John "Bomber" Brown

falkirkNS

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Legend would not be an exaggeration in this case.

I think with eight titles, six cups, starred in some of our most iconic games of the late 89s/90s, over 200 appearances in 9 (?) seasons (which would have been more if not for injury), 9 in a row mainstay.

Defo a legend to me, anyway.

The criteria for legend is a strange one, isn't it? When you look at Brown's achievements, he should be in that category, but i don't think many view him that way, maybe because he wasn't a flair player?

Same with Ian Ferguson. Undoubtedly a club legend in my eyes (and the clubs), and i think the only player who was there for 9 in a row in it's entirety, one of the most decorated players in our history but i'm not sure a lot of fans would say he's a legend for some reason. (I hope i'm wrong there). 

Just now, Negri's lovechild said:

The criteria for legend is a strange one, isn't it? When you look at Brown's achievements, he should be in that category, but i don't think many view him that way, maybe because he wasn't a flair player?

Same with Ian Ferguson. Undoubtedly a club legend in my eyes (and the clubs), and i think the only player who was there for 9 in a row in it's entirety, one of the most decorated players in our history but i'm not sure a lot of fans would say he's a legend for some reason. (I hope i'm wrong there). 

The "real" fergie is my alltime ranger great growing up.

His views off the park too still set well with me.

Just now, falkirkNS said:

The "real" fergie is my alltime ranger great growing up.

His views off the park too still set well with me.

Another no nonsense character who would run through brick walls for the club and his team mates. 

Loved an outside of the foot crossfield pass!

6 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I think that's probably it. Not flamboyant, no goals. 

I think the term should be wide enough to include players like Brown and Ferguson though. Otherwise what's the point, really. All it would mean is brilliant for us, and would  fail to be a word that considers achievement or the other less tangible things people can bring to a club.

1 hour ago, ayro said:

Injection in the Achilles knowing that it was going to snap during the game is beyond mental.

This was the Aberdeen title decider when we were down to the bare bones with injuries.

0020AFA4-BEFB-4391-9C41-8922F555A340.png

There's a great story to this. During the game bombers Achilles goes and as he's on the turf in agony with the physio  over him Mark Walters asks the physio to get him off cause he has cramp. Said bomber was gonna get up and kill him 🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, lewislaudrup said:

There's a great story to this. During the game bombers Achilles goes and as he's on the turf in agony with the physio  over him Mark Walters asks the physio to get him off cause he has cramp. Said bomber was gonna get up and kill him 🤣🤣

Also not sure if this story is true or not, but i have read (sure it was in Goram's autobiography) that they used to have to give bomber a brown paper bag before old firm games because he would hyperventilate being that pumped up for the game 🤣

Bomber used to have history of standing out for Dundee when they played against us, anyway we had just lost the new years Derby game 2-0 at the piggery in 88....I'm sure our next away game was at Dens park in midweek.....me and my mates were at the corner of the Rangers end at the tunnel.....Bomber comes out the tunnel and gets a barrage of abuse from some bears.....he turned round put his fingers up and shouted "2-0 get it up you" obviously in reference to our defeat....we were fucking beeling with him, a few days later he signed for us and out it comes he was a big Bluenose :lol:

Happy birthday Bomber

I remember once after a game years ago my Dad and I were waiting for autographs. I had a wee Rangers autograph book and it had different coloured pages. My Dad gave the book to him to sign and Bomber said "Me, signing a green page?!". Great memory for me 😂

Quite a few real hard guys in the Rangers team over the years. My favourites that I saw play were Ian Ferguson and of course, JG. Best memory was of him laying out a St Mirren centre forward who had challenged Norrie Martin a bit too vigourously.

My old man always rated George Young and Willie Woodburn who he said were two of the toughest around and you just did not mess with them.

On 26/01/2023 at 10:46, Unionblue said:

Signed 35 years ago?  fuck , I'm getting old. :unsure:

You realise how many good players there were in the Scottish game back then that we could pick up some real quality from Dundee ... and yes I can't believe it was 35 years either :lol:

On 26/01/2023 at 13:39, Negri's lovechild said:

Fergie is (or should be) absolutely given legend status. A collossus of a midfielder who could do everything.

Brown was a big honest pro and had a big heart but a very limited footballer.