CoplandRoad83

Have played their best football for us already (some examples below):

McGregor

Tav

Goldson

Borna

Davis

Morelos

We can either accept this after today and use this as a springboard to inject some new energy and talent into the team, or persist with players on past reputation and watch us continue to underachieve.

I hope Gio is bold enough to make some big decisions.  Ferguson was the master at this with Man Utd, sensing when players had peaked and needed moved on, and when other players had to come through.

This group stopped the ten, but we need a new direction to kick on. 

I'm excluding Ryan Jack from this as he could be like a new player, but generally this core group has come to the end of its cycle.

1 minute ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

Have played their best football for us already (some examples below):

McGregor

Tav

Goldson

Borna

Davis

Morelos

We can either accept this after today and use this as a springboard to inject some new energy and talent into the team, or persist with players on past reputation and watch us continue to underachieve.

I hope Gio is bold enough to make some big decisions. 

This group stopped the ten, but we need a new direction to kick on. 

I'm excluding Ryan Jack from this as he could be like a new player, but generally this core group has come to the end of its cycle.

For his own sake he has to be.

If he tries to rely on these "stalwarts" he will fail miserably.

I'm not going to say Tav is finished, he definitely needs dropped and let Nathan have a run, but I can see him still performing well at some point in the future. I also don't think Davis is finished (despite his age), but off-form. 

However, I do think McGregor is done, and Goldson, Borna and Morelos are done too 

Yup need a new spine for the team

We may not see anything drastic until he has 1 or 2 windows behind him though which is the worry for me. 

Right away i would make the following changes

Mccrorie for mcgregor

Paterson for tav

Bassey for borna

Jack or kelly for davis

Roofe (until we sign someone else) for morelos

We are just fucked in general at cb currently 

Just now, BigBearButt said:

We may not see anything drastic until he has 1 or 2 windows behind him though which is the worry for me. 

Mccrorie for mcgregor

Paterson for tav

Bassey for borna

Jack or kelly for davis

Can say what you like but Gio won't get 1 or 2 windows if the taigs with Ange in charge go on to win 1/2 trophies this season, simply won't happen

He's here to make an instant impact, if not we'd have been better appointing an interim till the summer and giving him the full pre season 

1 minute ago, GA1972 said:

McGregor I wouldn’t quite put in the same bracket as the rest 

But the others need chucked at the earliest opportunity 

I'm not saying he is completely done, but he is showing signs of fading and I'm not sure we've been brave or bold enough to do anything about it. I get the sense we just continually hope our previous best players will turn up for us. And this is not just based on todays selection.

1 minute ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

I'm not saying he is completely done, but he is showing signs of fading and I'm not sure we've been brave or bold enough to do anything about it. I get the sense we just continually hope our previous best players will turn up for us. And this is not just based on todays selection.

He is completely done. A goal keeper that cant play every match is done. 

1 minute ago, BigBearButt said:

Mccrorie for mcgregor

Paterson for tav

Bassey for borna

Jack or kelly for davis

We are just fucked in general at cb currently 

I agree with most of the above but there's no answer to the CH problem other than recall Katic. Goldson, Balogun and Simpson are far from meeting the required standard and Bassey can provide cover but is never a first pick CH.

Another fucking legacy from that Scouse rat along with his over coaching and one dimensional tactics that this team can't do anything else besides.

2 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Can say what you like but Gio won't get 1 or 2 windows if the taigs with Ange in charge go on to win 1/2 trophies this season, simply won't happen

He's here to make an instant impact, if not we'd have been better appointing an interim till the summer and giving him the full pre season 

That could still happen persisting with players who have lost desire and are past their peak.

I hope he can quickly work out what the starting 11 needs in terms of hunger, talent and attitude with the squad we have available.

13 minutes ago, Broxi said:

I'm not going to say Tav is finished, he definitely needs dropped and let Nathan have a run, but I can see him still performing well at some point in the future. I also don't think Davis is finished (despite his age), but off-form. 

However, I do think McGregor is done, and Goldson, Borna and Morelos are done too 

You don’t think Davis is finished :lol: 

Fuck sake.

11 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Tav could be on a decline tho, and we have someone with immense talent on the way up with all the hunger in the world. We need to make big decisions for our future, I haven't seen it so far but hope Gio comes in and acts bold when needed.

14 minutes ago, The Beast said:

McGregor's standards have dropped significantly from last season. Its just one season too far.

McGregor looks like he can hardly move these days. I'm sure he knows it himself that it's time to hang up the gloves. 

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

That is not how you approach a cup-tie. Our core players don't have the bottle.

So difficult to argue with this when you see how they started this game.

They should be desperate for trophies for their own legacy and come flying out the blocks.

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

You don’t think Davis is finished :lol: 

Fuck sake.

I'm not saying he's playing well, I said he's not. But I think it's more likely that Davis plays well next week than it is that McGregor, Goldson, Borna or Morelos do. 

We absolutely need to still be replacing him though, we shouldn't be going into next season with Davis in the team. 

20 minutes ago, RoboBear said:

The problem is how much would we get for them. Not only have their best playing days gone, their best resale vallue is also gone.

said that the other day  2 yrs ago we would have got good money for barisic and morelos  now we would get peanuts

Just now, Broxi said:

I'm not saying he's playing well, I said he's not. But I think it's more likely that Davis plays well next week than it is that McGregor, Goldson, Borna or Morelos do. 

We absolutely need to still be replacing him though, we shouldn't be going into next season with Davis in the team. 

He’s been absolutely dreadful this season.

He should have been replaced last season but we brought in Lundstram. 

Him and Tav picking that team today is an utter embarrassment for a team of our size.

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Him and Tav picking that team today is an utter embarrassment for a team of our size.

Did Davis & Tav pick the team?

4 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

There are far too many sentimental folk on these forums that still believe these players are like back in their prime.

I got tore to shreds at the tail end of last season for suggesting that we didnt renew any of the older players contracts (including Arfield). Yet here we are none of them have proved good business and value for money. At the very least you want them to be showing leadership to the rest but we arent even getting that from them. Im sorry I dont see anyone (maybe ryan jack) actually fucking getting players telt to get their fingers out their arses during games. We need a proper captain like Ferguson rallying and fucking moaning at them when they are playing shite.

4 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

There are far too many sentimental folk on these forums that still believe these players are like back in their prime.

I got tore to shreds at the tail end of last season for suggesting that we didnt renew any of the older players contracts (including Arfield). Yet here we are none of them have proved good business and value for money. At the very least you want them to be showing leadership to the rest but we arent even getting that from them. Im sorry I dont see anyone (maybe ryan jack) actually fucking getting players telt to get their fingers out their arses during games. We need a proper captain like Ferguson rallying and fucking moaning at them when they are playing shite.

A fit Ryan Jack is the closest thing we have to a proper leader on the park. Tav has led by example because his performances have been so high in the past, but in truth I think we know he's not really that type of player.