New Manager

2 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Allardyce is out of work, someone should be looking into wether he’ll take a mentor type role even if just for the rest of the season, demote McAllister and Beale to make way for him. He’s looking for a new challenge and helping shape an ex player with Gerrards profile into a decent manager might just be a challenge he welcomes.  

Why would Gerrard lean on a man he's never worked with before, who's never worked for a club that's had the expectations ours have had, rather than pick up the phone to Walter/Souness/Klopp/Benitez or whoever?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Ally departed, I have been totally clueless due to being an expat and not hearing the daily gossip.  Warburton and Pedro were from way out left field.  However, rumours were circulating about SG prior to his appointment.

If SG does go, then the suits cannot appoint anyone of a lesser calibre.  It all depends when he decides enough is enough: Murty again? 

Warnock on a short term?

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

Two months ago he was the messiah. Taking us past the groups and sitting top of the league. 

This place is bi-polar man.  Why is Gerrard to blame for underperforming players?  He needs to add more quality to the side and that needs investment. 

a new manager (our tenth in ten years ffs) would make not one bit of difference.  

He has had 20 million to spend. Us and them will always have the odd defeat against another team in the league. Exactly how much money for more quality do we need to beat a team that has won 5 times in the last 25 games those being against Falkirk, Airdrie , St Mirren and twice against us.

If Gerrard were to go there has to be a certain criteria put in place. They will have to have won a league title, the ability to win a lot of games during that season (at least 80%) because right now celtic have won 89% of games. You could probably give a Championship manager an exception because the extra games. Though I think cup success is important to, has any Rangers manager (outwith Walter because when Souness left) ever won a league before a cup? This obviously takes us outside the British isles.

We need a manager who builds a team to score a lot of goals. The manager also needs to be someone who is able to the balance between decent football with a bit of grit, win games 1-0 but can also win 4/5-0 on our day. Which also means not just one way of playing and/or the ability to change.

Budget is important as well, can the manager match expectations with the budget we have in regard to being able to beat teams with a smaller budget extremely regularly, something the current manager hasn't done enough. No one on here has the resources or the time to know all this but Ross Wilson certainly has.

There are good footballers in that team, we all were saying it 3 months ago, it might just be now we need someone with a bit of know-how to get us there.

1 minute ago, gj923 said:

He has had 20 million to spend. Us and them will always have the odd defeat against another team in the league. Exactly how much money for more quality do we need to beat a team that has won 5 times in the last 25 games those being against Falkirk, Airdrie , St Mirren and twice against us.

And how much will a new manager get? And who is going to be this brilliant fantastic manager then?

as I’ve said Gerrard has something about him that means we should give him time. 

watching Rangers two seasons ago was a chore. 
watching Rangers up until Christmas was a joy. 

This is going one of two ways now. One Gerrard walks, something I didn't think was possible until seeing that interview yesterday.  Two gerrard stays on. The board will not willingly sack him. 

One of the reasons for a DOF is to be prepared for a management change for whatever reason. Wilson will have a shortlist of candidates if Gerrard goes.  

If Gerrard stays then he needs to move on the long term failures. Tav has had more than enough time. Morelos for the talent he is, seems to be checked out already and now we've got this latest disciplinary issue. 

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

And how much will a new manager get? And who is going to be this brilliant fantastic manager then?

as I’ve said Gerrard has something about him that means we should give him time. 

And how much has the two European runs generated in income? Must be very close to what's been spent in total on players.

1 hour ago, Rlm said:

That's the main problem beating the other sides who set up so negatively and breaking them down. But  huge plus points under Gerrard definately European Run, cup final, knowing we can beat them and an exceptional home record. 

It means absolutely nothing knowing we can beat then, infact it probably makes this scenario even worse. We have gift wrapped 2/3 trophys to them this year, the league cup we were the better team no doubt about it but again we come up short. Domestically we have a bunch of losers.

13 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

It means absolutely nothing knowing we can beat then, infact it probably makes this scenario even worse. We have gift wrapped 2/3 trophys to them this year, the league cup we were the better team no doubt about it but again we come up short. Domestically we have a bunch of losers.

Cant disagree with you at all. I think we all just frustrated at the what ifs this season.

23 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The point I was making is that spending millions more when we have already outspend the whole league combined apart from them by about 15 times is not the answer. We have played them twice in the league and thus far we both have equal points from those games.

Gerrard has done a fantastic job in Europe getting us from ranked 262nd to 94th and i dare say if he was given a 2-3 more seasons we would be in the top 50 European teams with probably a Champions league appearance.

However we would not win the league (champions league would be due to 2nd place and higher coeffiecent) although eventually we would probably win a cup.

Two seasons ago we still had the likes of Cardoso, Herrera, Kenny Miller and bates playing to name a few.

He has shown no signs of learning how to set up a team in Scotland when the going gets tough and will no doubt depart of his own accord at the end of the season

1 hour ago, Howsitgoing said:

Allardyce is out of work, someone should be looking into wether he’ll take a mentor type role even if just for the rest of the season, demote McAllister and Beale to make way for him. He’s looking for a new challenge and helping shape an ex player with Gerrards profile into a decent manager might just be a challenge he welcomes.  

Stop posting this shite. It's never going to happen ffs. 

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Why would Gerrard lean on a man he's never worked with before, who's never worked for a club that's had the expectations ours have had, rather than pick up the phone to Walter/Souness/Klopp/Benitez or whoever?

Been some absolute mental suggestions this morning hasn’t there?

Ketamine for breakfast this morning?

1 hour ago, SuperPapac05 said:

Sam Allardyce would be brilliant for a one season stop gap just to stop them winning 10 in a row. He knows how to get a specific job done. 

I'm still backing Gerrard even though his stubborness is very frustrating. 

The specific job he knows is to make teams hard to beat. Would we be happy with half as many defeats and three times as many draws ?

We need somebody who can get the best out of a de motivated squad of mainly average players.

7 minutes ago, gj923 said:

The point I was making is that spending millions more when we have already outspend the whole league combined apart from them by about 15 times is not the answer. We have played them twice in the league and thus far we both have equal points from those games.

Gerrard has done a fantastic job in Europe getting us from ranked 262nd to 94th and i dare say if he was given a 2-3 more seasons we would be in the top 50 European teams with probably a Champions league appearance.

However we would not win the league (champions league would be due to 2nd place and higher coeffiecent) although eventually we would probably win a cup.

Two seasons ago we still had the likes of Cardoso, Herrera, Kenny Miller and bates playing to name a few.

He has shown no signs of learning how to set up a team in Scotland when the going gets tough and will no doubt depart of his own accord at the end of the season

This is the biggest concern. You expect a young manager to make mistakes, but a good one to learn from them. And build a squad capable of the challenges ahead.

For me he's built a team full of nice technical players who want to play nice pretty combinations/passing game, with not enough players who like the ugly side of the game. 

Better suited to a European style of football than the domestic one.

Barasic, Goldson, Tav, Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Ojo... etc, all players who are much more interested in the prettier side of the game, spraying nice passes around. That's the guts of a team there, how many on that list do you think actually enjoy games like last night, when the weather is shite, teams are in your face and you need to roll up your sleeves and fight for a victory. 

We wont compete until Gerrard or whoever is manager realsies we need a new hardened spine of the team. 

Allardyce? Get the fuck outta here. 

1 hour ago, SuperPapac05 said:

Sam Allardyce would be brilliant for a one season stop gap just to stop them winning 10 in a row. He knows how to get a specific job done. 

I'm still backing Gerrard even though his stubborness is very frustrating. 

Aye, fighting relegation. I've never seen a club once push for a trophy and decide Sam Fucking Allardyce was the man they needed to get it over the line. 

Fucking hell. Sam Allardyce. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Aye, fighting relegation. I've never seen a club once push for a trophy and decide Sam Fucking Allardyce was the man they needed to get it over the line. 

Fucking hell. Sam Allardyce. 

If only the  English FA had your football knowledge then they wouldn’t appoint a complete failure as a national team manager. Wising up he never reached the position he did all on the basis that he can only assist teams fighting relegation. 

Archived