John "Bomber" Brown

falkirkNS

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

1995 McKinley got his first cap iirc. Brown was just getting ready to retire at that point. 

I was very young but my recollection of McKinlay is that for Scotland (1997-98) played more as a left midfielder rather than as a defender. 

Brown tended to play a 3-5-2 with either a central midfielder or an attacker as one of the wide players and a defender as a midfielder on the other side :lol: 

5 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Was listening to Craig Brown recently and as much as he’s boring with his stats he said Leighton kept about 36 clean sheets for Scotland which is pretty remarkable.

Probably helped he had Miller and McLeish in front of him for a lot of those games. 

5 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Was listening to Craig Brown recently and as much as he’s boring with his stats he said Leighton kept about 36 clean sheets for Scotland which is pretty remarkable.

He was a good goalie, and that is a hell of a stat. It says a lot for the defensive group Scotland had at the time as well. 

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You’re younger than I am and Bomber was largely finished by the time you’d have been old enough to watch him. 

Wtf you on about ya creepy obssesive weirdo.

You and your fishing gtf 🎣 you dont and wont know me.

Obsession is bad.

I attended Ibrox in the 80s as a child is all your getting.

I remember about ten years ago or more, WVB posting on here that Bomber was a cunt and he always hated him because he had given the middle finger to the Ibrox crowd while playing for Dundee once. True or not, imagine bearing a grudge through a nine year playing career for us and then well over a decade after his retirement :lol:

1 minute ago, falkirkNS said:

Wtf you on about ya creepy obssesive weirdo.

You and your fishing gtf 🎣 you dont and wont know me.

Obsession is bad.

You said you played with (or maybe against, you couldn’t quite remember which) Callum Reidford for the county at school level. Reidford is younger than I am so if you played in his age group then you’re a year younger than I am. Bomber retired in 96 - which would have made you 8 or 9 at the time - and he’d barely played in the years prior due to injury. 

Just now, JamieD said:

I remember about ten years ago or more, WVB posting on here that Bomber was a cunt and he always hated him because he had given the middle finger to the Ibrox crowd while playing for Dundee once. True or not, imagine bearing a grudge through a nine year playing career for us and then well over a decade after his retirement :lol:

Believe it was the vickies with the full up and under. Before my time but by all accounts he had a knack of scoring goals against us in the 80s and generally playing out of his skin. It comes up about 3 times a year on FF that he got a lot of stick because Bears assumed he was a Celtic fan. 

Probably the most naturally hard player I've seen at Ibrox. Him and Hurlock.

Class player too. The positional sense and strength to play CB, mobile enough and with enough technical ability to play midfield and left back. And obviously a winner and leader with it. Scored the odd decent goal too.

Would kill for a guy like him now. Ridiculous he didn't have more caps. Sometimes wonder if there was an element of snobbery about it, given on the surface he gave the impression of an honest grafter. 

20 minutes ago, ayro said:

Injection in the Achilles knowing that it was going to snap during the game is beyond mental.

This was the Aberdeen title decider when we were down to the bare bones with injuries.

0020AFA4-BEFB-4391-9C41-8922F555A340.png

What id do to have just one enforcer in our weak team.

Hopefully raskin suprises us.

40 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You said you played with (or maybe against, you couldn’t quite remember which) Callum Reidford for the county at school level. Reidford is younger than I am so if you played in his age group then you’re a year younger than I am. Bomber retired in 96 - which would have made you 8 or 9 at the time - and he’d barely played in the years prior due to injury. 

School team was a year under or over.

Do the maths and get a life ffs.

Just now, falkirkNS said:

School team was a year under or over.

Do the maths and get a life ffs.

So it wasn't the county team (which is in yearly groups)

At  best that means you're ages with me which would make you 10 at most when Bomber retired and about 7 when he stopped being a regular due to injury.

He bought me a pint in a pub in Carnoustie one night. My mate played alongside Bomber at Dundee and they had some great stories.

But it was crystal clear, even as they talked about Dens, where his heart lay and his heroics against Aberdeen (the Hateley game) were unbelievable.

Wish you could take his spirit and commitment to our club and inject into some of the shitebags and malingerers of recent times.

John Brown, maybe not a legend but definitely a hero.

:UK: