Enquired About Shankland

7 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Doig, Hickey and Ferguson.

We keep saying this about oh everyone else is shite, the gap is bigger it doesn't mean there isn't players to be had in the other teams.

Doig was a miss, Hickey has developed well away from Scottish football and Ferguson I didn’t rate at the time but he’s proven to develop into a decent player but for the money we would have to spend to get him we have Cantwell and Raskin.

Take the best player out of each team in the league and see where they are in our first eleven, personally don’t see that we would be any better.

2 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

A post i seen elsewhere possibly FF referred to Beale saying in January outwith us and then no striker in this league was good enough to play for us 

Shankland, Nisbet, Duk are all decent players but I don’t see any of them making us better.

We need better than what the filth have up front as that’s the bar to getting our title back, not having the best of the rest.

4 minutes ago, ayro said:

Shankland, Nisbet, Duk are all decent players but I don’t see any of them making us better.

We need better than what the filth have up front as that’s the bar to getting our title back, not having the best of the rest.

Half the forum wants our whole squad chucked, yet flip their lids when we aren’t linked with some fancy foreign name. 

We should always be taking chances from within the league too, doesn’t mean we can’t be going for Raskin/Cantwell also. 

We spent over 8m between Matondo, Colak and Davies.

Just now, J-Maestro said:

Half the forum wants our whole squad chucked, yet flip their lids when we aren’t linked with some fancy foreign name. 

We should always be taking chances from within the league too, doesn’t mean we can’t be going for Raskin/Cantwell also. 

We spent over 8m between Matondo, Colak and Davies.

I have no issue with taking chances but don’t see enough of Scottish football to suggest a handful other than kids.

Johnston at Motherwell played well against us but no idea if he’s better than Devine.

Killie have brought some young lad through that Spurs are now linked with.

Reid at St Mirren is at Palace but wasn’t starting at St Mirren and knocked back the taigs.

Colak cost 2m, I would still have him over Shankland or Nisbet.

Davies is overpriced at 4m but name another CB in our league who’s better than him outwith the taigs.

Matondo the least said the better tbh 😞 but at 2m we could have Duk from Aberdeen, he looks decent in highlight reels but again for me he’s no better than Sakala or Kent.

7 minutes ago, rangersross said:

The positive thing is, Beale’s said he’s already identified a #9 who he really wants and should become available in the summer. I’m confident whoever that is will be far better than Shankland or Duk.

Gut feeling is he would have better keeping that to himself. 

2 minutes ago, ayro said:

I have no issue with taking chances but don’t see enough of Scottish football to suggest a handful other than kids.

Johnston at Motherwell played well against us but no idea if he’s better than Devine.

Killie have brought some young lad through that Spurs are now linked with.

Reid at St Mirren is at Palace but wasn’t starting at St Mirren and knocked back the taigs.

Colak cost 2m, I would still have him over Shankland or Nisbet.

Davies is overpriced at 4m but name another CB in our league who’s better than him outwith the taigs.

Matondo the least said the better tbh 😞 but at 2m we could have Duk from Aberdeen, he looks decent in highlight reels but again for me he’s no better than Sakala or Kent.

Souttar looked just as shite as Davies for free.

5 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Souttar looked just as shite as Davies for free.

Think that’s my point mate 😂

Souttar was best of the rest last season, imo he’s not better than Goldson, Davies or a fit Helander but we have mismanaged our recruitment.

The last players the taigs brought in from Scotland are Siegrist, Turnbull and Taylor who with the exception of Taylor are squad players, he will be one next season as they tried to upgrade him last summer.

They are linked with nothing in Scotland as they have a model and a market that’s currently bringing them success, we need to do something similar.

For the money we'd have to pay for Shankland it wouldn't be worth it, he wouldn't be our number 1 striker. Does he have enough as a player to make an impact off the bench? I don't think so. 

I agree that we're too quick to turn our noses up at players in this league at times, but this one I'll be very surprised if there's any interest. Nothing about his ability really stands out. He's not particularly strong or quick, average link up play and his goalscoring record is fine at best. Doubt we're in for him anyway.

18 minutes ago, ayro said:

Think that’s my point mate 😂

Souttar was best of the rest last season, imo he’s not better than Goldson, Davies or a fit Helander but we have mismanaged our recruitment.

The last players the taigs brought in from Scotland are Siegrist, Turnbull and Taylor who with the exception of Taylor are squad players, he will be one next season as they tried to upgrade him last summer.

They are linked with nothing in Scotland as they have a model and a market that’s currently bringing them success, we need to do something similar.

Taylor has been one of their better players and has kept his place with different competition which is healthy.

Their signings are getting worse each year too. Reliant completely on the first two windows incomings.

There’s no reason we can’t do both.

1 minute ago, J-Maestro said:

Taylor has been one of their better players and has kept his place with different competition which is healthy.

Their signings are getting worse each year too. Reliant completely on the first two windows incomings.

There’s no reason we can’t do both.

Taylor took a good year if not longer to not be a liability for them. 

1 hour ago, rangersross said:

The only way I’d take Shankland is if we can replace Colak with him and have it be a net saving in terms of wages and fees in and out. 

Is that your ambition for our club? Replace an average player with another average player. 
why do you not want to replace Colak with a proper no9?

Just now, J-Maestro said:

So did Bassey for us.

Bassey was signed as a development player rather than expected to go straight into our 11.

Your broad point about trying to pick up the quality players in our league is fine. The problem is there currently doesn't seem to be many of them, if any.

I would have taken Hickey (though given who he supports it was never likely) or Ferguson, and was ambivalent to Doig given his second season was far poorer than his first. So this isn't a case of just wanting a 'fancy foreign name'.