Goldson

MacBoyd

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

There are not too many of those sort of players that can do what you describe but also use the ball like a modern CB is expected to do. Even in the EPL it's quite rare to get a good balance of the two qualities. That big ponce Van Dijk is one, Romero, Stones, Saliba, Dias etc probably fall into that category but their value is measured in tens of millions.

True but again this is scottish football, its no coincidence that our only title win since coming back up was when a no nonsense, non ball playing centre half played a lot of the time 

Imagine we had finished 1-1 on Tuesday night, absolutely no one would be talking about how goldson can ping a pass and carry the ball, we'd all be screaming for a Marvin andrews type player who would not have been bullied for the goals that we lose

6 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Gough was fucking shite in his 1st 2 to 3 seasons at ibrox.

He made many's a howler.

Alot more than Goldson did in his first 2 to 3 seasons.

He was the Scottish Football Writers Player of the Year in his second season at Rangers and won a double :lol:

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

When all is said and done, Goldson will easily be in the top ten CBs ever to play for the club. Never in the same category as Grieg or Gough, but a very good player for us all the same.

Jesus thats an absolutely wild take, fair nuff your opinion but its a fucking belter

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

He was the Scottish Football Writers Player of the Year in his second season at Rangers and won a double :lol:

Gave away a shit load of penalties aswell, his timing in the tackle was fucking gash, improved immensely from 1991/92 onwards.

5 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Won a scottish title, played in a european cup semi final and captained spurs in an FA cup final all before joining us as well

And without a doubt was playing in a much tougher and better scottish football back then than goldson has faced in his time with us

5 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Jesus thats an absolutely wild take, fair nuff your opinion but its a fucking belter

He is closing in on 200 games at Rangers. That's more than Butcher, Weir, Amoruso, Boughie, Moore etc. It should stand for something surely. Especially right now, since he is the mainstay in our best teams in ages.

6 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I felt he vastly improved when Butcher broke his leg. He then became the main man in defence and had to stand up and make that position his (Leader, Captain).

I don't know if he felt stifled by Butchers presence, as Butcher was slightly his Senior and Captain of Rangers & England.

He came into his own after Butcher left, and the rest, as they say is history.

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

When all is said and done, Goldson will easily be in the top ten CBs ever to play for the club. Never in the same category as Grieg or Gough, but a very good player for us all the same.

No chance.

Richard Gough
George Young
Willie Woodburn
Terry Butcher
Ronnie McKinnon
Davie Weir
Jimmy Simpson
Davie Meiklejohn
Arthur Dixon
Tom Forsyth
Colin Jackson
Madjid Bougherra

2 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

I felt he vastly improved when Butcher broke his leg. He then became the main man in defence and had to stand up and make that position his (Leader, Captain).

I don't know if he felt stifled by Butchers presence, as Butcher was slightly his Senior and Captain of Rangers & England.

Richard Gough signed for Rangers on October 2 1987.

Butcher broke his leg on November 17 1987.

So he was shite for 6 weeks and then was good?

You're all over the place.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

No chance.

Richard Gough
George Young
Willie Woodburn
Terry Butcher
Ronnie McKinnon
Davie Weir
Jimmy Simpson
Davie Meiklejohn
Arthur Dixon
Tom Forsyth
Colin Jackson
Madjid Bougherra

You've mentioned five players neither of us saw, mate. :lol:

Fair enough. I was only going by memory.

6 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Butcher broke his leg in the same season Gough signed 

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Richard Gough signed for Rangers on October 2 1987.

Butcher broke his leg on November 17 1987.

So he was shite for 6 weeks and then was good?

You're all over the place.

I thought Butcher broke his leg November 89? V Aberdeen

9 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

He is closing in on 200 games at Rangers. That's more than Butcher, Weir, Amoruso, Boughie, Moore etc. It should stand for something surely. Especially right now, since he is the mainstay in our best teams in ages.

Games mean nothing, morelos played 178 times for us, he's absolutely no where near in the top ten strikers to ever play for the club

8 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

He’s played nearly 300 games for us. He’s only won 1 title and 2 cups. 

For comparison, Bougherra played just over 100 and won 3 titles and 3 cups. 

Goldson doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as these other guys  

9 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

You've mentioned five players neither of us saw, mate. :lol:

Fair enough. I was only going by memory.

There's a few more than five on that list that I never saw but the club is 152 years old.

We've had some great players and are literally the most successful club ever which means its pretty easy to say someone like Willie Woodburn or George Young has a better record of achievement for Rangers over Goldson.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

There's a few more than five on that list that I never saw but the club is 152 years old.

We've had some great players and are literally the most successful club ever which means its pretty easy to say someone like Willie Woodburn or George Young has a better record of achievement for Rangers over Goldson.

I'm not disputing they weren't. They have legendary status.

Yeah, I didn't think you were old enough to see Forsyth & Jackson. I did. Two good servants of the club.