John "Bomber" Brown

falkirkNS

2 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Loved Bomber.

Heart, steel, grit, desire.

All of those things are in our dna as a club and a support. Bomber embodied the lot and for me is a bit of an unsung hero. 

Happy Birthday to him, they don't make em like him anymore.

The sadly dont mate. 

Big bassey gave us that last season.

13 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

The sadly dont mate. 

Big bassey gave us that last season.

The other day you were moaning about Lundstram taking pain killing injections and playing through an injury 

3 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

The other day you were moaning about Lundstram taking pain killing injections and playing through an injury 

Take a day off weeman 👍

No one in our current team comes near john brown for bravery. Did you grow up wi 9 in a row?

1 minute ago, falkirkNS said:

Take a day off weeman 👍

No one in our current team comes near john brown for bravery. Did you grow up wi 9 in a row?

I grew up during 9iar in the same way you had to endure Mo Johnstone 

8 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

Better days imo. 

Yeah probably for the football as I was about 19, we had our foot on their throat and life was full of opportunity.

Roll on 30 years and the world and football are in a different place some for the better some for the worse.

I would rather look forward than back but each to their own.

Remember taking a blind guy up to ibrox as he wanted to stand on the pitch and Bomber was jogging around the track, he came over and i said this is Brian and told Brian Bomber was here with us, Bomber said "welcome to Ibrox Brian, you will no doubt have heard that im the silky player here"  the boy was loving his patter. If only we had a hardy boy in the team like Bomber who just got it.

1 hour ago, falkirkNS said:

Shared from a friend.

Player Profile : John Brown (1988 to 1996)

Very best wishes to a big favourite of mine, John Brown, who turns 61 today. 

John signed for his boyhood heroes just over 35 years ago when manager Graeme Souness paid Dundee £350,000 to secure the services of the versatile 25 year old. It was money well spent but few would have predicted the contribution he would go on to make at Ibrox over almost two decades initially as a player and later as a coach. 

‘Bomber’ made his debut in a 1-1 draw at Tynecastle on 16th January 1988 but could just as easily have been lining up in maroon that day had the ‘Jam Tarts’ not pulled the plug on a deal late in the day due to concerns over an ongoing knee problem. If there were any lingering doubts over John’s fitness his mental strength and determination were always likely to overcome any minor difficulties. 

Durability was certainly not a problem during his Rangers career, he would appear in all but the last of our sequence of nine successive league championships having frustratingly suffered a barren debut partial season. In addition to those successful league title campaigns, John would feature in 3 League Cup and 3 Scottish Cup winning sides. 

A fiery red head, John was certainly not one to take prisoners but his ‘hard man’ image possibly meant that he did not receive the plaudits he deserved in terms of his playing ability. He could could play almost any position on the left hand side or centrally. His distribution was very good, he could certainly beat a player and provide a decent delivery when operating as a full-back and throughout his career he had proved he could score goals from anywhere (as we often found out to our cost). 

The treble winning season of 1992/93 was John’s greatest season at Ibrox when he formed an excellent central defensive partnership with Richard Gough. Whether up against Cantona, Boksic or Voller during our extended European run, John took it all in his stride. 

The 1990/91 league title decider with Aberdeen probably best portrays John and what the Club means to him. With the squad decimated by injury, John started the game knowing full well that he would not finish it due to an ongoing Achilles problem. As anticipated, this finally snapped during the game and John was stretched from the pitch in agony leaving the ground on crutches. Crucially by then, Rangers were well on the way to winning the match and securing ‘3 in a row’. It was a classic example of John going the ‘extra mile’ for Rangers to his own detriment. 

John would call it a day at the end of season 1995/96 going out at the very top following an emphatic Scottish Cup Final win over Hearts at Hampden. He would continue to coach and play for the Reserves and youth team for the next decade and after a period of absence later returned and continues to undertake various scouting roles. His long service was rewarded with a much deserved Testimonial once his playing career was over. 

In all, John made 278 appearances for Rangers scoring 18 goals including his favourite at Parkhead when he rifled home in front of the Rangers  support during the New Year fixture of 1992. The stuff of dreams.

🔴🔵

FB_IMG_1674728869439.jpg

You’re younger than I am and Bomber was largely finished by the time you’d have been old enough to watch him. 

1 minute ago, superallysbears said:

Fucking diddies like that getting a Scotland cap and bomber no even picked, Scotland never ever made the most of Rangers players and the country was always weaker for it.

The Leighton / Goram thing always got me.

Jim was an excellent goalie in his day, but the Goalie was world class and imo the better keeper. 

3 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

The Leighton / Goram thing always got me.

Jim was an excellent goalie in his day, but the Goalie was world class and imo the better keeper. 

Was listening to Craig Brown recently and as much as he’s boring with his stats he said Leighton kept about 36 clean sheets for Scotland which is pretty remarkable.