Gerrard

Lloyd

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Negri's lovechild said:

It's a theme thats been going through various posts in the thread

No it's not, stop making things up to try and back up your point. Other than maybe one poster I haven't seen anyone say anything close to that.

8 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

also worth noting that those same players - while not maybe providing the assists we are looking for, does mean we do not lose a lot of goals. In all the 23 games we have played even when we have been beaten this season its always been by a single goal and we have failed to score.

Maybe if we had created some chances we wouldn't have failed to score and we wouldn't have lost...

6 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

So we have an inexperienced manager, In his first role, having had to clear out a good chunk of the previous squads in one transfer window and people are saying he is on shaky ground? 

This is the guy we have to give the time to. There is quite clearly progress being made. People are saying about the league position but two or three wins on the spin and we will be right up there. 

We do need to find consistency, I agree, but we also have to remember that a good chunk of the squad have not played regular first team football, most certainly not with European football added in, so they are still learning and adapting. It's a young squad as well so there will be inconsistent form. There are far better signs already than there were with Pedro, and with Murty. 

We need to have patience, and yes we need a creative midfielder. Not every position would have been able to be filled in one transfer window. Gerrard has shown the intelligence that he will make that a priority in January (along with a striker please)

Gerrard said himself that if he doesn't win the big games at Rangers he knows he won't here I have not seen many posters stating that most are just baffled by his subs and inability to affect change in a game.

No ones questioning his performance as a manager in European games but in the League any matches away from home we have been very poor.

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

He brought in 3 central midfielders, it should have been someone who can give us a bit of quality instead of Ejaria or Sid. That was Gerrard's choice to bring them in instead of a playmaker. It's an essential part of the team. If he rates Flanagan so much keep him at LB and spend the Barasic money on a creative player, or the Grezda money. He chose to ignore that issue and we are paying for it. Livingston away we lost because we couldn't break them down, the filth away we lost(might have lost anyway) because we couldn't get a foothold in the game as nobody could pick a pass and we are now out of a cup because despite having all the ball we couldn't do anything with it.

Spin it anyway you want, not signing a midfielder capable of creating chances is costing us big time.

Morleos in on Sunday and we win that game. The entire team did absolutely nothing against Livingston, yet 1 midfielder is supposed to change all that? and against celtic, we shat it first half again. 

Im not suggesting we dont need options, but painting it as "madness" or some big Gerrard mistake (given everything else he had to do) is Hyperbolic nonsense.

Just now, cushynumber said:

Morleos in on Sunday and we win that game. The entire team did absolutely nothing against Livingston, yet 1 midfielder is supposed to change all that? and against celtic, we shat it first half again. 

Im not suggesting we dont need options, but painting it as "madness" or some big Gerrard mistake (given everything else he had to do) is Hyperbolic nonsense.

Based on what? He played in our defeats this season.

A creative midfielder, with genuine ability to create something when we aren't playing well, could easily have been the difference at Livingston.

It's a massive mistake and I'm genuinely shocked that anyone could even attempt to argue otherwise.

6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

There was more than one occasion when people wanted Walter Smith sacked after a poor result or performance :lol:

On our run to manchester some of the earlier rounds were turgid shite and I distinctly remember people saying we will do nothing in the comp

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

No it's not, stop making things up to try and back up your point. Other than maybe one poster I haven't seen anyone say anything close to that.

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

Gerrard said himself that if he doesn't win the big games at Rangers he knows he won't here I have not seen many posters stating that most are just baffled by his subs and inability to affect change in a game.

Maybe that's where I've got it from @Smile so apologies @Jeffrey. The match thread in sure had a few reactions as well. Getting old sucks ? the rest of my post still stands. 

On 28/10/2018 at 22:04, DBBTB said:

No way that can be be used as an excuse now. Gerrard has had backing that every other manager in this league outwith Rodgers can only dream of :lol:

Gerrard has had backing that the last 2 Rangers managers can only dream of, slaughter Warburton all we like but there's no way even he wanted to start the spfl season with senderos and hill as his two experienced centre halves

5 hours ago, cushynumber said:

hate to break it to people, but the standard game plan for breaking down teams that park the bus is to try and stretch the game as wide as possible and get your wingers to get to the byline and put in crosses - rather than try to play through the middle.

As we play with two wingers and a central striker, this is actually something we already do in every game. Its the quality of the cross thats the issue - not the game plan.

Spot on.

Practically every single cross failed to clear the first man.

When it actually did, our third choice striker wasn’t up to speed/scratch (depending on you look at it).

4 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Based on what? He played in our defeats this season.

A creative midfielder, with genuine ability to create something when we aren't playing well, could easily have been the difference at Livingston.

It's a massive mistake and I'm genuinely shocked that anyone could even attempt to argue otherwise.

Arfield and Ejaria can both pick a pass and you have Dorrans aswell. All capable of unlocking a defence with a pass. 

Maybe the system needs to change rather than the players?

5 hours ago, cushynumber said:

hate to break it to people, but the standard game plan for breaking down teams that park the bus is to try and stretch the game as wide as possible and get your wingers to get to the byline and put in crosses - rather than try to play through the middle.

As we play with two wingers and a central striker, this is actually something we already do in every game. Its the quality of the cross thats the issue - not the game plan.

Boom, how true, I do think that not only is the crosses poor a lot of the time, getting to the byline is so important as well, big defenders do not cope well with crosses coming from that area IMO.

4 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

it should have been someone who can give us a bit of quality instead of Ejaria or Sid.

Got any suggestions for the position?

Golden rule when building a team:

1. Don’t concede.

2. Make yourselves hard to beat first.

3. Build on a solid foundation and then add Bells and whistles.

The goals against column tells us the first two have been addressed fairly successfully.

We don’t have the finances to buy players that can carry off a ‘you score three, we’ll score four’ strategy.

No point having Pirlo pinging balls left, right and centre if there’s no fucker to defend from the midfield when the opposition pick up the ball and attack.

2 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Arfield and Ejaria can both pick a pass and you have Dorrans aswell. All capable of unlocking a defence with a pass. 

Maybe the system needs to change rather than the players?

Disagree. Ejaria can play nice and tidy passes keeping it simple but either can't or won't play a killer one for some reason. I rate Arfield a lot but wouldn't say he's a good passer. Dorrans maybe 5 years ago.

2 minutes ago, beararse said:

Got any suggestions for the position?

Golden rule when building a team:

1. Don’t concede.

2. Make yourselves hard to beat first.

3. Build on a solid foundation and then add Bells and whistles.

The goals against column tells us the first two have been addressed fairly successfully.

We don’t have the finances to buy players that can carry off a ‘you score three, we’ll score four’ strategy.

No point having Pirlo pinging balls left, right and centre if there’s no fucker to defend from the midfield when the opposition pick up the ball and attack.

Completely agree with being hard to beat and building on a solid foundation, we've taken it too far though and went for pure physicality with no flair or creativity whatsoever. 

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

Completely agree with being hard to beat and building on a solid foundation, we've taken it too far though and went for pure physicality with no flair or creativity whatsoever. 

Canae agree there at all tbh. We are the league's top goal scorers. So we.must be doing something right in the attacking areas.

Guys like Kent, candieas, Middleton, ejaria, tav, barasic are all creative players. Coulibaly and Jack for me.dont work together as both seem to want to sit and not get forward.

But we definitely want to create and get forward. 

4 hours ago, Smile said:

No ones questioning his performance as a manager in European games but in the League any matches away from home we have been very poor.

You're having laugh. The guy has been stripped bare, bereft of parentage. Not what we need. Get him to fuck. Clueless and so on. Every other thread has got it.

Get the killy taig in. Sorted. Better still get these fucking top managers from the BD in the dug out. Title would be a tap in.

:mutley:

The main reason IMO that great players don't make great managers, is that they get frustrated when lesser players can't do the things they did.

SG is right to want players of better quality, but he's only going to get them if he makes them

Souness was a great player and manager, but look at the players he had. Some folk are making comparisons with SG and Lampar. Well I saw a table yesterday that showed we pay £17m in wages celtic pay almost £60m and Derby pay almost £40m. So I think Frank Lampard is probably working with decent quality players.

I like the attitude of SG when he says we'll go out and buy better quality, but that's easier said than done. He simply has to do the best with the resources he's been given.

3 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Canae agree there at all tbh. We are the league's top goal scorers. So we.must be doing something right in the attacking areas.

Guys like Kent, candieas, Middleton, ejaria, tav, barasic are all creative players. Coulibaly and Jack for me.dont work together as both seem to want to sit and not get forward.

But we definitely want to create and get forward. 

Out wide we have players who will get to the byline and get balls into the box and that's great but through the middle we have nothing. Don't agree that Ejaria is a creative player. Seen him in 15+ games and don't know what type of player he is.

I agree with the last line, just don't think we have the players to do it well enough.

2 minutes ago, RoboBear said:

The main reason IMO that great players don't make great managers, is that they get frustrated when lesser players can't do the things they did.

SG is right to want players of better quality, but he's only going to get them if he makes them

Souness was a great player and manager, but look at the players he had. Some folk are making comparisons with SG and Lampar. Well I saw a table yesterday that showed we pay £17m in wages celtic pay almost £60m and Derby pay almost £40m. So I think Frank Lampard is probably working with decent quality players.

I like the attitude of SG when he says we'll go out and buy better quality, but that's easier said than done. He simply has to do the best with the resources he's been given.

He seems to adore Halliday and continues to pick Sid so that kind of blows that theory out the water.

27 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Disagree. Ejaria can play nice and tidy passes keeping it simple but either can't or won't play a killer one for some reason. I rate Arfield a lot but wouldn't say he's a good passer. Dorrans maybe 5 years ago.

I would say that Ejaria is more than capable tbh, he links up well with Kent, and played a brilliant pass through the Rapid defence to Morelos to win the penalty. He does need to try that more often though, but he can do it.

Arfield links well with Morelos and makes runs off the ball rather than playing killer passes, but that can be just as effective imo, it creates space to exploit.

Dorrans has been unlucky with injuries obviously, but is still capable of picking a pass, we seen that with the Arfield chance away to Villarreal.

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

I would say that Ejaria is more than capable tbh, he links up well with Kent, and played a brilliant pass through the Rapid defence to Morelos to win the penalty. He does need to try that more often though, but he can do it.

Arfield links well with Morelos and makes runs off the ball rather than playing killer passes, that's just as effective imo, it creates space to exploit.

Dorrans has been unlucky with injuries obviously, but is still capable of picking a pass, we seen that with the Arfield chance away to Villarreal.

Disagree on Ejaria

Agree on Arfield 

Dorrans is meh

18 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

He seems to adore Halliday and continues to pick Sid so that kind of blows that theory out the water.

The fact that he's slating players for lack of quality tends to support it.

Slaughter players for lack of effort, but if they're not good enough help them to get better. Or at least let them think they're good enough until they can be replaced

I think Ejaria was brought in to be the creative player but the biggest problem with that is that he’s inexperienced and he plays like he’s inexperienced.

Somebody like Kent, who’s playing on the wings, can get away with drifting in and out of games, but when your are being tasked with being the main creative player in the middle of the park you can’t really do that.

Ejaria is a talented guy but he’s somebody who needs real competition so he can be dropped when he has a bad game or his form dips.

Archived