Is there a weak position in our team?

12 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

We have conceded 11 goals in 34 league games and people are having a go at our LB claiming he cant defend, is suspect and should be sold. 

Very little of those goals lost are from our left back position. 

He has nearly 15 assists this season, would be even higher with some of the chances he has created.

Massive player, key to our success and still extremely underappreciated by some on here. One of the last players I want to leave this summer.

Defence will be kept intact with the exception of Helander more than likely 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Can anyone actually read?

One post suggesting to sell Katic after the Euros BECAUSE HIS  VALUE IS LIKELY TO BE TOP DOLLAR, not because he had a poor game today.

20 posts getting the wrong end of the stick altogether FFS!

I tried to edit that straight away and wasn't allowed to - obviously meant Barisic.

Still can't edit it - have settings changed mods?

Covid jab yesterday and wasn't very well last night sadly :-( 

14 hours ago, Ambrogio said:

Mccrorie has already said he’s Delighted brown is coming it will be brilliant playing alongside him , can’t think of anybody better to learn from . 

Aye canny really come out and say what he thinks really can he?

The "can't think of anyone better to learn from" could be taken that, he will learn exactly what not to do and behave like on the pitch.

Midfield is weak, Jack is injury prone and if one of the other 2 get injured as well we’re pretty fucked. Probably need a box to box type midfielder (who can actually shoot/score goals) and a proper defensive midfielder. Having a proper defensive midfielder would give us the option of playing Aribo/Hagi through the middle but further forward. 

At left back we need a better player than Bassey, Doig would be ideal 

We need a right sided forward, I think Wright is the answer to that and we could have Jones to cover for him and Kent if he can stop being a fanny. I’m a bit concerned Gerrard doesn’t seem to fancy Wright as much as he fancied Barker though 

15 hours ago, Marky. said:

Left back debate isn't necessarily about Borna alone. Although he was caught out a few times today, much of it is because he was left 1v1.

There is a noticeable trend that we concede goals with Aribo in midfield. Again, not to aim criticism at Aribo either, but his defensive covering isn't at the level of Arfield, Kamara, Jack or even Davis.

Usually we aren't left 1v1 at full-back. When Tav/Borna do get forward, they are well covered by one of the midfielders, and can end up doubling up on the attacker. Aribo is much less defensive-minded and as a result, of the incredibly few goals we have conceded, he has been in midfield. More of an intent of attack than pragmatic approach though from our point of view. It's not a big worry for me.

Aribo in midfield is a definite worry for this reason 

Particularly in the Slavia away game, we moved Kamara to the right of the midfield 3 to accommodate Aribo from the start and Aribo gave Borna absolutely no help. As soon as Kamara got moved back into his regular position in that game we were unsurprisingly far better 

16 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Aribo in midfield is a definite worry for this reason 

Particularly in the Slavia away game, we moved Kamara to the right of the midfield 3 to accommodate Aribo from the start and Aribo gave Borna absolutely no help. As soon as Kamara got moved back into his regular position in that game we were unsurprisingly far better 

We haven't dominated games like we did earlier in the season since Jack has been out, and haven't protected full backs as well either.

Another player of his type is an absolute priority, and we need an upgrade on an Arfield type that can break from midfield with forward runs and get goals.

Definitely there are weak positions. We might be the greatest club in the world but we are perhaps not the best world 11 currently! We should be striving to improve in all the positions as we should never rest on our laurels. We must always try to stay ahead but welcome the chase. Priority is the midfield slots. We have decent players sure but fitness and age is catching up and some are less effective in wider positions than others. With an eye on the champions league I also wonder about some of our more established positions...ie does Helander’s ability to read the game make up for his lack of pace against CL opponents. 

3 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

Definitely there are weak positions. We might be the greatest club in the world but we are perhaps not the best world 11 currently! We should be striving to improve in all the positions as we should never rest on our laurels. We must always try to stay ahead but welcome the chase. Priority is the midfield slots. We have decent players sure but fitness and age is catching up and some are less effective in wider positions than others. With an eye on the champions league I also wonder about some of our more established positions...ie does Helander’s ability to read the game make up for his lack of pace against CL opponents. 

We should be striving to improve in all the positions.

Spot on , something we should always be doing , no one is bigger than this club.........

Reckon we will need to replace Defoe  with Roofe fitness problems, Itten  no really firing and I hope Buff stays but canny bank on it.  Surely need another.

Could do with a CDM IMO as well, no just the lad we got coming in from Bournemouth. 

We got a decent squad these days quality over quantity for me.

It depends on who leaves.

But if everyone stays, we need a backup left back who pushes Borna, a defensive central midfielder and a proper number 10 to link middle to front.

14 minutes ago, The Beast said:

It depends on who leaves.

But if everyone stays, we need a backup left back who pushes Borna, a defensive central midfielder and a proper number 10 to link middle to front.

Do people have a change of heart when it comes to Bassey as a back-up to Barisic? Because I have read that a few times on this thread.

Only a few months ago he was a great prospect.

RM is fickle sometimes. 

16 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Do people have a change of heart when it comes to Bassey as a back-up to Barisic? Because I have read that a few times on this thread.

Only a few months ago he was a great prospect.

RM is fickle sometimes. 

Mine came during the St Mirren cup game, where he was gash. That's when my opinion changed! Yep, it's only one game, but his gashness was very apparent that night! 

Next time he plays, I hope he plays a blinder and shuts me up.

1 minute ago, LegendofCoop said:

Mine came during the St Mirren cup game, where he was gash. That's when my opinion changed! Yep, it's only one game, but his gashness was very apparent that night! 

Next time he plays, I hope he plays a blinder and shuts me up.

I suppose that game was the nail for Zungu as well in many peoples thinking.

No real obvious weak links in our first 11, next season I think we will see some improvements in certain players I.e more consistency.

Our squad is brimming with quality it's important we keep the core of this title winning team together for the champions league, obviously if a decent offer comes in for either Kamara or Barisic I'd be tempted but hopefully we can keep all our stand out players.

On 11/04/2021 at 20:50, BridgeIsBlue said:

Best crosser of a ball since Neil McCann yet we should sell him because he was poor defensively today :lol:

It's not even that Martin Boyle's one of the fastest players in the league and Borna was given next to no help from the midfield to deal with him of course he struggled. 

I do wonder how we plan to replace Morelos. Are we going to bring in a project and start to shift focus to Roofe/Itten up top?

Or, will we look for something similar. Only based on a few appearences but I really liked that Striker Midtjylland had against us. Kaba I think his name was. Whether or not he would be attainable is another question.

Archived