RIP Ronnie MacKinnon

The Dude

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/09/2023 at 18:30, Bobby Hume said:

Deepest condolences to family and friends at this sad time.

From an "alleged" player who only kicked the way he was facing ..... to a skilful and dependable defender for Club and country.

Just glad to have seen him play under both descriptions .... and in both teams.

🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Just saw the whole thread mate and liked your post.
There aint too many of his generation left.
Been reading Harold Davis 'Tougher Than Bullets'
We really were spoiled for choice back then.  

2 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Just saw that mate.
Really is a beautiful spot.
Ronnie was in the 1st Rangers team i could rattle off.

I think I'm right in saying Bill Paterson preceded him at centre half. I think my first games were 58/59. Ronnie was a great player.

1 hour ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Just saw the whole thread mate and liked your post.
There aint too many of his generation left.
Been reading Harold Davis 'Tougher Than Bullets'
We really were spoiled for choice back then.  

Sad when they pass on Scotty .... and as you say we were spoiled with the mostly home grown talent back then that we had the privilege to see in the flesh.

They have left us with great memories mate .... Harold was a proper hard case and a proper war hero too.

GBNF all of them.

🇬🇧 

1 hour ago, ronniescu said:

I think I'm right in saying Bill Paterson preceded him at centre half. I think my first games were 58/59. Ronnie was a great player.

Sorry mate.
Not sure who played before Ronnie but the names i remember were Paterson and somebody Little and not even sure if Little  played CH.

ps..some of the names were part of the Iron Curtain defence :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Sad when they pass on Scotty .... and as you say we were spoiled with the mostly home grown talent back then that we had the privilege to see in the flesh.

They have left us with great memories mate .... Harold was a proper hard case and a proper war hero too.

GBNF all of them.

🇬🇧

Quite sure Harold was abducted into the hall of fame about 12/13 years ago.
Seemed to take their time with that. 

18 hours ago, ronniescu said:

Was it not Doug Ballie who played a bit at centre half just before Ronnie nailed the spot?, I seem to have a very faint memory of him playing there.

20 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

GBNF all of them.

🇬🇧

Dad has been watching the Gers since 1950 and still regards Davis as the hardest and toughest player he has seen for us, and think of the names he can reel off. 

3 hours ago, rbt1548 said:

Was it not Doug Ballie who played a bit at centre half just before Ronnie nailed the spot?, I seem to have a very faint memory of him playing there.

Your dead right. Doug Baillie followed Paterson, and for a short while was the regular centre half. Ronnie MacKinnon came through from the reserves and quickly took over from Bailie. I started going to matches at that time (while still at school - Govan High) and particularly followed Ronnie as he was a local Govan lad. As I recall he played for Benburb, before signing for us. I'm guessing he wasn't in the reserves for very long, but it's a while back (1962/1963-ish), and the old memory bank isn't as good these days :lol:

46 minutes ago, ayrshireranger said:

Dad has been watching the Gers since 1950 and still regards Davis as the hardest and toughest player he has seen for us, and think of the names he can reel off. 

Got his Tougher than Bullets book on Amazon for about £3 and in one paragraph, he grabbed Slim Jim by the strip and hoisted him off the floor with one hand. :furious:

6 hours ago, rbt1548 said:

Forgot about big Doug. Think you could be right. If only there was some method available for finding out these things