Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Mario Gotze is a name I'm hearing on the grapevine. Seems he wants a new challenge outside Germany and has high regard for Gerrard. Out of contract so no fee and seemingly wages wont be an issue

Hahaha.

Even if you weren’t fishing there’s no way I’d take him here. He’s done.

17 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Mario Gotze is a name I'm hearing on the grapevine. Seems he wants a new challenge outside Germany and has high regard for Gerrard. Out of contract so no fee and seemingly wages wont be an issue

We will have 2 world cup winners in the team between him and Fekir. Promising.

24 minutes ago, Swally said:

Can someone no just make up some kind of bullshit rumour to inject a bit of excitement into the thread?

The Fekir shite at least kept a bit of interest :lol:

This isn’t a rumour, I’m happy to message people my source but I have it on strong authority that Bilel Mohsni is coming back

1 minute ago, Essandoh said:

This isn’t a rumour, I’m happy to message people my source but I have it on strong authority that Bilel Mohsni is coming back

Heard hes back for a main event fight wi dungcaster that true????

20 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Never recovered from his muscle disease. His goals have rapidly declined in recent years despite only being 28. Too big a risk.

Can’t decide if I want our business (if any) done early, or wait until near the end of the window. As much as I love getting players settled in quickly, I think it also allows other teams (ie the filth) to react to our signings.

Not that I suspect there will be a huge amount of signings, mind you.

5 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Can’t decide if I want our business (if any) done early, or wait until near the end of the window. As much as I love getting players settled in quickly, I think it also allows other teams (ie the filth) to react to our signings.

Not that I suspect there will be a huge amount of signings, mind you.

For all of their chat about investing for 10* in a row I’d be surprised if they do any serious business. I think they’ll end up selling one or two of their first team players and replacing them with cheaper options. 

Their wage bill is massive and so the period without income will hurt them more than they’ll acknowledge.

I’m for quality over quantity so reservations over this McGhee but other teams have shown you can pick up good frees from big teams.

Empoli got Bennacur from Arsenal sold him to Milan for 16m few seasons later.

PSV picked up Malen from Arsenal for about half a million. 17 goals in 25 apps, talk of 20+ million move in summer.

Hertha signed Dilrosun from city for free and he’s now valued at 10m+ after doing well.

Cant blame people writing him off already as this type of signing has never worked out previously. Teams have shown you can do it successfully tho, it’s  just we’re fuckin hopeless at it.

44 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

I’m for quality over quantity so reservations over this McGhee but other teams have shown you can pick up good frees from big teams.

Empoli got Bennacur from Arsenal sold him to Milan for 16m few seasons later.

PSV picked up Malen from Arsenal for about half a million. 17 goals in 25 apps, talk of 20+ million move in summer.

Hertha signed Dilrosun from city for free and he’s now valued at 10m+ after doing well.

Cant blame people writing him off already as this type of signing has never worked out previously. Teams have shown you can do it successfully tho, it’s  just we’re fuckin hopeless at it.

To be honest some of it is just dumb luck. Some players take that step up to first team football in their stride and others don’t. 

If you make signings like that you have to just accept a decent proportion of them won’t work.

2 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

To be honest some of it is just dumb luck. Some players take that step up to first team football in their stride and others don’t. 

If you make signings like that you have to just accept a decent proportion of them won’t work.

True there will be an element of that but got to be some sort of science behind it.

Our Scouting/transfers have been a riot since the McLeish days with a few exceptions.

3 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Same with a lot of players ,some find a club that suits them and some find clubs where they just don’t find their feet at all 

5 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

True there will be an element of that but got to be some sort of science behind it.

Our Scouting/transfers have been a riot since the McLeish days with a few exceptions.

Was a riot under McLeish too tbh. He operated under really tough conditions but also signed a lot of guff :lol: 

Scouting is just difficult. Basically no club gets it consistently right. I do agree we need to do a lot better though.

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

Was a riot under McLeish too tbh. He operated under really tough conditions but also signed a lot of guff :lol: 

Scouting is just difficult. Basically no club gets it consistently right. I do agree we need to do a lot better though.

Aye I was most definitely including McLeish 😂 should of worded it since Advocaat.

Hopefully Wilson is the man to improve it to where it needs to be.

1 hour ago, Smell the hotdog said:

The science behind it will only get you so far.. if it was purely down to science then most clubs would be getting it right most of the time... they dont. Dembele at Barca, for example. Great at Dortmund then a massive move which turned out to be shite. 

1 minute ago, johanhentze said:

The science behind it will only get you so far.. if it was purely down to science then most clubs would be getting it right most of the time... they dont. Dembele at Barca, for example. Great at Dortmund then a massive move which turned out to be shite. 

Nothing is ever going to be fail safe every transfer needs a bit of luck. I believe in the science in it plays a reasonable enough part but so many other things come into play like how they adapt to new surroundings, character, home life etc.

Think that shows in certain clubs who do it far better than others Leipzig, Dortmund, Ajax to name a few. 

11 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Exactly why Fekir wouldn’t cut it when he steps up to a club our size imo 

48 minutes ago, ZZed said:

I can't comment on whether this player is any good, but I think poaching talented young players from English clubs before they break through  might be a good policy for Rangere to adopt. It is a policy that a lot of German clubs have taken and was how Dortmund signed Sancho.

8 minutes ago, STEVEH said:

I can't comment on whether this player is any good, but I think poaching talented young players from English clubs before they break through  might be a good policy for Rangere to adopt. It is a policy that a lot of German clubs have taken and was how Dortmund signed Sancho.

Do the names Zelalem, Hyndman, Ejaria and Ojo ring a bell?

Bright enough youngsters in their own way but we need battle hardened leaders this season.

2 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Mind the summer he signed 5 captains :lol: 

Who can name them?

Archived