Colak

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

He touched the ball 9 times against Livi. 

made 3 successful passes and not one single tackle  

In his first competitive game for his new boss and team mates that’s shameful 

he doesn’t need time he needs proper coaching  here’s hoping he listens and acts   

Also scored a goal which was wrongly ruled out for offside.

8 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

If he played for the filth he'd score 15-20+ goals this season. Their chance creation metrics are significantly higher than ours

That's a shocking indictment on our creative players

Their forwards do a lot more work and are a lot more mobile than I’ve seen of this guy so far. 

Also, I posted it last night, but he was playing on the shoulder and he kept asking Goldson + Sands to play it in behind for him and when they passed it about at the back he threw his hands up so even he was getting frustrated by our defence + midfield. 

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Giakoumakis doesn't? Literally plays the exact same style. 

Giakoumakis gets involved in link up play and can hold the ball up I haven’t seen any of that from Colak yet, hopefully he improves and grows into our system as it’s early days, he’ll no doubt be useful for home games against the cannon fodder in the SPL but he’ll need to improve big time to be an option in Euro games and tougher SPL away games. 

21 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

If he played for the filth he'd score 15-20+ goals this season. Their chance creation metrics are significantly higher than ours

That's a shocking indictment on our creative players

Agree with this for the most part, watched them at the weekend and they look like they’ve started off similar to the second half of the season they play much faster and even though they won 2-0 there were another 5 or so good chances and lots of shots on goal, it’s no surprise they have multiple players that will all comfortably hit double figure and above again.

We basically passed along the back line all game then rely on one full back or winger to pull something out of a hat and see if anything drops in form it.

9 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Giakoumakis gets involved in link up play and can hold the ball up I haven’t seen any of that from Colak yet, hopefully he improves and grows into our system as it’s early days, he’ll no doubt be useful for home games against the cannon fodder in the SPL but he’ll need to improve big time to be an option in Euro games and tougher SPL away games. 

He hasn’t done it much but he has done well linking up when he’s had the opportunity.

im going to play devils advocate here but while I do agree Colak could get into it a bit more the biggest difference for the Greek striker is he has players all around him trying to attack, link up and make moves.

Behind Colak there’s a gaping hole then about 6 players all in two lines around Goldson taking turns doing Rondo drills. 

13 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Fucking hell

I know. But if we are playing a system that needs a battering ram forward then having that sort of player as a backup wouldn't be the worst idea imho and to be fair the big lad ran our defence ragged a few times on Saturday.

We don't need to necessarily play Colak in a two we just need to get bodies and movement around him. From the limited I've seen from him he stays between the posts, doesn't come deep but does make angles to make spaces for others.

The second half against Livi when we had Tav and Borna high, Lawrence and Tillman just in behind him moving around and eventually Arfield doing similar it worked a treat.

We were way too disjointed last night for anything like that to happen. I certainly think Colak will work and will score goals but it's all about using players strengths and hiding their weaknesses. This is something I think Gio will sort with Colak and the other signings.

14 hours ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Need to look at Ross Wilson IMO. He's signed him after Malmo last season. Gio wasn't here to see him. 

Bad choice of signing if we're not changing our front 3 tactically. 

On this point & his apparent preference for being part of a pair:

Did Malmo retain 2 up top when he did the damage against us, bearing in mind they were down to 10 men at the time?

2 minutes ago, RoboBearToo said:

I notice they played 3 5 2 last night. I don't know why most teams have discarded this formation. 

The wing backs can get forward without leaving too much of a risk at the back, there's two in the box to aim for and a solid midfield.

The players they had were not scared to take on a man and beat the block we were. Wright did it with ease when he came on and Tillman did it for twenty minutes and that was it.

We showed them too much respect I thought they looked a pretty average side who just hit on the break.

19 minutes ago, HG5 said:

On this point & his apparent preference for being part of a pair:

Did Malmo retain 2 up top when he did the damage against us, bearing in mind they were down to 10 men at the time?

Yeah, their lineup had Berget up top with Colak. They took Birmančević off for Rakip (mid for mid) on 75 min and then Berget off for a defender in the 83rd min.

3 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Yeah, their lineup had Berget up top with Colak. They took Birmančević off for Rakip (mid for mid) on 75 min and then Berget off for a defender in the 83rd min.

They retain that shape after the dismissal?

35 minutes ago, RoboBearToo said:

I notice they played 3 5 2 last night. I don't know why most teams have discarded this formation. 

The wing backs can get forward without leaving too much of a risk at the back, there's two in the box to aim for and a solid midfield.

I thought this may be where we were heading for this season formation wise with Lawrence / Tillman being the no 10 in the midfield 3 but the problems with that formation for us is:

- Alfie hasn’t ever really worked as a 2

- Where do we play Kent

- The Matondo signing doesn’t really seem to make sense as it is the same problem as Kent

Only hope is that the intention is to be flexible between both 433 and 352 formations (Matondo doesn’t play when we are playing 352) and maybe Kent playing through the middle off Alfie might work?