Gerrard's record at Hibs, Hearts Aberdeen and Kilmarnock

37 minutes ago, TMB said:

It means we're not as bad as people on here are making out.  Bad teams don't beat the champions of four different countries during a European run.

Apart from Young Boys none of the sides we played in Europe last season were champions.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gogzy said:

We were talking about his ability to get a job down south.  Nothing to do with him being a Rangers manager.

My bad. And I actually think he would do ok down south with his style of play. The prem is similar to European football. Not many teams sit in as deep. 

6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Can’t wait until May when we haven’t won fuck all but the players and the management team are celebrating on the pitch with a completed copy of the year end accounts. It’ll be some buzz. :lol:

Reminds of Arsenal whenever they finished 4th.

FE3C6106-C169-4FA2-A1D5-B3FA266E6E1D.jpeg

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

My bad. And I actually think he would do ok down south with his style of play. The prem is similar to European football. Not many teams sit in as deep. 

10 men behind the ball and all out defense is a tactic that has worked against the best teams for years, otherwise teams wouldn't do it.

It's not easy to break down a well drilled defensive team.

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

I'm not saying one is more important than the other.  All I'm saying is let's not downplay the importance of the European run as the financial aspect of that is massive.  Gerrard is obviously doing everything he can domestically and the gap has closed to a point whereby both teams are now very evenly matched.  Evenly matched not just in the Old Firms, but Euro performances, and where we are in the league.  We can win silverware this year if we stick with Gerrard and give him another crack at it with the 4-2-3-1 and improved playing squad.

I was actually against the Gerrard appointment initially.  I thought it was a huge gamble to appoint another rookie manager when the club was desperate to steady the ship.  I felt we needed a safe pair of hands but who was out there wanting the job?  No one.  Gerrard has completely surpassed my expectations by steadying the ship and bringing an element of prestige back to the club with our European performances.  We don't need to fear games against celtic anymore because we can more than match them.  Now everyone wants Gerrard gone and who is going to replace him when we become a basket case of a club again?  Letting Gerrard go at this point would be nothing short of disaster for this club.  

I don’t want us to replace Gerrard unless something goes drastically wrong but we need a trophy this season otherwise he’s done.

3 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Apart from Young Boys none of the sides we played in Europe last season were champions.

Young Boys, Legia, Midtjylland, and Porto all won their domestic leagues last season.  we literally played the best teams from Denmark, Poland, Switzerland, and Portugal, and we beat them all. 

The vast majority of Rangers fans support Steven Gerrard but it is the same few posters on RM day in and day out who can't wait to stick the boot in whenever they see an opening.

And if you don't think you are the minority then you have your head buried in the sand. Instead of moaning, try offering a constructive alternative. Changing managers right now would set us back at least a season or two.

We are undefeated and top of the league but you wouldn't know it reading RM threads these days.

We don't sign the likes of Kent & Hagi if it was not for Gerrard.

Was it Gerrard's fault that our best player to date this year fucked it yesterday?

6 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Rangers managers are judged on one thing. Beating our rivals. Winning trophies. 

If euro runs are so important then why did we sack Paul Le Guen....

Pretty widely reported Murray would have kept Le Guen but he wanted to leave, mention of Waburton is the same. 

They both played a huge part in their departure through their choices rather than just being sacked. 

1 minute ago, gogzy said:

10 men behind the ball and all out defense is a tactic that has worked against the best teams for years, otherwise teams wouldn't do it.

It's not easy to break down a well drilled defensive team.

It's not just beating the block though. Hibs didn't sit in as deep as Livingston did for instance. 

8 minutes ago, TheJacketRFC said:

Exactly mate but a part of it is down to our players mentality, I honestly think some of our players give up when a team gives us a game and equalises.

We’re are bullied in the middle of the park all too often we desperately need a winner in there someone who can control a game and push the team on, stick a Barry Ferguson in there and this team strolls this league 

Just now, TMB said:

Young Boys, Legia, Midtjylland, and Porto all won their domestic leagues last season.  we literally played the best teams from Denmark, Poland, Switzerland, and Portugal, and we beat them all. 

They weren’t champions at the time though plus Legia and the Danish teams weren’t impressive.

6 minutes ago, TMB said:

So you don't think Lennon has taken celtic backwards?  You think this years celtic team is just as good as the celtic team Brendan Rodgers put together?  Brendan Rodgers team went a full season unbeaten domestically and was qualifying for the Champions League.  

celtic have went backwards.  That's the reality.

Still seem to get the job done in the league. 

Gerrards record away to diddy teams in the league we need to win to stop them, he's been poor and he doesn't seem capable of changing things when we are struggling. 

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

The vast majority of Rangers fans support Steven Gerrard but it is the same few posters on RM day in and day out who can't wait to stick the boot in whenever they see an opening.

And if you don't think you are the minority then you have your head buried in the sand. Instead of moaning, try offering a constructive alternative. Changing managers right now would set us back at least a season or two.

We are undefeated and top of the league but you wouldn't know it reading RM threads these days.

Was it Gerrard's fault that our best player to date this year fucked it yesterday?

Wholeheartedly disagree. I know you have always been blinded by Gerrard, but I'd say the majority on here have lost faith in him..... Probably round about the game we lost to Hamilton at home and he had his wee "I need the next couple days to think" episode. You always find something to blame, the players, the refs. Never see the constant failings of the manager.

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

The thread title is about his poor record away to Premiership teams. Why do you keep banging on about his European record? Nobody is complaining about that. 

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

"We haven't conceded a goal yet ffs". 

We've always been able to sign good players regardless of who the manager is. 

Just now, 6superbarry6 said:

A central midfielder should have been number one priority this window, instead we look to have brought in Morelos replacements before he’s even away 

Had Morelos been sold, which looked very likely, our only recognised striker would've been Defoe (who I think was injured when most of the transfer speculation was happening).  So I can understand why the club chose to reinforce their striking options as a priority. 

You're point about Gerrard not recognising our shortage of midfielders was incorrect in any event.  He's spent weeks talking about the need for more in midfield.  The only thing holding it up must be finances.  That situation would be helped by European qualification but people like you want us dumped out of Europe as soon as possible.

1 minute ago, OhW said:

The thread title is about his poor record away to Premiership teams. Why do you keep banging on about his European record? Nobody is complaining about that. 

Can play devils advocate all day here.

Beat a side that won a domestic league but lost twice to the worst side in our own league.

2 minutes ago, OhW said:

The thread deviated from what it was initially quite some time ago.

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

Wholeheartedly disagree. I know you have always been blinded by Gerrard, but I'd say the majority on here have lost faith in him..... Probably round about the game we lost to Hamilton at home and he had his wee "I need the next couple days to think" episode. You always find something to blame, the players, the refs. Never see the constant failings of the manager.

I'm not blinded by Gerrard mate. He has made mistakes but I do believe he is improving on the job. I sometimes question his substitutions (Hagi yesterday) and some of his transfers haven't worked out (four wingers last summer).

But I do believe he is the man to win 55.

Archived