Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

10 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Fair enough why I said Dyche wouldn't be my first choice. 

I'd go for Knutsen. As he's been able to do well domestically and in Europe. 

Who would you go for if gio is sacked? 

Tough call.

I genuinely don't know. Knutsen would be a risk although I like the way he tries to play.

I don't think we'll be as stacked with a long list of top candidates if Gio goes than many seem to think.

For me it has to be someone who can achieve success both domestically and in European football and they're hard to find. I'm a bit of a football purist, couldn't take to an attritional type manager at all and can't see why we can't have success as a club aiming to play exciting attractive football.

So whoever it is needs to have a good modern way of playing although I don't mind room for changing the game plan depending on who we're facing.

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Tough call.

I genuinely don't know. Knutsen would be a risk although I like the way he tries to play.

I don't think we'll be as stacked with a long list of top candidates if Gio goes than many seem to think.

For me it has to be someone who can achieve success both domestically and in European football and they're hard to find. I'm a bit of a football purist, couldn't take to an attritional type manager at all and can't see why we can't have success as a club aiming to play exciting attractive football.

So whoever it is needs to have a good modern way of playing although I don't mind room for changing the game plan depending on who we're facing.

This is why I’d go for Rebrov.

Plays good football, is a proven winner in different leagues/countries and has overachieved in Europe.

8 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

They wouldn't be unbeaten if gerrard was here though. And old firm defeats can be hugely damaging to confidence in other games. If gio continues to lose to celtic we are screwed obviously.

Pish, gerrard was on a downward slope, he knew it hence why he fucked off

Oh and as for hugely damaging to confidence, how did the tarriers react when we beat them at parkhead 3 months before the covid shutdown, remember we went into the winter break 2pts behind and a home game in hand, 

By march the tarriers had won every game iirc, were 13pts clear of us and literally about to rock up to ibrox and bitch slap that squad of spinless shitebags, 

Thats some damaged confidence right enough

25 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Oh and as for hugely damaging to confidence, how did the tarriers react when we beat them at parkhead 3 months before the covid shutdown, remember we went into the winter break 2pts behind and a home game in hand, 

By march the tarriers had won every game iirc, were 13pts clear of us and literally about to rock up to ibrox and bitch slap that squad of spinless shitebags, 

All that with Neil fucking Lennon in charge.

An appointment the whole support was cheering, and even Rangers posted on Twitter celebrating. 

27 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Aye nae bother the old firm form would of made a 180 flip even with gerrard

15 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Surprised that no one has took a shot at Knutsen myself. He is currently being linked with Brighton and Bournemouth jobs. Had two really successful season before this one with 2 leagues and a QF in the europa conference. This season might have been one to many league wise for him. 

I don't think the middle East thing would put the board off Rebrov. As you said he's got a better cv than Pedro including previous work in European football. 

Dyche wouldn't be my first choice. Reading up on him but it's not all ultra defensive football. He plays a throwback going 442. Considering how Scottish football can be at times could we really say that formation wouldn't work well here. 

If worst come to worst and gio is sacked. Who would you make a move for? 

If I could go get anyone it would be De Zerbi albeit unrealistic as most likely will be going to Brighton.

Stankovic did really well at Red Star Belgrade and available, dominated with them domestically and did well in Europe.

I wanted Tedesco before we go Gio and he’s back out of work after Leipzig. Got them CL football and won the Pokal cup albeit really poor start this season.

I can’t help but think this board will give us some no mark who’s bounced about the English Championship as a replacement hence why I’d be more inclined to keep Gio. That being said I think this squad have chucked it and he will be gone before World Cup as I don’t think the board will act as quick as most would like.

5 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

If I could go get anyone it would be De Zerbi albeit unrealistic as most likely will be going to Brighton.

Stankovic did really well at Red Star Belgrade and available, dominated with them domestically and did well in Europe.

I wanted Tedesco before we go Gio and he’s back out of work after Leipzig. Got them CL football and won the Pokal cup albeit really poor start this season.

I can’t help but think this board will give us some no mark who’s bounced about the English Championship as a replacement hence why I’d be more inclined to keep Gio. That being said I think this squad have chucked it and will be gone before World Cup as I don’t think the board will act as quick as most will like.

Just having a read about Stankovic and yeah good shout. 3 straight league titles including an unbeaten league season. 

Just know if they go down the bouncing around English Championship route Scott Parker name will come up. 

I think gio going is inevitable as you said players have chucked it. Board but will drag it out. 

Side note. FC Copenhagen are in a very similar situation to ourselves. They have lost their last 3 games in the league (lost 5 out of 9)... got spanked at Dortmund - a game where they werent even getting near them. They are looking slow, lethargic and their play is littered with individual mistakes. They show glimpses of what they can do.. Their manager, however, is very honest and doesnt hold back in his interviews. 

All sounds very familiar..

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Read these words from Katic. If he's thinking this way, and he's not wrong btw, then I'd wager that there is plenty confusion and frustration at the situation in the current dressing room.  

Not saying Katic (or Balogun for that matter) would have solved the longer term issue, but he's right about the goals we're losing from set pieces right now. 20220913_115924.thumb.jpg.838a3d1de4dce19b7f38025726834552.jpg

Difficult to argue with that. 

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Read these words from Katic. If he's thinking this way, and he's not wrong btw, then I'd wager that there is plenty confusion and frustration at the situation in the current dressing room.  

Not saying Katic (or Balogun for that matter) would have solved the longer term issue, but he's right about the goals we're losing from set pieces right now. 20220913_115924.thumb.jpg.838a3d1de4dce19b7f38025726834552.jpg

Katic on a different planet if he thinks he was good enough for us. Did he really think his spell before his injury and average spell back in Croatia merited him staying?

We all knew Katic time was done, all apart from himself by looks of it.

Just now, Smell the hotdog said:

Katic on a different planet if he thinks he was good enough for us. Did he really think his spell before his injury and average spell back in Croatia was good enough?

We all knew Katic time was done, all apart from himself by looks of it.

Plenty chat now about his ability on the Katic thread.

I do though get the feeling that he'll not have been the only one in the dressing room thinking wtaf about aspects of Gios management and decision making.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Plenty chat now about his ability on the Katic thread.

I do though get the feeling that he'll not have been the only one in the dressing room thinking wtaf about aspects of Gios management and decision making.

Surely he didn’t need Gio to tell him that he was surplus to requirements, was fairly obvious given his performances and number of players in his position.

Did Gio not mention in a press conference he’d spoken with Katic and he will be playing elsewhere? Possibly after the conversation Katic refers to.

Unfortunately signs point to what you’re saying as true given past two performances but wouldn’t be reading too much into Katic words personally. Went without saying he’d be looking for a new club.

19 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Think Boyd makes a fair point regarding Gio not having much of a say in terms of recruitment and the fact there’s no Dutch players speaks volumes on that front, but the structure is not going to change. 

If that’s the case then there needs to be more scrutiny made of Wilson’s poor recruitment. He gets some criticism online, but nowhere near as much as Gio does. 

Also with regards to Gio, i’m not saying we shouldn’t change coaches because there aren’t any obvious alternatives, but the lack of an obvious  or outstanding alternative would make me wary, especially when it would be the board and Wilson overseeing that recruitment process.

I understand it when clubs headhunt somebody because it gives off a level of conviction in terms of them knowing who they want to appoint, in the way that Chelsea did with Potter, Villa did when they came for Gerrard and we did when we appointed Gio, but when you start getting he whole inviting applicants thing, I feel it gives off a massive stumbling about in the dark vibe.  

3 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

If that’s the case then there needs to be more scrutiny made of Wilson’s poor recruitment. He gets some criticism online, but nowhere near as much as Gio does. 

How do you put that scrutiny across though? Gio is the man doing the press conferences and standing on the touchline in games. Ross Wilson is nowhere to be seen unless a signing has been made or we have been successful