Helander

plymouthranger

Goldson looked like a fucking donkey next to Helander as well, probably because they were both crippled by fear at the thought of someone with working legs running at them 

Since Helander has been injured Goldson has looked decent, last night aside 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

At no point did anyone say that so you're just making stuff up now.

This is a common example of how much worse a player becomes after a single fuck up or poor game.

Try looking at Goldson's performances over a longer period. Yes there are mistakes but overall he's having a decent season. There's not a single defender in the world that doesn't lose cheap goals from time to time. 

I'm really not making it up. He made a bad mistake for that goal, and more previously. I agree that he's been the best defender we've had this season, but that certainly doesn't mean he's good. Does the fact that the manager chops and changes his partner  help him, of course it doesn't.  We can't keep doing that. We need to have a steady back four. However I still don't think he's that good, just my opinion though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Helander is NOT getting better the more he is out. He IS without a doubt the best centre-half at the club. I've said this all along. He may not be the quickest but he gets the job done and we don't concede many goals when he is on the park. I can't see him making a big impact this season as it will take him far too long to get properly match fit again. But there is no doubt he is sorely missed.

Helander may well help due to his (hopefully) organisation skills. 

He def lacks pace so I would pair him with GE. 

Goldson lacks pace too so I don't think that pairing would work especially if we are pressing high. 

I'm surprised that the scores of people on here who wanted Katic to start every game are now saying it's Gerard's fault for starting him. 

We normally have two attacking fullbacks so the CBs need to defend All the time. 

Clear your lines and reset. Not genius level but it works. 

17 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Helander is NOT getting better the more he is out. He IS without a doubt the best centre-half at the club. I've said this all along. He may not be the quickest but he gets the job done and we don't concede many goals when he is on the park. I can't see him making a big impact this season as it will take him far too long to get properly match fit again. But there is no doubt he is sorely missed.

Yes he is. He was rotten at St Johnstone, Livingston and questionable at Hamilton too. He also played when we blew a two goal lead at Aberdeen. He was good in Europe but domestically he wasn’t ripping up any trees like some people are making out.

Ultimately there is very little between our centre halves ability wise but whichever one isn’t playing gets better the less they play. It happened with Katic when he was out, then it happened with Edmundson and now that Katic is  in rotten form it’s Helender’s turn to be the saviour in waiting.

It’s an area where we need a serious upgrade.

11 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Yes he is. He was rotten at St Johnstone, Livingston and questionable at Hamilton too. He also played when we blew a two goal lead at Aberdeen. He was good in Europe but domestically he wasn’t ripping up any trees like some people are making out.

Ultimately there is very little between our centre halves ability wise but whichever one isn’t playing gets better the less they play. It happened with Katic when he was out, then it happened with Edmundson and now that Katic is  in rotten form it’s Helender’s turn to be the saviour in waiting.

It’s an area where we need a serious upgrade.

He has played in 17 games this year and has been part of 11 clean sheets and only 5 goals conceded.  That is pretty impressive. The combination of him and Goldson far outweighs any other combo and the gaffer knows it.

The speed thing isn't really a big thing because good CBs don't need to be fast. 

You have ones like Terry who at 35 won the title with Chelsea and was the best CB in the premiership. He wasn't even quick in his pomp. Then you have lower scale examples like our own Davie Weir whos positional play and brain rarely ever got his lack of speed shown up. 

Hellander isn't like Weir sadly, I don't see it with him at all. 

10 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

The speed thing isn't really a big thing because good CBs don't need to be fast. 

You have ones like Terry who at 35 won the title with Chelsea and was the best CB in the premiership. He wasn't even quick in his pomp. Then you have lower scale examples like our own Davie Weir whos positional play and brain rarely ever got his lack of speed shown up. 

Hellander isn't like Weir sadly, I don't see it with him at all. 

It is when balls are played over the top, as most of the dross are now doing.

11 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

It is when balls are played over the top, as most of the dross are now doing.

It's really not. 

There are plenty top level CBs who don't or didn't have bags of speed who don't get caught out like we do. 

Balls played over the top isn't a new tend 

Helander is the lateat saviour, the less he plays the more important he becomes, he looked alright but not enough to say for sure he's obviously better than the other three, I don't rate Katic or Goldson, if one of those two keep their place then it won't matter how good Helander is,  I want to know why, if he's so talanted that Bologna allowed him to leave and why did he choose to leave Serie A for the SPFL, he only started half of their league games last season, with a further appearance off the bench, was he strugfling for fitness last season to? He's only featured in 17 games for us, all starts; only 8 in the league, it's not goof at all

7 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Bad when we are looking to Helander as the answer. He may stop us conceding best case scenario, but he wont score goals/create chances which we also lack with the worn out tactics.

His passing from the back actually starts a lot of attacks. Its something we have been missing when Katic plays. He is far too slow in his decision making and doesnt see passes up the field. He alsmost every time passes it to the left back.

2 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Helander is the lateat saviour, the less he plays the more important he becomes, he looked alright but not enough to say for sure he's obviously better than the other three, I don't rate Katic or Goldson, if one of those two keep their place then it won't matter how good Helander is,  I want to know why, if he's so talanted that Bologna allowed him to leave and why did he choose to leave Serie A for the SPFL, he only started half of their league games last season, with a further appearance off the bench, was he strugfling for fitness last season to? He's only featured in 17 games for us, all starts; only 8 in the league, it's not goof at all

Out of those 17 the only domestic game we lost was the Cup Final where it was universally agreed we were robbed.

the only other loss was against Young Boys where Tav fucked us good and proper, and again we outplayed them over 90 mins.

Helander might not be the missing piece but I reckon we’d be a lot more solid with him in the team. 

Someone earlier said he was ‘decent, but that’s all, just decent’.

Well, in my book, ‘decent’ is better than ‘shite’ which is what his replacements have been.

That team is rotten and that team is fragile. Would Helander have made a difference ? Maybe but we would still be dropping points when in reality we couldn’t really afford to drop any during what was one of the easiest run of fixtures. 
At the same time though we could be sitting here slagging Helander for poor performances because every member of that squad apart from McGregor don’t have the fight for a title challenge. 
They have embarrassed themselves 

Heard someone say this morning. 'We need helander back as soon as possible. First half of the season we where absolute solid with him in the team'

Said id be suprised if he played 10 games for us in the league. Where i was told he played right up untill he got injured. Checked stats, Helander played 8 games in the league. No the problem.

Archived