John Fleck

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MaddistonKnight said:

But he did apply himself and look what he's done for himself.  A decent career.

If the people round about you aren't up to it, it is easy to end up going down the wrong road if you don't watch out.

Agree, built a very solid career.

I wonder if he’d have flourished if he’d stayed in Glasgow?

Guys in here reckoned to see him out and about the pubs (allegedly), so maybe separating him from his crowd was beneficial?

While not exactly hitting the heights when he hit our first team, I recall an article by someone like Guidi before a trip to the sty, reckoning we couldn’t win there without him. 

Been a few of our players in recent times who were average to good with us, who went on to do better in the Premier League. The best league in the world (allegedly).

Arteta, Adam, and now Fleck, spring to mind. 

Does suggest that this shitey wee Scottish League we have here does not encourage football talent in games here in Scotland, and maybe any decent player are being hounded or kicked out the game  by hammer throwers and corrupt referees. (i.e.  Morelos).

10 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Watched him in the unders for us and he was exceptional. 

Broke into the first team and was very underwhelming but to be fair he was 16/17 and tiny and trying to adapt to it all.

I've not watched a lot of him in recent years to be honest but from what I hear he's turned into a good player now.

It just goes to show that people who always shout about "putting the kids in" ... it's not as simple as that. We don't have the luxury of waiting 6/7 years of playing them every week until they are fully developed and will do the first team a turn. 

He'll never be better than Ryan Jack.

2 minutes ago, Pure_Quality said:

Stupid post, if Charlie Adam is Liverpool class, I'm sure he'd do okay.

Steve Davis was decent down there don't forget.

1 hour ago, BlueThunder said:

I remember folk on here saying he would disappear into oblivion. 

To be fair.... he sort of did for 4-5 years, then it seems to have clicked and he has became the player he should have been. I don't think he'd have made it if he stayed in Glasgow. 

9 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Stupid post, if Charlie Adam is Liverpool class, I'm sure he'd do okay.

Steve Davis was decent down there don't forget.

Its not stupid. I agree John Fleck is less good than Ryan Jack and Charlie Adam and Steven Davis did well in England.

23 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

Him and Gilmour are the worst for me.

Why the fuck did we let Gilmour go for £500,000?

Think himself and his family were not wanting to stay, the fee was down to youth player restrictions - Gilmour couldn't wait to be shot of the club. Fair play to him, he is doing well - but I wouldn't want to see him back. The whole thing stank.

Would take him in a heartbeat right now, perfect replacement for Davis however by the time we can afford him imagine he'll be past it and hopefully we are past him. 

10 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Would love to see him back, sooner rather than later. 

The market's changed too much, I think our last few managers have toyed with bringing former Gers players back, whether it be Halliday for morale, or Davis for experience. (MCGregor is and exception, he was, and is a bloody good goalkeeper. )

Gerrard wants to play an exciting footballing and attacking team. Most current Scottish  and ex Rangers players don't fit this style. 

The future is younger abilty and enthusiasm, 3 or 4 hardened professionals from tougher leagues, and a few talented Scottish players who have shown ability at other Scottish clubs, plus the odd few youth players who can hack it in the physical Scottish league after poncing around in our academies. The best academy players (if any) will now always be off to English clubs (Billy Gilmour) before they are 20, but still worth nurturing as they will have a sell on value. 

And if Fleck never left he would never have reached where he's at now. Even then although he's a good player in a good Sheffield utd Premiership side, he could easily be a midtable championship player in the same vein. 

45 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

Him and Gilmour are the worst for me.

Why the fuck did we let Gilmour go for £500,000?

Because we couldn’t do anything else. It was all down to Gilmour.

1 hour ago, Pure_Quality said:

He already is

42 minutes ago, Pure_Quality said:

You're 100% wrong IMO tbh.

Sorry but just particularly strongly disagree with @British_Empire and @tannerall about how good Ryan Jack is.

I'm sorry.

Are you saying Ryan Jack's good or not? .... I'm not saying he's pish or anything, I just think he's seriously over-rated. 

A modern day Hemdani for me. Tidy enough footballer who looks good in winning teams but in games we need grit and battlers and people to probe I think he falls way short. 

This season up until about December he was outstanding, though. Form of his career. 

15 hours ago, HG5 said:

Agree, built a very solid career.

I wonder if he’d have flourished if he’d stayed in Glasgow?

Guys in here reckoned to see him out and about the pubs (allegedly), so maybe separating him from his crowd was beneficial?

While not exactly hitting the heights when he hit our first team, I recall an article by someone like Guidi before a trip to the sty, reckoning we couldn’t win there without him. 

I think Scotland is a poor place to try and learn your trade. Too many around with the "I knew his father" attitude, too many trying to pull you down, It seems to be the way up here that if you are seen to be trying to better yourself you'll be decried for it.

I  heard that Grant Prenderleith, a 400m runner who was a player in the lower leagues/Juniors,  lost mates because of his dedication to running - allegedly, to keep me from being sued! His football chums couldn't accept his dedication to his sport in comparison to their own shit dedication to theirs. Basically he wouldn't go out drinking so that made him a cunt. Tells you all you need to know about trying to succeed in this shitehole.

In short, he wouldn't have flourished in my opinion. And definitely not under McCoist. Who did?

Archived