Investment

BridgeIsBlue

SCOTTISH businessman Stuart Gibson has made a £5million investment in Rangers to become the fourth largest shareholder at Ibrox.

Documents lodged at Companies House earlier this week showed that £8million worth of shares in RIFC plc had been allocated and Gibson is the main money man behind the transaction.

Gibson – who was born in Paisley and now operates in the Far East- previously provided a £1million loan to Rangers and has now stumped up a further £4million in cash to secure an 8.27 per cent stake in the Light Blues during the latest Ibrox share issue.

The property tycoon is the founder of the Redwood Group and is currently the co-CEO of ESR, a leading real estate firm that operates in China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Australia and India.

His significant Ibrox investment comes as George Taylor, Douglas Park and George Letham also put more money into their boyhood heroes to further strengthen Rangers’ financial position.

More to follow.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

In all seriousness, for investors to put in money during current climate is fantastic.

Yeah seems like good news for a wee change.  

Not trying to lessen your sentiment or dampen the news but I’m pretty sure it’ll be a fantastic deal for the investors as well.  

Stuart Gibson knows Scottish football and other leagues around the world won't last a season at this rate. For a man of his wealth it's a risk worth taking. 

I personally hope our league doesn't collapse in fear of how bad it can all get. I'd absolutely love our team to be in a European super league etc.

If leagues collapse allover the world it'll be absolutely horrendous for everyone imo. The economy would be done and.... 

Personally I want the governments to support our businesses. People need to step up. If the world economy collapses it'll do far more damage than Covid 100% :( 

19 minutes ago, VanBronckhorst2 said:

Stuart Gibson knows Scottish football and other leagues around the world won't last a season at this rate. For a man of his wealth it's a risk worth taking. 

I personally hope our league doesn't collapse in fear of how bad it can all get. I'd absolutely love our team to be in a European super league etc.

If leagues collapse allover the world it'll be absolutely horrendous for everyone imo. The economy would be done and.... 

Personally I want the governments to support our businesses. People need to step up. If the world economy collapses it'll do far more damage than Covid 100% :( 

The economy as we used to know it is down the pan now, more restrictions coming in even though there was only 7 deaths in the last 24 hours and by the looks of it will only get worse, don't hold out any hope of stepping foot inside Ibrox this season now and will actually be shocked if the season is completed.

Anyway you look at it this is good news. 1M of debt exchanged for shares and a further 4M pumped into the club.

He clearly feels that 20p a share Rangers are a good investment.

I suspect that he is right and Rangers share price will recover over the years.

5 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

The economy as we used to know it is down the pan now, more restrictions coming in even though there was only 7 deaths in the last 24 hours and by the looks of it will only get worse, don't hold out any hope of stepping foot inside Ibrox this season now and will actually be shocked if the season is completed.

Imo we don't have a single chance of us completing this season mate. It seriously worries me.

Edit* Obviously things can change. This route we're heading will destroy our economy imo.

53 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

In all seriousness, for investors to put in money during current climate is fantastic.

Billionaire investor businessman have apparently done really well during the Covid crisis (on the news yesterday) I'm going to guess millionaires have done not too shabby themselves too. Especially those who invest in electronics. 

Guys like this and the ST holders and everyone who bought any merchandise during this pandemic needs to be applauded 👏🏻👏🏻

The people who can’t currently give also need appreciated for their past efforts as we all know the people will give when as soon as they can 👏🏻👏🏻

31 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Billionaire investor businessman have apparently done really well during the Covid crisis (on the news yesterday) I'm going to guess millionaires have done not too shabby themselves too. Especially those who invest in electronics. 

We have mate. Thanks for asking.

It's great news considering the uncertainty and the financial climate/economy with the likes of Covid. 

Something that's not been mentioned (and this is coming from someone in me who disagrees/is infuriated with a lot of decisions he makes in charge of our club) is that Park has not (as far as I can see anyway), demanded first dibs on this new batch of shares in exchange for what he's already owed. I don't think anyone would have a problem on all these millions worth of new shares, being used to pay back these soft loans that he's made.

Credit where it's due. I still think he's soft as shite and doesn't go after Scottish football and defend the club the way we need and deserve, but when it comes to putting his hand in his pocket, you've got to respect that.

Archived