Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

3 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

But the point is, we rarely dominate games away from home which leaves you susceptible to things outwith your control. 

We have wage bills 10-20x higher than 10 other teams in Scotland. Yesterdays game should be done after 70 minutes, instead we struggle to a 1 goal lead and anything can happen. 

That wage bill stat is a nonsense though.

So you think we should win every single game then because of our wage bill? Or accept second because celtic have a higher wage bill?

Lille beat psg to the league the other year I know who’s got the higher wage bill. Same goes for Man Utd and Everton.

As you said we were leading the game before the sendings off so what was the issue?

3 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

So you think we should win every single game then because of our wage bill? Or accept second because celtic have a higher wage bill?

Lille beat psg to the league the other year I know who’s got the higher wage bill. Same goes for Man Utd and Everton.

As you said we were leading the game before the sendings off so what was the issue?

Agree with this 

21 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

I just want to reiterate that Gio has picked up more points per game against the other 10 clubs in the league than Postecoglu has. Over those 34 games it's extremely marginal but we're in good hands. 

Better buck up his ideas against the scum big time then

24 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

It’s not nonsense though. There will always be exceptions, but one of the biggest relationships in football is the correlation between wage bill and finishing position.

Also, we have a bigger wage bill than celtic 👍

If you are only 1 goal ahead in games you leave yourself susceptible to things outwith your control, a refereeing decision, a set piece, a screamer. These games should, in the main, be put to bed by half time or early in the second half. Hibs will finish in the bottom 6 this season but we approach it like a European away tie. It’s baffling and Gio won’t see Christmas in Glasgow if it continues 

Just now, eskbankloyal said:

It’s not nonsense though. There will always be exceptions, but one of the biggest relationships in football is the correlation between wage bill and finishing position.

If you are only 1 goal ahead in games you leave yourself susceptible to things outwith your control, a refereeing decision, a set piece, a screamer. These games should, in the main, be put to bed by half time or early in the second half. Hibs will finish in the bottom 6 this season but we approach it like a European away tie. It’s baffling and Gio won’t see Christmas in Glasgow if it continues 

Well you’ve confirmed it yourself then we went down to 9 men so yesterday was an exception 

8 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Fair play to missing the entire point of my post

Not really just don’t agree with you that we should be at least 2 goals up against every team in the league at 60 mins apart from celtic due to our wage bill 

2 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

No issue with the performance up until the red cards but tactics with 9 were ridiculous, needed some form of outball/someone to chase 

Before any red card we only had the penalty and header on target.  That just isn't good enough.  I agree with the outball comment.   We should have set up either 4 3 1 or 5 2 1 .  If we had done that we probably prevent the late equaliser.   Instead we had 5 3 0 and the guy got time to set up the hit at the end 

21 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

I

Wow, didn't know that.

Is that purely wages or has it also included bonuses for the league win season or for euro campaigns?

What's the comparative figures and period?

12 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

No issue with the performance up until the red cards but tactics with 9 were ridiculous, needed some form of outball/someone to chase 

Thought we were really pretty turgid 1st half and allowed it to become scrappy rather than us playing football. Unsurprising when too many were anonymous or rotten including Jack, Matondo and Lawrence.

18 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Wow, didn't know that.

Is that purely wages or has it also included bonuses for the league win season or for euro campaigns?

What's the comparative figures and period?

I mentioned similar to Jim that our wages were getting closer to theirs but I didn't think we had reached them yet. Knew it would be close. Be interesting to see official figures.

Think there was a £7m gap between us heading into last summer. 

18 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I mentioned similar to Jim that our wages were getting closer to theirs but I didn't think we had reached them yet. Knew it would be close. Be interesting to see official figures.

Think there was a £7m gap between us heading into last summer. 

Yeah, thought they carried more numbers than us too so was pretty surprised read that we'd overtaken them on salary.

Is Gio being backed properly by the board. Our spend so far is in the region of 12million. Theirs since Ange arrived its 40 million and rising. We would need to add all our signings since Gerrard arrived to get close to their outlay in the last three windows.

Most of the players who have arrived have yet to get enough minutes on the park either by arriving short of fitness or picking up knocks. Tillman looks decent and him and Lawrence look like they will contribute. Colak is scoring but needs service. For me that's it, only time will tell for the rest. I can't believe that we still haven't signed a proper box to box midfielder who can carry the ball forward with some intent. We also still have players hanging around who don't look fully invested in the team. Kent and Kamara for me are the biggest culprits. Kent yesterday was once again below average and Kamara didn't even make the bench. Before the window closes we need a few out the door and at least a midfielder and a striker coming in.

2 minutes ago, steven33jackie said:

Is Gio being backed properly by the board. Our spend so far is in the region of 12million. Theirs since Ange arrived its 40 million and rising. We would need to add all our signings since Gerrard arrived to get close to their outlay in the last three windows.

Most of the players who have arrived have yet to get enough minutes on the park either by arriving short of fitness or picking up knocks. Tillman looks decent and him and Lawrence look like they will contribute. Colak is scoring but needs service. For me that's it, only time will tell for the rest. I can't believe that we still haven't signed a proper box to box midfielder who can carry the ball forward with some intent. We also still have players hanging around who don't look fully invested in the team. Kent and Kamara for me are the biggest culprits. Kent yesterday was once again below average and Kamara didn't even make the bench. Before the window closes we need a few out the door and at least a midfielder and a striker coming in.

for the money thats been brought in, player sales, europa, Gerard money etc. i don't think he's been backed properly. Yes weve had free players on big wages but IMO we need more quality and he hasnt been backed in that department. if the board want the lg and champions lg then they have to back him 

1 hour ago, The Specky Liar said:

Bang on, either keep Kent on or swap him for Sakala or Wright, someone with pace. All they would have needed to do is hold the ball up and get some fouls. We could have been OK with 4 at the back, with the 3 in front of them.  Big fan of Gio, but imo he got that wrong. 

16 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

for the money thats been brought in, player sales, europa, Gerard money etc. i don't think he's been backed properly. Yes weve had free players on big wages but IMO we need more quality and he hasnt been backed in that department. if the board want the lg and champions lg then they have to back him 

That's exactly my thoughts. Our best attacking option through the middle has been Tillman who last season played mainly for the Bayern B team. Do they really think that's enough to arm the manager to win a league and make the champions League.

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Since Gio took over he has 68 points in 26 league games. That works out at 2.62 points per game.

Fatty has 2.65 points per game.

Scum have got 72 in the same period since Gio became manager with another game to play today. Thats 2.88 points per game.

You're practically using the scums worst start to a season to hype up Gios points return, when the circumstances that both arrived were completely different. 

Gio has 1 point from 9 in games vs them in the league which is hugely important.

Since Gio has been manager hes took 10 points less than them(will be 13 after today) whilst they were contempt with 2 draws vs us and DU late on last season.

So I would argue league wise we've not exactly in good hands and if that form continues it will certainly be them as champions.

It's actually 69 points for them against the rest since Gio came which is 2.76 but apples and pears really compared with the 72/2.88.

We can pick and choose what periods we want to and don't want to include. We could trade off postecoglu's first 6 games (not including Ibrox of course) when they picked up 10 points in 6 with Gio's 7 games after the winter break (not including parkhead) with 13 points in 7.

Going by that and leaving out both managers worst spell we'd have Gio picking up 55 in 19 (2.89) and postecoglu 85 in 31 (2.74).

The games against them and the 1 in 9 really did kill us. Though the semi and the game at parkhead showed a lot of improvement whether you view the latter as canon or not. 

A lot of that point difference comes from the head to head as well though. Turn those two defeats against them into draws and we win the league.

Gio will have a stigma in the league because of how things turned last season combined with how much they did pick up. Be silly to have my head that much in the sand but I just dont things are that bad as some of the reaction yesterday and this morning has provided.

In about 6/7 weeks I may think differently but I hope not!

18 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

It's actually 69 points for them against the rest since Gio came which is 2.76 but apples and pears really compared with the 72/2.88.

We can pick and choose what periods we want to and don't want to include. We could trade off postecoglu's first 6 games (not including Ibrox of course) when they picked up 10 points in 6 with Gio's 7 games after the winter break (not including parkhead) with 13 points in 7.

Going by that and leaving out both managers worst spell we'd have Gio picking up 55 in 19 (2.89) and postecoglu 85 in 31 (2.74).

The games against them and the 1 in 9 really did kill us. Though the semi and the game at parkhead showed a lot of improvement whether you view the latter as canon or not. 

A lot of that point difference comes from the head to head as well though. Turn those two defeats against them into draws and we win the league.

Gio will have a stigma in the league because of how things turned last season combined with how much they did pick up. Be silly to have my head that much in the sand but I just dont things are that bad as some of the reaction yesterday and this morning has provided.

In about 6/7 weeks I may think differently but I hope not!

On current form we will be 5 points behind after the game at Parkhead.

34 minutes ago, ayrshireranger said:

Bang on, either keep Kent on or swap him for Sakala or Wright, someone with pace. All they would have needed to do is hold the ball up and get some fouls. We could have been OK with 4 at the back, with the 3 in front of them.  Big fan of Gio, but imo he got that wrong. 

We had a 5-3 formation which should have been either a 4-3-1 or a 5-2-1.   Probably putting Sakala on for any out ball and to close down anyone on the edge of the box (eg the guy who scored).   I wouldn't use Wright as he has the heart of a mouse and is tactically clueless.