Who’s Our Biggest Signing Since Gazza?

19 hours ago, DBBTB said:

However for me it’s a straight choice between Artur Numan & Ronald de Boer but I think De Boer probably edges it.

Those were the same to players I was considering before I reached the bottom of the post.  I agree that Dr Boer edges it.

The other big coup was Boumsong on a free, there were a lot of big clubs sniffing around him. 

De Boer for me but reading this thread and being reminded of Prso scoring 4 for Monaco in Champions League before signing or us made me go and watch the game, some top players in that Monaco team. Rothen scores the first too.

10 hours ago, Bluenose-11 said:

De Boer for me but reading this thread and being reminded of Prso scoring 4 for Monaco in Champions League before signing or us made me go and watch the game, some top players in that Monaco team. Rothen scores the first too.

I wonder if it was his birthday that night??

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

De Boer was probably the last time we signed a player that most casual fans, anywhere in the world, would have heard of.

Only other one I can think of since then is Bruno Alves.

52 minutes ago, Badger said:

De Boer was probably the last time we signed a player that most casual fans, anywhere in the world, would have heard of.

Though at the tail end of his career I think that's doing Defoe a disservice. England have been in semi finals with Defoe scoring 20 England goals in around 60 appearances, and the EPL is arguably the most watched league worldwide and he spent over a decade there.

I'd agree he's not at the level of some of the names mentioned, but I reckon his profile is higher than saying most fans wont have heard of him.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Though at the tail end of his career I think that's doing Defoe a disservice. England have been in semi finals with Defoe scoring 20 England goals in around 60 appearances, and the EPL is arguably the most watched league worldwide and he spent over a decade there.

I'd agree he's not at the level of some of the names mentioned, but I reckon his profile is higher than saying most fans wont have heard of him.

In the UK, yes. He is probably our most heard of player in years and years. Definitely more so than De Boer.

Would Defoe be heard of the same way as De Boer, I dunno, to teenagers in Bulgaria? Or would he be like a Di Natale? A guy who scored a lot of goals and you were aware of him... but never seen him play.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

In the UK, yes. He is probably our most heard of player in years and years. Definitely more so than De Boer.

Would Defoe be heard of the same way as De Boer, I dunno, to teenagers in Bulgaria? Or would he be like a Di Natale? A guy who scored a lot of goals and you were aware of him... but never seen him play.

Dunno about Bulgaria 😁👍, just my opinion that England and moreso the EPL are huge box office, and given he's starred in both those environments for donkeys I'm pretty sure most would have heard of him and on TV at least seen him play.