Alexey Mykhaylychenko

Ukrainian

9 hours ago, Ukrainian said:

Hi there
Found old big Alexey Mykhaylychenko interview (2010 year) for Ukrainian media.
Here is part of it about his time in Rangers (my translation): 

- UEFA Euro-1992, last game in the group against Scotland. Oleg Kuznetsov told us: “We couldn't make a deal with Scots, because we didn't speak English very well. But I talked to my Rangers teammates an hour and a half before the game and the verb "help" sounded in the talk".

- I don't know about him, he might asked "help" but I never did it. We arrived at the stadium an hour and a half before the game, went out and talked to Rangers teammates. That is true. Scots have real British character. Even if they need nothing, it doesn't mean they'll not fight. All talks about "help" are nonsense. How could we get a deal an hour and a half before the game? Absurd. This is crazy. If you need something, you try to get in two or three days before the game. Do you know what's the funniest? Some people in Moscow babbled that I sold that game. Can you believe this? But they talked about that very confidentially. And I am sure there were people who believed it.

- Also Oleg Kuznetsov said that Scots spent all night at night club...

- Probably they didn't spend a day before the game very responsibly, but they definitely weren't hangover. Scots are professionals. I played for  Rangers five years and I know their mentality. Yes, they can spend a time in a restaurant with friends, have a drink, but there is a certain lines when they stop to drink. For example, if there is a game on Saturday, the last day you can have a drink is Tuesday.

- So what happened in that game against Scotland?

- It was an accident.

- Was it your idea to leave Sampdoria and go to Glasgow?

- Rangers manager Graeme Souness watched me for two years since Euro-88. But honestly, I met that news without enthusiasm: Scottish championship was modest and didn't look attractive. As well as stereotype about the country: rain and cold all year around.

- What did you feel when moved to Rangers?

- I didn't think a lot about the weather and climate of Britain. Well, this is not sunny Italy, not Genoa with sea, but the atmosphere I got there left unforgettable and best memories. Also I was moving to a big club. At that time Glasgow Rangers was among the best clubs of Europe. It was elite club.

- Was it difficult to get used to life in Scotland after Italy?

- No, because Oleg Kuznetsov was there already. Two families, children - it was way easier. Atmosphere inside the team was friendly. Italians are noisier and more meticulous than Scots.

- Did you speak English?

- Ha-ha, I don't speak English even now... In 1996, when I decided to finish my career, Rangers manager Walter Smith offered me a job as a coach of Rangers second team, but I refused. I didn't speak English good enough to work for Rangers, so I came back to Ukraine...

If it's interesting I can translate rest part of interview about his Rangers time.

You should have just said Miko.

Seem to recall maybe once when we tried playing him more centrally. 

Always seemed like a guy that was never quite suited to us or to Scottish football but was a talented player who managed to contribute quite a bit despite that.

Had an on and off field personality that was easy to like as well.

Miko: There is absolutely different football and football's philosophy in Scotland, not same as we have. I saw how Rangers academy works. What to say. We spend more time with ball, four square, one touch. But they just play primitive long-ball, corner kicks and absolutely nothing more!

- Everyone knows about Gascoigne jokes. Did you see any?

- Oh, you have to keep your eyes peeled when Gascoigne is close! There was one striker, who played for Scotland national team later - Gordon Durie. Once upon a time Paul arrived for training from a fishing trip... Usually we parked our vehicles, and give the keys to a person who could drive car to another place. It was May, sunny days, about plus 20C. Durie had been driving for next three days and couldn't understand why it's so stinky inside. He just opened all windows. Only after three days he got it was fish inside of trunk. It was too late to clean it so he sent a car to recycle depot.

- If Gascoigne was kidding over you?

- Of course. I can tell you one. How did we take a shower in USSR? You take a bottle of shampoo and go to bath. In Scotland, they didn't take shampoo's bottle but applied some of it to head in the dressing room before the shower. So I am washing in the shower and hear laughing behind me. I had one liter bottle of shampoo, and it was full. I turned and saw how Gascoigne pours it all over himself, squeezing out the last drops. He was satisfied. Laughing! So I brought him a big two-liters bottle next day.

- Who were masterminds before Gascoigne came?

- Ally McCoist and Ian Durrant. They are absolutely restless guys. You will never get bored with them.

- Is Old Firm Derby really special?

- Yes. I think this is the most emotional derby in the world. The main reason is religion: Rangers FC was founded by Presbyterians and originally it was Protestant club. celtic FC was founded by Irish Catholics to help Irish immigrants in Glasgow. Protestants against Catholics. Every game is sold out. The game dates are always tailored for the holidays. One of the games must be played on New Year's Eve. I remember one of these New Year's games very well. We beat celtic 4:2. I scored two goals, and one more by Oleg Kuznetsov. So after that game nobody touched us for a week. They said: “You can do whatever you want. Drink, have fun. You deserve it!"

- Do you keep in touch with anyone from Rangers?

- No, not really.