Chris Jack’s Rangers Review Column

14 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think with Dessers though you look at his record over the past couple of seasons and it’s actually relatively decent (eye test should have ruled him out though) so you can almost understand that one, even though he doesn’t look like any sort of value for money either.

I just don’t see what Lammers was brought in to do. There was all this talk about him being a hybrid player, but that was just fancy speak for him being a utility man.

Either way, it’s depressing that we’ve spent what 7.5 million on two guys who were targets for us a minimum of two years 🤢

It kinda seems like MB has thought to himself that if Gerrard targeted them a few seasons back then why not bring them in for his rebuild.....in truth it is a very lazy approach and at this stage the 7.5million outlay is looking very poor value for money.....the same 7.5million could have signed us the two lads from Hacken.....Sadiq & Traore.....I don't think there would be too many of us disappointed if the club had tried a different fresh approach to recruitment 

I always found it worrying over the summer when it was revealed targets were people we had been after for 1/2/3 years. Just came across like lazy scouting and waiting for players to decline so badly that we could actually afford them.

Really hope we bin this transfer strategy and go for younger players performing well in other leagues. I do really like our transfer strategy of going for players in the last year of their contracts. Will allow us to get some great bargains for top players we otherwise couldn't afford. Raskin, regardless if there's question marks over form/actual ability, I think is the ideal transfer model for us. Young player, contract running out, cut price deal, massive potential and sell on value. 

15 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

The scoutings been honking for years, we would never have signed Colak if he hadn't scored against us, then we let the big man go despite him doing a decent turn for us :lol:

Aye we basically limit ourselves to Belgian league, players who’ve played against us, English Championship and league 1. Yet blatantly turn a blind eye to players in our actual league.

On 08/09/2023 at 09:42, esquire8 said:

Don't see it as a puff piece and certainly not from the club.

If you manage to cut through the word salad the rhetoric does nothing but talk 'the club' (i.e. board/manager/staff) up and then in the last line blames the players for letting them down.  

'fourth pillar', 'set out the foundations' 'notable achievements' 'record transactions' '£5m...falls into the positive column' 'Bennett and his board..had to commit to underwriting Beale's recruitment blueprint' 'net spend of close to £6m' 'backed by the board' 'Banfield/Day experienced sounding boards' 'as many deals as possible done before return to training' 'utilise the wage bill in a different manner' 'reduce squad size/average age - both those targets achieved' 'remarkable profit' 'Beale .. put in the hours – in trains, planes and automobiles – to sit down in front of those that he wished to recruit' 'Their personal attributes were identified, previous teams and systems analysed and a blueprint of how they would fit into the squad and the side at Ibrox was laid out. Beale’s love for the game is evident whenever he speaks and several of his signings addressed those messages as being important factors in their decision-making process' 'Rangers paid just over £1m for Cifuentes...a player that Rangers believe will be sold on for several times what was handed over to Los Angeles' 'Beale has made his decisions and the board have backed his calls.'

You can argue that it may have been the right things to do - investing the cash in the team, going above and beyond to attract players, wheeling and dealing to make up the shortfall in the PTM caused by letting assets leave for nothing.  

The counter to that argument is that it may still end up (and already looks like) the wrong players were attracted.

We've been round in circles doing this since Murray sold us down the river. Dross in, dross out and more dross in. 

It's very early in Bennett's tenure and articles like this will soften any criticism coming the way of the folk in charge. The last thing they want is their faces ending up on banners like the last lot.

On 09/09/2023 at 13:34, BridgeIsBlue said:

The scoutings been honking for years, we would never have signed Colak if he hadn't scored against us, then we let the big man go despite him doing a decent turn for us :lol:

Colak and Sakala had 30 goals between them if I remember correctly. 

Replaced by forwards who warm the bench/miss sittes/shit it on big games.

On 09/09/2023 at 12:13, Broxi said:

I always found it worrying over the summer when it was revealed targets were people we had been after for 1/2/3 years. Just came across like lazy scouting and waiting for players to decline so badly that we could actually afford them.

Really hope we bin this transfer strategy and go for younger players performing well in other leagues. I do really like our transfer strategy of going for players in the last year of their contracts. Will allow us to get some great bargains for top players we otherwise couldn't afford. Raskin, regardless if there's question marks over form/actual ability, I think is the ideal transfer model for us. Young player, contract running out, cut price deal, massive potential and sell on value. 

The problem is they would need to be mentally strong enough coz after 1 bad game folk are screaming they're shite. 

2 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Colak and Sakala had 30 goals between them if I remember correctly. 

Replaced by forwards who warm the bench/miss sittes/shit it on big games.

Beale couldn't lose with these two players though, keep them he has their stats to fsll back on as evidence, punt them he simply sides with the fans who wanted them gone for some fucking reason

Colak and sakala start against the tarriers last sunday we sit top of the table the now

38 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Beale couldn't lose with these two players though, keep them he has their stats to fsll back on as evidence, punt them he simply sides with the fans who wanted them gone for some fucking reason

Colak and sakala start against the tarriers last sunday we sit top of the table the now

Colak did absolutely f*ck all against celtic in the games he played against them. Sakala wasn’t that much better with his open goal misses too. 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Wow.

49 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

:lol:

42 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

Colak did absolutely f*ck all against celtic in the games he played against them. Sakala wasn’t that much better with his open goal misses too. 

14 minutes ago, King Jela said:

I thought thry had a lot to offer as squad options, but fuck me you've took that way too far. 

3 minutes ago, nik2402 said:

Wow.

Argue all you want, colak had one game and that was the horror show at the piggery, sakala missed a few but had scored a few as well against them, and the fact their backline was absolutely honking last sunday colak wouldnt have missed the chances we did and sakala would have ran riot against scales and the other diddy at the back

Instead we had dessers who has been fucking awful bar psv at home, roofe who was blowing out his arse early doors, danilo and lammers who have been shite, 

On 09/09/2023 at 15:57, Jack Sparrow said:

If you manage to cut through the word salad the rhetoric does nothing but talk 'the club' (i.e. board/manager/staff) up and then in the last line blames the players for letting them down.  

'fourth pillar', 'set out the foundations' 'notable achievements' 'record transactions' '£5m...falls into the positive column' 'Bennett and his board..had to commit to underwriting Beale's recruitment blueprint' 'net spend of close to £6m' 'backed by the board' 'Banfield/Day experienced sounding boards' 'as many deals as possible done before return to training' 'utilise the wage bill in a different manner' 'reduce squad size/average age - both those targets achieved' 'remarkable profit' 'Beale .. put in the hours – in trains, planes and automobiles – to sit down in front of those that he wished to recruit' 'Their personal attributes were identified, previous teams and systems analysed and a blueprint of how they would fit into the squad and the side at Ibrox was laid out. Beale’s love for the game is evident whenever he speaks and several of his signings addressed those messages as being important factors in their decision-making process' 'Rangers paid just over £1m for Cifuentes...a player that Rangers believe will be sold on for several times what was handed over to Los Angeles' 'Beale has made his decisions and the board have backed his calls.'

You can argue that it may have been the right things to do - investing the cash in the team, going above and beyond to attract players, wheeling and dealing to make up the shortfall in the PTM caused by letting assets leave for nothing.  

The counter to that argument is that it may still end up (and already looks like) the wrong players were attracted.

We've been round in circles doing this since Murray sold us down the river. Dross in, dross out and more dross in. 

It's very early in Bennett's tenure and articles like this will soften any criticism coming the way of the folk in charge. The last thing they want is their faces ending up on banners like the last lot.

King talked about front loading investment about 5-6 years ago to set up a player trading model

On 11/09/2023 at 13:22, gj923 said:

King talked about front loading investment about 5-6 years ago to set up a player trading model

It worked to an extent but we can't keep doing that.  There are 2 ways to break the cycle as I see it.

1 - massive investment to sustain success (I'd take oil money at this point - has any of the arab owned clubs actually failed yet?)
2 - do a Man Utd c.1994 and promote the kids to play alongside a solid top quality spine of a team, hopefully getting a 'conveyer belt' going but keeping the best of them longer term.

On 09/09/2023 at 12:44, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think with Dessers though you look at his record over the past couple of seasons and it’s actually relatively decent (eye test should have ruled him out though) so you can almost understand that one, even though he doesn’t look like any sort of value for money either.

I just don’t see what Lammers was brought in to do. There was all this talk about him being a hybrid player, but that was just fancy speak for him being a utility man.

Either way, it’s depressing that we’ve spent what 7.5 million on two guys who were targets for us a minimum of two years 🤢

That £7.5M or maybe very slightly more, could have bought us all of Lewis Ferguson, Dykes, Hickey, Porteus and Shankland. 

Would that have been less value and have been less effective than what we did spend it on?

8 hours ago, Jack Sparrow said:

It worked to an extent but we can't keep doing that.  There are 2 ways to break the cycle as I see it.

1 - massive investment to sustain success (I'd take oil money at this point - has any of the arab owned clubs actually failed yet?)
2 - do a Man Utd c.1994 and promote the kids to play alongside a solid top quality spine of a team, hopefully getting a 'conveyer belt' going but keeping the best of them longer term.

1 - we just need to be run well we don't need 10;s millions

2 - our support would never tolerate that

11 hours ago, Jack Sparrow said:

Look at Malaga.. these takeovers dont always work out.

11 hours ago, The Beast said:

That £7.5M or maybe very slightly more, could have bought us all of Lewis Ferguson, Dykes, Hickey, Porteus and Shankland. 

Would that have been less value and have been less effective than what we did spend it on?

You think we get the same prices as the teams that bought them

And fuck porteous, he's fucking honking,