Investment

The Godfather

33 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

The main point of the thread was about Board investment.      Some have made the point that Gerrard has been backed to the hilt.    Some have made the point that having been backed to the hilt its time to deliver.  Even if there are only 2 main strikers the risk has now been accepted by Gerrard and the Club that if one or the other gets injured, loses goal scoring / goal creating form, or is suspended for key games then the other will just have to get the job done, or others in the squad will - unlike last season - need to step up to the plate and contribute with enough match winning goals.     

As I recall it we went through some spells last season when Morelos was absent due to sendings off / bookings where we were relying on contributions for goals from the rest of the team.  Contributions which were not sufficient.  In the end we won nothing.

The proof of the investment pudding for this season will be if we have won trophies.     Clearly that can only be judged at the end of the season so let's see if all this enthusiasm about the level of investment turns out to have led us to the land of trophies won.     The amount of input investment is one thing...….its the outputs that count.    Outputs in the form of trophies won.   If that does not happen then maybe this thread should be revisited at the end of the season and the questions can begin again for next season.    If trophies are won then the thread can be revisited and the benefit of hindsight can be enjoyed from the vantage point of trophies won.

If Gerrard can't organise and lead the team to winning trophies having been given the investment in players he's had this summer then its not just the Board that might be asking questions next May.    He's got all the players the Club were able to get for him and he has a big squad as a result.      I hope he can go on to deliver some trophies as a result.     

Great post.

36 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

For 7 million quid I'd expect 10-15 goals and at least as many assists.

👍

Correct mate ...... all in games that count as well  ..... I like Kent and hope he will deliver the goods this season so that we can stop the tarriers getting any further league titles ..... not going to blow him up as the missing link to our success .... but do agree with others that he is a good permanent addition to the team playing wise and investment wise.

:UK:

42 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

The main point of the thread was about Board investment.      Some have made the point that Gerrard has been backed to the hilt.    Some have made the point that having been backed to the hilt its time to deliver.  Even if there are only 2 main strikers the risk has now been accepted by Gerrard and the Club that if one or the other gets injured, loses goal scoring / goal creating form, or is suspended for key games then the other will just have to get the job done, or others in the squad will - unlike last season - need to step up to the plate and contribute with enough match winning goals.     

As I recall it we went through some spells last season when Morelos was absent due to sendings off / bookings where we were relying on contributions for goals from the rest of the team.  Contributions which were not sufficient.  In the end we won nothing.

The proof of the investment pudding for this season will be if we have won trophies.     Clearly that can only be judged at the end of the season so let's see if all this enthusiasm about the level of investment turns out to have led us to the land of trophies won.     The amount of input investment is one thing...….its the outputs that count.    Outputs in the form of trophies won.   If that does not happen then maybe this thread should be revisited at the end of the season and the questions can begin again for next season.    If trophies are won then the thread can be revisited and the benefit of hindsight can be enjoyed from the vantage point of trophies won.

If Gerrard can't organise and lead the team to winning trophies having been given the investment in players he's had this summer then its not just the Board that might be asking questions next May.    He's got all the players the Club were able to get for him and he has a big squad as a result.      I hope he can go on to deliver some trophies as a result.     

Can't agree.

The proof of investment is purely down to the money they have put in and used for the team/infrastructure.

They have done this, they really can't be criticised for this anymore.

That is not to say that things might not work out. If we finish a mile off the pace and don't win or even put up a fight for tropheys, the the board should then be held to account on their performance. It would not be about investment, they have done that, the issue would be their performance in general.

2 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

For 7 million quid I'd expect 10-15 goals and at least as many assists.

Depends, kent could play key roles in goals but not actually assist in them, or he could be such a player that when teams double up on him, the space is opened up for others to exploit

For what we'll pay i expect him to play a pivotal role in the team, stats dont always show that role

4 hours ago, Moody Blue said:

A lot of money to dish out just for Kent but we’ve also kept Morelos so we might have seen more spend up top if he had gone and we brought in Kent + 1 CF. For example.  There’s really no excuses now, thank fuck for EL money (I’m assuming it’s whats paid for this) 

I would have liked the club to have signed Shankland while he was at Ayr...…… could have been decent back up for when AM and JD get injured or suspended.

BTW How much do we make from the group stages AND qualifying rounds of the EL? Heard the figure 14 million being banded about but wonder if anyone on RM knows an exact figure?

22 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I would have liked the club to have signed Shankland while he was at Ayr...…… could have been decent back up for when AM and JD get injured or suspended.

BTW How much do we make from the group stages AND qualifying rounds of the EL? Heard the figure 14 million being banded about but wonder if anyone on RM knows an exact figure?

It is ballpark £14m once gate receipts are taken into account I think.

The exact figure varies because you get paid more for a win, less for a draw and even less for a loss.

Source: football manager 2019.

Not sure you can call it Board investment either. 

The team earned the club this money it should be spent on improving the team, investment would be the loans that the Board just converted to shares and as far as we know that is being used for the day to day running of the club. 

We have the strongest team we have had in many years and now a team that I believe can be competitive. The goal must always be the league and we have a real chance but the board must be wanting some silverware. One of the most frustrating things last few seasons has been our cup performances, particularly going out to sides like Aberdeen. Progress minimum would be being in the Final /winning at least one of the cups. We need silverware back in the trophy room. It has been too long.