Flannigan is being kept on due to contractual terms or whether it's because they want to get Milson more acquainted with the players, I don't know.

6 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I’m not purposely taking a small bit of that out and ignoring the rest but how can he say everyone has a fresh start with a blank canvas to impress him after telling Cardoso, Holt, Hererra and Forrester to stay at home and find new clubs? I don’t get it? 

If it’s just lip service and cliche I’d rather he didn’t - I want him to be honest and just say a lot of these guys from last season will be gone because that’s what’s needed not second chances 

he’s spot on with the main gist, the fitness. We’ve not looked fit for years imo - does that mean Flannighan is gone?

The players left behind are in talks with other clubs 

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Pedro had them all doing double shifts and stuff last summer mind? 

.... and was sacked in mid October.

6 months of fitness training under Murty might well have undermined the benefit of these double shifts and a pre season under Caixinha.

I honestly can’t recall if we ran out of steam in games under Pedro (or were just out played) but the conditioning work to keep them ticking over in the 2nd half of the season was down to Murty and his backroom staff.

7 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Could it be the players you mentioned are in talks with other clubs and they might move this week 

8 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I dunno it still doesn't make any sense to me - if your a sharp shooter then tell us the deadwood from last season won't be here nevermind talking about getting their fitness up. That's alarm bells for me - but as I keep saying it's a long window - I expect some major moves out. There's just got to be.

Maybe he doesn't want to highlight how bad they are in the hope of attaining a decent fee where applicable

20 minutes ago, bikerblue said:

Maybe he doesn't want to highlight how bad they are in the hope of attaining a decent fee where applicable

Exactly this, you're not going to tell a buyer that the car you are trying to sell them is a banger. 

I remember Warburton saying in an interview that there won’t be a fitter team in the league than Rangers.  

Sure it was while they were pre season training in America.  

Thought at the time it was a stupid thing to say, in fact ironically it was completely disrespectful of him.  

I’d rather SG said less on matters like fitness & cliques tbh.  

I'm currently half way through Gerrard's book and if things work out the way I reckon they might then we should be in for a good season. However, previous seasons would suggest that we keep our tinder dry.

Gerrard is a born winner. All he wants to do is win and be the best he can be. He eats, shits and breathes football. He said in his book that he can tell if a player will make it after watching him in two training sessions, and he went through a number of former Liverpool signings who he had watched in their first training sessions who didn't cut it and ended up on loan or sold. I am assuming this is how he has come to his decisions about who travels to train in Spain. The training regimes will be toughened up, I have no doubt and we will notice the improved fitness levels straight away. Football skills will be impoved and we will see a different style of football to the dire pish we've been forced to endure under the last three managers i'm sure.

Gerrard is a great man manager. He was used extensively at Liverpool not only in his position as Captain, but he was involved in attracting players to the club as well as coaching those who needed a psychological boost now and again in order to get the best out of them. Everything a captain should be both for club and country. He's a completely different animal to the last three stooges we've had and I am expecting great things from him and I'm really looking forward to the coming season.

It's been glaringly obvious we need to get fitter and improve our defence for seasons on end now but, over several seasons and managers, we've repeatedly failed to do so. What he's saying is clear to us all but it's also very true. We won't know how much substance there is to it until pre-season is over but, in the meantime, I'm hopeful.