Perspective required

It's definetely about balance for me today. Under the manager there has been significant progress in a short space of time. Qualification for the EL group stages is testament to that and though some may dismiss it is important for the club not just this season but going forward.

However, the manager got it wrong today. Was it due to long trip or not who knows? It's not the first time he's got it wrong (second half at Motherwell). I think there are things to improve on like ball retention, defending set pieces, sitting in too deep and relying on the defence and gk to much (though we did spent roughly 7/8 million to improve there).

I think all of these negatives are just part and parcel of having a new manager, a rookie manager, 11 new players and a pretty tough schedule. I dont think we should down play the 8 thursdays in a row. I do believe that if say we got knocked out against Osijek or Maribor we wouldn't have lost to Motherwell and wouldn't have set up like we did this afternoon. Not that playing in Russia should be used to excuse today either.

Things for me still look positive, I've been saying it all week but I think the hard work for the manager and the team starts now. This is the bread and butter against the likes of Dundee, St Johnstone and Livingston. The fixture list looks good from now until the start of December. The toughest game being hibs away which may be moved if we beat Ayr. Until December is where we need to go on our 7-9 game winning run. If Gerrard can get the team to that level then I have no doubt we'll be a different force by the end of December when we face them again.

1 minute ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I said a few times on the transfer forums we need a creative midfielder. I think Gerrard feels ejiara will be that player. 

Of course we do, but players who have the necessary technical ability and physical attributes are at a premium, we've had to bring in quantity and concentrate our budget on defence, in the next two windows its all about adding the two or three players with sufficient quality to take us to the next level. SG and no one else thinks a kid on a season loan is the answer, its a pragmatic short term fix till we can scout and afford the quality we need and those players are available.

1 minute ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

Of course we do, but players who have the necessary technical ability and physical attributes are at a premium, we've had to bring in quantity and concentrate our budget on defence, in the next two windows its all about adding the two or three players with sufficient quality to take us to the next level. SG and no one else thinks a kid on a season loan is the answer, its a pragmatic short term fix till we can scout and afford the quality we need and those players are available.

Fair enough ?

Just now, Sket said:

Then I'm sure you'll take much comfort from 6 games in Europe when they win 8 in a row. 

Christ.

we had one chance at Europa league qualification but we have plenty of chances against them. its the 2nd of September.

open yer eyes christ sake.

18 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I said a few times on the transfer forums we need a creative midfielder. I think Gerrard feels ejiara will be that player. 

I agree with you in that I think he feels ejaria is that player, but as much as he has been coming onto a game lately I'm not seeing much playmaking from him.

We need someone in that final third who sees passes other players don't and plays through balls into Morelos or to a runner from midfield/the wing to set up a shot at goal. Too much of our attacking play has been crosses from Barisic, Tav, and Candeias.

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I agree with you in that I think he feels ejaria is that player, but as much as he has been coming onto a game lately I'm not seeing much playmaking from him.

We need someone in that final third who sees passes other players don't and plays through balls into Morelos or to a runner from midfield/the wing to set up a shot at goal. Too much of our attacking play has been crosses from Barisic, Tav, and Candeias.

we do rely on our wingers too much. It showed today when they were pinned back and couldn't contribute in an attacking sense.

34 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

central midfield playmaker. We dont have one.

think Ejaria has this role .he can do the job but due to inexperience he will not be as consistent as he could be .

we probably need somebody more experienced in there but not that many going about in our price range 

so wee need to hope Ejaria learns from today to be better prepared next time 

1 hour ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Not sure I agree with that at all, McGregor stopped it turning into a 4 nil rout.

Never really get people that say things like that, He is part of the team and so play as a team.

Could easily say we were shit against Killie as Morelos 3 goals stopped it from being a draw.

Its also worth saying that of the 11 starters 6 were o/f debutantes, of those 6 two were loan kids, out their depth in reality and one who in the longer term will be an expected starter in these games, Barisic, wasn't really effective and perhaps has suffered as a result of his stop start inclusion in the team.

it only emphasises the embryonic nature of our team, we've so much more to come in terms of our development going forward, it isnt about accepting second this season its about seeing the reality and the bigger picture of what SG is trying to build in the longer term, would be great if we had the funds and players were available and we could have a team put together in one window that could go to the a team who have been settled and built upon season after season, millions spent on it, a team who have just won back to back trebles and skelp them all over the pitch, but is it realistic?

49 minutes ago, geronimoo said:

Never really get people that say things like that, He is part of the team and so play as a team.

You win and lose as a team, but moments of individual brilliance can change a game. Think of how many Old Firm games we won in the 90s when Goram would pull off wonder saves against celtic. McGregor is the sort of keeper who can win you ten to fifteen points a season; Tav squares it to Arfield in the latter stages, rather than shoot, and we likely leave 1-1 - McGregor's saves kept us in the position of needing one goal to nick a point rather than being slaughtered. 

Doesn't make the overall performance any better, but I do think McGregor showed today the importance of having a reliable keeper. 

3 hours ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

The point is he stopped it, Fod wouldn't have, ergo bringing in McGregor has improved us. Having better quality in midfield stops them running through us to create so many chances, that level of quality costs, we simply cant do everything in one window, Get our recruitment right in keys areas in the next two windows and next season I expect us to be a different proposition.

We have signed 15 players ffs. Enough for four windows.

2 hours ago, cushynumber said:

we had one chance at Europa league qualification but we have plenty of chances against them. its the 2nd of September.

We ain’t going to win Europa sofuck it, and as with every cup competition it is a lottery but stopping those cunts is a priority. Open your eyes for fuck sake we were a non runner today and by a mile

2 hours ago, cushynumber said:

My eyes are open. Today was a marker for how far we have came. We have been bullied and bossed since we came back up and today,despite all the talk of undefeated runs and European nights,we were bullied and bossed again. 

I like what Gerrard has done thus far but facts are facts.

We still trail them. 

We still can't lay a glove on them.

We need to improve massively. The honeymoon is over.