New Manager

3 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

If only the  English FA had your football knowledge then they wouldn’t appoint a complete failure as a national team manager. Wising up he never reached the position he did all on the basis that he can only assist teams fighting relegation. 

England getting a managerial appointment wrong? Well fuck me. How did Big Sam do as England boss? Did he bring football home? End the long wait to win another World Cup? 

30 years as a manager and he's won the League Of Ireland, the English fourth tier and a couple of playoffs. 

Surprised United didn't go for him as Fergusons natural replacement and he'll be a shoo in to replace Pep at City when he leaves 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If everyone is being unrealistic in their expectations, here's another pipe dream to add to the mix.... Marcelino?

Former Valencia manager, who made them almost compete with Barca and Real while playing aggressive football in a 4-4-2 formation and he bizarrely got sacked after winning a cup!

Just now, The Dude said:

England getting a managerial appointment wrong? Well fuck me. How did Big Sam do as England boss? Did he bring football home? End the long wait to win another World Cup? 

30 years as a manager and he's won the League Of Ireland, the English fourth tier and a couple of playoffs. 

Surprised United didn't go for him as Fergusons natural replacement and he'll be a shoo in to replace Pep at City when he leaves 

Yes and we will be going for managers that might replace Pep  at city, fuck sake.  He didn’t fail at England because of any football failure, it was some  background shite.  The managers we go for will come with risk and baggage, we can’t afford the shoo in for Pep as you seem to indicate in your idiotic reply. 

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Two months ago he was the messiah. Taking us past the groups and sitting top of the league. 

This place is bi-polar man.  Why is Gerrard to blame for underperforming players?  He needs to add more quality to the side and that needs investment. 

a new manager (our tenth in ten years ffs) would make not one bit of difference.  

Murty went from loved on here and then hated within just over a month, because he fucked the league and obviously the celtic pish. Things change.

Warburton sacked due to unperforming player, Caixinha the same, Murty had a team that chucked the season after getting beat off the tarriers, still sacked.

Why does Gerrard get away with the underperforming player?

30 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Murty went from loved on here and then hated within just over a month, because he fucked the league and obviously the celtic pish. Things change.

Warburton sacked due to unperforming player, Caixinha the same, Murty had a team that chucked the season after getting beat off the tarriers, still sacked.

Why does Gerrard get away with the underperforming player?

Because all those you mentioned didn’t get us even close to them. The gap was still massive. 
the signs are there a tell yee 

2 hours ago, GOAT said:

Had this argument wae cunts two years ago, go and look at how much smith spent in January 2007, summer 2007 and winter 2008 and took us from absolute shite to a European final and if it wasn’t for fixture pile up a treble.  Come back and see me when you do. 

Come back and see you when what?  How much did Smith spend after that btw? Was it £20 million he spent to actually win the league in 09?

15 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Come back and see you when what?  How much did Smith spend after that btw? Was it £20 million he spent to actually win the league in 09?

Spent £12m in the first three transfer windows, brought in just under £10m.  Reached a European final, won two cups and clearly if it wasn’t for a fixture pile up would have won the league.  He spent just under £20m in 2008/09 and brought in £12m we then went two seasons without bringing in a single fucking player and won two league titles.  You seem intent on ruining the name of our greatest manager in our own lifetimes.  Fucking weird.  

35 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Spent £12m in the first three transfer windows, brought in just under £10m.  Reached a European final, won two cups and clearly if it wasn’t for a fixture pile up would have won the league.  He spent just under £20m in 2008/09 and brought in £12m we then went two seasons without bringing in a single fucking player and won two league titles.  You seem intent on ruining the name of our greatest manager in our own lifetimes.  Fucking weird.  

I am? How's that? :lol: keep in mind that the next season after he spent £20 million we were practically handed the league when they brought in Mowbray and we needed an ICT win the following season to help us out. They're 7 wins away in the league from matching Walter's title winning points tally from his last season. Point is he'd need, like anyone would right now, £20 million to spend to compete with a completely different celtic team with a completely different, ruthless, mentality. Even if he was offered the job he'd rightly tell us to fuck off. 

9 minutes ago, King Jela said:

I am? How's that? :lol: keep in mind that the next season after he spent £20 million we were practically handed the league when they brought in Mowbray and we needed an ICT win the following season to help us out. They're 7 wins away in the league from matching Walter's title winning points tally from his last season. Point is he'd need, like anyone would right now, £20 million to spend to compete with a completely different celtic team with a completely different, ruthless, mentality. Even if he was offered the job he'd rightly tell us to fuck off. 

Gordon strachan was the manager the season after Manchester and we certainly weren’t practically handed the league that season, we won it the last game of the season away at Tannadice.  Oh and btw, the celtic team under strachan and O’Neill would destroy the current celtic team. 

15 minutes ago, King Jela said:

I’ve just realised you said the season after 2008/09 and not the Manchester season.  Apologies.  We still didn’t sign anyone that season and absolutely ran away with the league, I think you give our team not enough credit that season though. 

Let’s see what he can get out of this shit team between now and may.

im prepared to wait 1 more window to see what we get ship and what we can add- I’m hoping he parts with tavernier and Morelos. There’s no coincidence that tav has played under 4 different managers and is still the same mistake waiting to happen.  I fact from Monday I’d replace him with polster for abit more defensive cover and give McGregor the armband until the season ends.

were stuck with goldson plus 1 and barasic I think although out of form is still good.

if it’s 3 across the middle then arfield, Jack, aribo. And front 3 of kamberi,Defoe and Morelos .

see what points we finish on and re evaluate everything from top to bottom.

10 minutes ago, ayrshireranger said:

If he goes, for me its:

De Boer

GVB

Bilic

Dark horse?.   Chris Hughton wouldn't be the worst shout.

De Boer under contract with Atlanta where he is doing well with them. Would cost money and question if he would be interested

GVB - probably on at least 5 million in China...never happening

Bilic - again probably decent 7 figure sum salary

Houghton only one out of work of the 4 who has never done anything in management

Wow, the shit has really hit the fan.

Some really strange names being thrown in to the ring on here.

Dysche, Allardyce, Redknapp, Pardew, Warnock , every one an expert in survival.

No chance the are a benefit to Rangers.

Gerrard has improved the profile, professionalism, finances and reputation in Europe of the club.

If he steps down it will be a sad day for Rangers in my opinion.

I never saw us ever reaching the last 16 of any European cup again. And we have, he will weed out the ones he knows are not up to it domestically.

I back the current manager.

Here's maybe an interesting left field option. Serhiy Rebrov who is currently managing Ferencvaros in Hungary.

He's had a very successful stint with Dynamo Kiev where took Dynamo from 4th to title winners in a season and helped them win only their 3rd title in 11 years and did it going unbeaten. In the 14-15 season as well as winning the double he took Dynamo to the Europa League quarters. The next season they won the league again, winning 88% of there matches and only losing 2 (2 losses in 52 league matches, 83% win record). This year he also took Dynamo to the last 16 of the CL. His third and final season didn't go so well and they fell back in to second but still won the cup.

He went to Al Ahly for a year which I presume was for a payday then ended up at Ferencvaros. In his first year they won the league by 13 points and it was only their second title in 15 years. This year they are currently top by 3 points but have 2 games in hand to all there nearest challengers. He also managed to get Ferencvaros into the Europa League group stage which for a Hungarian side is some achievement.

He's a manager that has managed in a stronger league than us as well as probably a weaker league and has had great success. He's taken one club in Dynamo Kiev who have suffered against one club with bigger finances (sounds familiar) and turned them into a successful side without having to rip apart the team. He's also done the same with Ferencvaros who had there money troubles in the mid 2000s (I believe) and is close to turning them into back-to-back champions. 

The obvious risk would be wtf does he know about Scottish football? Probably little. However, he must have a decent grasp of English considering his time in England and he has shown he can go to different leagues he has never worked in and been successful. I also can't imagine him being on big bucks in Hungary.

Archived