Scottish football clubs urged to apologise for historical child sex abuse

Bad Robot

3 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

He was a celtic employee. Vicarious liability may apply.

Similarly may apply to us which means we must apologise and compensate. 

May - and yes, that's a big reason why we should look to apologise ad compensate. Given Neely is dead there'd be no way they could get 'justice' legally and tbh, given the club's actions at the time in sacking him, it would be silly not to apologise for any harm, compensate and do what they can to help victims moving forward.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ger4life_1872 said:

Could be , I would hope we have or will investigate and try to find out if questions were atleast asked 

absolutely and looking at cases in hindsight these bastards put themselves into jobs with the sole purpose of getting close to children and football coaching along with other jobs such as scout masters, jannys, care staff etc and priests which we all know about 

1 minute ago, Howsitgoing said:

That he was indeed dismissed, if the inquiry had no evidence of such they would have highlighted that. Rangers have a lot to apologise for but unlike that bastardised club we didn’t enable paedophiles to abuse children and when made aware took appropriate actions. 

Nobody's arguing that he wasn't dismissed though, but the narrative that was set afterwards by the club made it look like a parting of ways in an official capacity.

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

celtic (or boys club) - 6 convicted in court of law - 35 mentions

Rangers - zero convictions - 25 mentions

Hibs - knew a paedo existed but informed no one. Jim McCafferty worked for Hibs too. Convicted - 17 mentions

The BBC summary article is an utter disgrace to journalism. 

No surprise here.

Just now, ScottBF2 said:

Nobody's arguing that he wasn't dismissed though, but the narrative that was set afterwards by the club made it look like a parting of ways in an official capacity.

I just think too much is made of that small extract, it wasn’t an official statement. If they dismissed  him then he did something wrong so either they lied on what it was or they made it public. 

Just now, Howsitgoing said:

I just think too much is made of that small extract, it wasn’t an official statement. If they dismissed  him then he did something wrong so either they lied on what it was or they made it public. 

It was a public and official statement in our clubs own media publication. From the outside looking in it seemed like he left to do other things, no mention of his wrongdoings. We might not have been able to publicly shame him due to a lack of legal proceedings but we did not need to aid his coverup.

I think some people are missing the point.

Yes we were commended for acting quickly when we found out ( though had HIBS done their duty we would not have been in that situation.) Yes the article was a mistake.

BUT

The simple fact is a child was harmed under our banner and that wrong must be redressed. 

It may be that due to corporate structures, it has to go to those who insured us at the time and the corporate entity that existed at the time. That however is scemantics. Right must be done by the victims.

19 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

The SFA have tried to steer the attention away from one specific club and make it a country-wide problem. You are doing the exact same thing in this thread.

The article mentions our club first and only their organization as a boys club despite the worldwide knowledge that they ran a paedophile ring. As a blogger, you would think that is what would piss you off.

But carry on slurring the Rangers name until midnight and beyond. Sometimes you are your worst enemy.

It IS a country-wide problem. No amount of pretending otherwise will change that.

I couldn't really give a fuck how the BBC have presented it just now. McLaughlin's article is as laughable as the author.

I'm much more concerned with the content of the review. I'm my own worst enemy by wanting my club to do everything it can to do right by victims of abuse at the club? Utter pish.

4 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Written by Gerry the defence lawyer and on the cover it looks good but as I read it, they apologise for all footballing clubs which includes PT so its a general and not necessarily an individual apology.

Just now, ScottBF2 said:

It was a public and official statement in our clubs own media publication. From the outside looking in it seemed like he left to do other things, no mention of his wrongdoings. We might not have been able to publicly shame him due to a lack of legal proceedings but we did not need to aid his coverup.

They dismissed him immediately, if someone in your work was dismissed immediately you would generally know why. That extract is irrelevant at least it should be. 

Just now, Bad Robot said:

Written by Gerry the defence lawyer and on the cover it looks good but as I read it, they apologise for all footballing clubs which includes PT so its a general and not necessarily an individual apology.

In fairness, the independent report does say that clubs should apologise from their own standpoint and from the wider football family. So I think they're just toeing the party line.

Just now, ScottBF2 said:

In fairness, the independent report does say that clubs should apologise from their own standpoint and from the wider football family. So I think they're just toeing the party line.

cheers and I’ll read the sfa report later when I get the time 

1 minute ago, Bad Robot said:

I think it'll be how most clubs do it rather than saying 'we're sorry to just the ones highlighted that were abused at our club'

Just now, Howsitgoing said:

They dismissed him immediately, if someone in your work was dismissed immediately you would generally know why. That extract is irrelevant at least it should be. 

So you think other coaches knew that Neely did what he did? Why then did another coach say he was going to make the boy's life a living hell? Is that in itself evidence of a wider coverup?

You're just being totally outlandish now. He was sacked and it seems like the club hid the reason for the sacking.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It IS a country-wide problem. No amount of pretending otherwise will change that.

I disagree, it's a worldwide problem. Some societies and some institutions just seem to have a higher prevalence of abuse than others and some have different ways of dealing with it than others and that's what sets them apart imo.

1 minute ago, ScottBF2 said:

So you think other coaches knew that Neely did what he did? Why then did another coach say he was going to make the boy's life a living hell? Is that in itself evidence of a wider coverup?

You're just being totally outlandish now. He was sacked and it seems like the club hid the reason for the sacking.

I think the other coaches didn’t take the allegations seriously but knew about them, that needs investigated. Why did they think an adult wanting to smack a kids bare arse as being something to laugh at needs them to be held to account.

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

celtic (or boys club) - 6 convicted in court of law - 35 mentions

Rangers - zero convictions - 25 mentions

Hibs - knew a paedo existed but informed no one. Jim McCafferty worked for Hibs too. Convicted - 17 mentions

The BBC summary article is an utter disgrace to journalism. 

There are questions re the credibility of Henry and the above numbers say quite a lot:

https://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/article.php?i=148&a=scotland's-lowlife-press

4 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I disagree, it's a worldwide problem. Some societies and some institutions just seem to have a higher prevalence of abuse than others and some have different ways of dealing with it than others and that's what sets them apart imo.

It's a worldwide catholic problem and an isolated incident at our club.

5 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I agree, although the SFA cant investigate outside Scotland. Problem with big orgs is they all tend to go the same way. Very few have a track record of doing the right thing, particularly with historical abuse

12 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

The inquiry states that it seems the other coaches were aware of why he was dismissed. Did he employ these coaches? They need investigated and action taking against them if any can be taking. 

“in turn other coaches at the club appear also to have been informed of D’s dismissal and that this was due to a complaint from a young player.”

1 minute ago, Howsitgoing said:

The inquiry states that it seems the other coaches were aware of why he was dismissed. Did he employ these coaches? They need investigated and action taking against them if any can be taking. 

“in turn other coaches at the club appear also to have been informed of D’s dismissal and that this was due to a complaint from a young player.”

So they were told he was sacked, but not why.

Archived