General Transfer Talk

Broxi

5 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Fair enough, only players I recall going over there was Boyd, Miller and Stevie Mallan 😂 

Boyd going there after complaining it was too hot to play the Scottish Cup final always cracks a smile.

Kenny Miller and Allan McGregor are the only two Scottish ones I can think of that were semi-decent over there (other and Ian Wilson and Barry Douglas), they all left pretty quickly though.

2 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Kenny Miller and Allan McGregor are the only two Scottish ones I can think of that were semi-decent over there (other and Ian Wilson and Barry Douglas), they all left pretty quickly though.

Forgot McGregor went to Besiktas.

8 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Nope, Dalian Atkinson and Scott Carson also played there and were decent, though didn’t win anything.

Bizarrely this random guy from Bristol City has won two Leagues and a Cup in Turkey :lol:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Walsh_(footballer)

Played against his brother (he played for Cleator Moor Celtic) was an absolute throbber. Always used to turn up in his brother's boots/old gloves etc. Scott is sound by all accounts though. 

Random as fuck I know but 😂

8 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Carson that's who I was thinking of. Ferdinand in Turkey as a youngster just sounds bizarre now.

Weird hearing Scottish players going abroad. I remember Gary O'Connor going to Russia and looking incredible.

There’s a random English guy playing in the Colombian top flight:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Saunders_(footballer,_born_1989)

Great signing on FM as he was always cheap as fuck and no need for a work permit :lol:

31 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

They always say that you don't realise what you've got until it's gone.

I think with Kent, it's the opposite.

If we get someone in who can actually do the numbers on the left wing, it'll be more of a case of not realising what you're missing until you have it.

Kent is flashy and can look good on the ball, but he fluffs so many chances in the final third it's actually fucking criminal. He's been a passenger for too long, and one that people have been duped into believing is some sort of top tier player.

Don’t think he’s duped anyone. He’s just a weird one. Kent of 2 or 3 seasons ago with 13 goals and 15 assists in a season is a massive asset. So he has played at a very high levels for us, but like Morelos he’s also fallen off a cliff.

Given he isn’t old I really thought if his full focus was here, under Beale he could come good.

But he’s been shit this year and head is gone. So whatever now. 

16 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

There’s a random English guy playing in the Colombian top flight:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Saunders_(footballer,_born_1989)

Great signing on FM as he was always cheap as fuck and no need for a work permit :lol:

Such a random career :lol: 

39 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Carson that's who I was thinking of. Ferdinand in Turkey as a youngster just sounds bizarre now.

Weird hearing Scottish players going abroad. I remember Gary O'Connor going to Russia and looking incredible.

Rio Ferdinand? Wasn't it Anton who played there?

Shockingly in defence of kent here, bar 4 months last season, i never thought he was utilised correctly, he's never a number 10, never has been, never will be, 

His best season came when everything fell for us, but any other time he's had good bits of form has been when we have altered our system (usually after a bad result or two) and he's became more of a winger, more running at opponents, instead of coming inside and passing it 5 yards 

3 hours ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

Lack of effort isnt something that can be labelled at him for 99% of his time here

It absolutely can be since he decided he wasn't going to continue on here anymore.

Lack of talent, lack of effort, lack of ability.

Pick whichever.

8 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Shockingly in defence of kent here, bar 4 months last season, i never thought he was utilised correctly, he's never a number 10, never has been, never will be, 

His best season came when everything fell for us, but any other time he's had good bits of form has been when we have altered our system (usually after a bad result or two) and he's became more of a winger, more running at opponents, instead of coming inside and passing it 5 yards 

The whole wide 10/winger thing is another complete misnomer, excuse and myth. 

Kent has always played the same position and it's mental gymnastics to convince yourself he hasn't been. Tiny tweaks do not matter. And he has never been asked not to be direct or create attacking opportunities. 

1 hour ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Did he dupe people on our run to the Europa League final?

His part in that run doesn't gloss over his luke-warm domestic output for the last 2 years. 

41 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Don’t think he’s duped anyone. He’s just a weird one. Kent of 2 or 3 seasons ago with 13 goals and 15 assists in a season is a massive asset. So he has played at a very high levels for us, but like Morelos he’s also fallen off a cliff.

Given he isn’t old I really thought if his full focus was here, under Beale he could come good.

But he’s been shit this year and head is gone. So whatever now. 

I think people have duped themselves into thinking Ryan Kent would eventually come good. 

Like I said before, if we get someone who will actually give us the output we need in the final third, we'll realise just how badly relying on Kent has held us back.

I don't dislike Kent. Genuinely wish he could have found some consistency here. Shame the way his time here has ended.

Just now, DeanMK said:

I think people have duped themselves into thinking Ryan Kent would eventually come good. 

Like I said before, if we get someone who will actually give us the output we need in the final third, we'll realise just how badly relying on Kent has held us back.

I don't dislike Kent. Genuinely wish he could have found some consistency here. Shame the way his time here has ended.

Yeh I think we can definitely replace the Kent of this year. The Kent of a few years ago was a totally different player. And it can’t be age or injury. So I was always hopeful we could get that back

It’s just amazing how much the form of Kent, Kamara and Morelos has dropped off. 

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

I think if Lawrence had been fit this year Kent would not have played.

The fans might not have wanted him to, but I don't think there was anything from Gio or Beale to suggest he wasnt one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Lawrence is better in the midfield 3 rather than front 3 as well imo.

15 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

From the little we saw of him he would have been a far better option than Kent

Yes, we didn't see much of him but you could see he had that toughness and work rate and ability to make it at us, he was also a goal threat.

He and Kent had the same amount of goals and he's not played for months.

1 hour ago, Smile said:

From the few games we saw of Lawrence I would agree with you (although I don’t necessarily think they would have been competing for the same position under Gio).  Lawrence looks as if he had a bit of composure about him when he got in and around the opponents penalty box, a quality that Kent sadly lacked.  
I’m sure in time Kent will be better thought off for his undoubted contribution over the last few years as it is sad to see him leave with so much criticism.  Small margins in football though compared to what it could have been if he had sclaffed that chance he had in the final minutes against Eintracht into the net.

10 hours ago, Smile said:

They have the same number of goals this season. Baring in mind Lawrence has been out since what, September? For all the good that Kent has done, he just doesn't give us enough on a consistent basis. And if the next guy who comes in, may it he Palma or someone else, if they don't provide better numbers, they'll be criticised the exact same way!