Jim Mclean dead

AlCapone

4 hours ago, pcbear said:

:lol: Not too many would have crossed him, the BBC clown got a clump for trying it on and i believe much of Walters traits came from being Jims apprentice.

Ever hear of the battle of the Roma tunnel? Walter could always look after himself, but aye wee Jim had an enormous influence on Walter and I'm sure his passing will sadden him greatly.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Malvern said:

Quality manager, sad news hearing of his death, long may he rest in peace.

The time of quality Scottish managers is fast becoming extinct, the new lot are a load of shit.

Great at parking buses though. 

I'm just gutted I started getting more of a proper knowledge of football at the point where Scottish clubs outwith us and the scum just gave up and settled on people like McInnes etc. Ambition has gone just to get 'a good point'.

3 hours ago, Malvern said:

Quality manager, sad news hearing of his death, long may he rest in peace.

The time of quality Scottish managers is fast becoming extinct, the new lot are a load of shit.

Wasn't he a bully?

9 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

Wasn't he a bully?

He was similar to Clough who used to punch his players (the good old days) 😃 I would have hated to play for a manager like Jim McLean. Don't mind getting punched by a manager as long as I'm allowed to punch him back. 

11 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

Wasn't he a bully?

He was. He also destroyed a few careers by holding on to a players registration so that they couldn't sign for anyone else. This was in the pre Bosnan days when your contract could be up but you could be prevented from signing for another club.

His results in Europe in the 80s were incredible. 

United would have played in the !984 European Cup Final after taking a 2-0 win to Rome but lost the return 3-0 after the referee had received a large bribe, which was confirmed in later years by Roma officials.

12 hours ago, Kaydubya11 said:

Some incredible results in Europe for such a wee club down to him...

They probably werent (and still arent) the biggest club in dundee. To take them to a european cup semi and a uefa final was a miracle really. They were some team in his day for sure. For whatever reason though we could normally beat them even when we were coming 5th and they were the best team in the country, fuck knows why. As for him being a bully, well a lot of alex fergusons players said that of him as well, joe harper for instance certainly did and hates him to this day. I suppose that was the old school.

4 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

They probably werent (and still arent) the biggest club in dundee. To take them to a european cup semi and a uefa final was a miracle really. They were some team in his day for sure. For whatever reason though we could normally beat them even when we were coming 5th and they were the best team in the country, fuck knows why. As for him being a bully, well a lot of alex fergusons players said that of him as well, joe harper for instance certainly did and hates him to this day. I suppose that was the old school.

Clough and Revie were the same as was BJK, even our Jock Wallace bullied the players. 

They all got great European results. 

6 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Clough and Revie were the same as was BJK, even our Jock Wallace bullied the players. 

They all got great European results. 

Thats the way it was, not saying it was a good thing. Society has changed, probably for the better. At school now the kids are friends with their teachers. When i was there there were teachers that hated us and dished out the belt cos they liked doing it, and we hated them back.

12 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

Thats the way it was, not saying it was a good thing. Society has changed, probably for the better. At school now the kids are friends with their teachers. When i was there there were teachers that hated us and dished out the belt cos they liked doing it, and we hated them back.

Player power and agents changed the football. Players were more tied to the club in the 70s and 80s even, but higher wages, more opportunity and self interested agents gave the players independence. 

Always remember a Kevin Keegan story about being  the England manager where he said he was going to bollock the players at half time, after a poor performance. Said he walked in to the dressing room, looked at the players, then thought "These guys are mostly multi millionaires, are they really going to be bothered with  any kind of  a telling off ?"

Edit: Here's that England squad, doubt Keegan stood a chance, except maybe with Gerrard. 

David Seaman, Nigel Martyn, Richard Wright.

Defenders: Phil Neville, Gary Neville, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Gareth Southgate, Gareth Barry.

Midfielders: David Beckham, Dennis Wise, Paul Ince, Nicky Barmby, Paul Scholes, Steven Gerrard, Steve McManaman.

1 hour ago, tannerall said:

Player power and agents changed the football. Players were more tied to the club in the 70s and 80s even, but higher wages, more opportunity and self interested agents gave the players independence. 

Always remember a Kevin Keegan story about being  the England manager where he said he was going to bollock the players at half time, after a poor performance. Said he walked in to the dressing room, looked at the players, then thought "These guys are mostly multi millionaires, are they really going to be bothered with  any kind of  a telling off ?"

Edit: Here's that England squad, doubt Keegan stood a chance, except maybe with Gerrard. 

David Seaman, Nigel Martyn, Richard Wright.

Defenders: Phil Neville, Gary Neville, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Gareth Southgate, Gareth Barry.

Midfielders: David Beckham, Dennis Wise, Paul Ince, Nicky Barmby, Paul Scholes, Steven Gerrard, Steve McManaman.

9 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

Different topic altogether but it’s a fascinating topic just how much society has changed since then .

think a lot of it was still down to the country still being relatively recently out of two world wars and also national service only recently abolished. Most men of a certain age at that time were disciplined and Some battle hardened . And this is something they would try and Instill to their children , colleagues and generally the up and coming generation even if they probably didn’t intend to or notice they were doing it  . 

34 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

Different topic altogether but it’s a fascinating topic just how much society has changed since then .

think a lot of it was still down to the country still being relatively recently out of two world wars and also national service only recently abolished. Most men of a certain age at that time were disciplined and Some battle hardened . And this is something they would try and Instill to their children , colleagues and generally the up and coming generation even if they probably didn’t intend to or notice they were doing it  . 

Sorry,Ive went off at a bit of a tangent there, i meant times and attitudes change.What was acceptable in football certainly has. Only 20 years or so ago alex ferguson made headlines when he cut beckhams head with a flying football boot. People laughed at the time, nowadays there would be calls to sack him and his board would probably cave in and do it.

I watched the Walter Smith documentary a fortnight ago and Alex Ferguson told a tale of winding up wee Jim just prior to the Roma 2nd leg where Ferguson had called Roma and left a message for Jim to call a number and speak to Mr Lion. It was the Glasgow Zoo number that Jim called back as that was the number Ferguson gave. 

Wee Jim was mortified and when he told Walter about it he begged Walter not to tell the players. Walter thought it was hilarious and it was told to the players. 

Jim Mclean had plenty of faults (contracts bordering on modern slavery) but the results he got for his team in Europe were truly amazing. 

He also gave Our Walter his start in coaching so for that im grateful. 

I actually watched a you tube video last night about the McLean years....the majority focused on the European runs.....he managed 2 UEFA cup quarter finals two year on the bounce with some thumping victories, 5-0 against Munchen Gladbach after a 2-0 first leg reverse sticks out....funnily enough his UEFA cup runs on paper look more impressive than the European cup run....the 87 run saw them beat Barcelona home and away and Gladbach 2-0 away from home.....it's just inconceivable that those results could ever happen nowadays 

Hard to believe MacLean was a Church of Scotland elder, lol.

Still it was tough being a Rangers fan back then with MacLean and Ferguson around. His players were on the some of the worst wages in the league, but the win bonuses were huge. An all round great, though his man management skills would raise eyebrows today.

1 hour ago, Shuggy said:

He resigned as DUFC chairman after the police got involved. He had some temper.

He was right to belt him, Barnes was told before the interview not to go there and he did, Barnes smart arsed smug reply smacked of BBC arrogance still seen to this day 

Archived